Bush Food

tboykin

Years ago I used to just take canned goods, chili, stew, you name it, but my buddy reminded me a long time ago that good meals out in the goldfields, prepared over a open fire both fuels you properly and eases your mind and allows for downtime to think about where I detected and where I haven't. This allows me to put more clues together to get onto the nuggets. For years now I will take Ribeyes, New York steaks, wild Alaskan sockeye salmon grilled over a fire pit with garlic, lime juice, and Ginger powder coating the salmon. Fried potatoes. Sauteed mushrooms and onions in butter. One time I told a friend he need to get out of town for a while and unwind, so I had him go detecting with me for 5 days. I told him to bring plenty of food for three meals a day, five days. He showed up with a small bag of frozen veggies and a small pack of two round steaks and a case or two of beer. And he brought his fishing pole. I had two coolers with meats, milk, medium cheddar cheese (Tillemuk), and two storage tots with dry good foods. I always go prepared for just about anything into the goldfields.sometimes even a portable shower, til it broke. Will be getting a new one this spring. They have come out with some nice options recently. A well made tasty meal and a hot shower can keep me going for along time. I have done this for as much as 7 months at a time. I don't like being miserable out there. It affects your morale and your positive outlook for finding gold.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Norvic said:

If you`ve enjoyed a thick steak singed on the outside but rare grilled over an open fire lathered with mushroom/butter sauce, mashed spuds with garlic and onion diced into and mouth watering reconstituted dried vegies washed down with a port, an Expresso coffee, beer or cognac whatever you desire, under a blanket sky of a Zillion stars, again if you`d enjoyed such then you know where I`m coming from.

Wow, that's better than I get at home!  The zillion stars alone has me pining for a post-pandemic trip out West (USA).

• Like 2

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I know when I am older (and probably rounder) I may want to cook good food and drink beer after a day of digging. But for the next 20 years or so I will leave the gourmet meals and single malt for the true sensualists.

Most places I go aren't trailer/RV friendly. Traveling light, conserving water, space and energy are important. I almost see time out in the bush as my "40 days in the desert" - a spiritual fast even (and I often lose a few pounds). This thread is giving me better ideas for how I can expand beyond a diet of beans, peanut butter, tortillas, emergen-c packets and water without becoming Gordon Ramsey.

One thing I learned the hard way is canned fish in bear country can add substantially to the adventure factor.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, tboykin said:

One thing I learned the hard way is canned fish in bear country can add substantially to the adventure factor.

And if you want real adventure, don’t even pack any food along; just go full-on Bear Grylls:

https://www.storypick.com/bear-grylls-foods/ 🤣
And as for what he drinks...I won’t even go there.🤮

• Haha 7
  • Oh my! 1

My favorites are whatever Sourdough Scott has with him. The quantity varies depending on the quality of my starving prospector act. When I am by myself I carry various forms of salted cholesterol. When I Forget my lunch (with my pick) I resort to pine nuts and acorns. I do always keep a meal or two of whatever will survive for weeks in the bottom of my backpack -sardines, dried fruits, jerky...                        

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

When I’m out in the bush or away camping (I’m yet to have a proper prospecting trip) I like to eat well. Yes, I’ll still have the bush foods that I won’t normally eat at home, but I will still enjoy a decent evening meal and a good cup of coffee (or 3) in the morning. Eating well, especially when away for long periods, will help in keeping you well, especially if out in the elements. Another is good hydration. If you’re out in the elements, you’ll dehydrate a hell of alot quicker than you would if you were at home. Carry good food, and plenty of water, especially if out for long periods.

• Like 2

Before I go away I have my wife go on a cooking spree of lasagne, spaghetti bolognese, bami and other variations of pasta / mince and freeze it into single portions.  I have a fridge/freezer in the 4x4 on a separate battery hooked up to a solar panel.  So after I have my steak and sausages carried in the fridge first I move onto the wife's frozen foods and vegetables heated up wrapped in aluminium foil and on the fire coals. Normally what I take lasts more then five days.  Theres no need to go hungry when camping.  Works for me.

Whoops sorry just saw the bit about no refrigeration, that takes me out then, I'm done.

Jack

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

Im with Klunker, some days are rough when I forget that lunch.  Then its Manzanita berries  and Blackberries. 

Hey the Bears love em and they sure scamper up those hills pretty darn quick, so there's something to say about that organic diet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Grandfather and I would take Keystone canned meats of various types with us along with some BBQ sauce and other items. Each can would be 2 meals for a single person with some left over. We would make a beef stew that would be some of the best you would ever eat, and then take the rest of the can and make BBQ beef sandwiches for lunch. They have beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and they all are high quality and taste good with a little seasoning.

I will say the beef sorta smalls funny, but the taste is really good.

The way they are canned they last about 5 years so if you forget about them you don't have to worry as they are still good. I am not going to give any recipes as I am not that great of a cook yet and don't want to make anyone sick. We would also have plenty to drink of various types to go with what ever we were eating.

Remember that you will burn through the calories while detecting so eat well and drink plenty.

• Like 1