Rural Internet Is Here!

zortan

EDIT:  This post contains mistaken information.  Please accept my apology.  At this time it is not possible to travel greater than 300 miles with a starlink antenna.  Please read entire thread on page 2 for clarification.  My bad fellas.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that starlink is finally accepting pre-orders.

For those who don't know this is Elon Musk's satellite internet which is super fast and has no data caps.  The service is 100 bucks a month and 500 to buy the equipment.  To enter the pre-order is only 100 refundable deposit.  

I've done alot of research on this and it looks like the antenna is small enough that I could easily carry it in my camper and set it up wherever I am.  The power usage is only 300 watts w/ dish motors running and 150 without.  SO this could easily run with a battery and inverter for a number of hours, no 24 hour a day generator.  I'm super excited to have an option for when I am far away from civilization.

Go to starlink.com and get signed up if you wanna!

download.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

Does it have a metal detector attached to it? Or maybe it comes with a free GPZ? This looks like dodgy advertising to me.. like the telemarketers who keep calling me..  

2 minutes ago, zortan said:

Nah man I just thought someone else may have the same problem I do with connectivity when I’m off on claims.  I hate having to drive 20 miles to just call the wife.  I’m super stoked about it.

I agree! Can't wait for the service. With no phone landline and no cell service, this provides a way to keep in contact without having to drive for miles. Especially in an emergency!!!

I can highly recommend the Iridium Sat Phone. It has reasonable monthly plans and let you call anywhere in the world, from anywhere. Works even from deep canyons.

https://www.iridium.com/products/iridium-extreme/

• Like 1

Heard and advertising today in Aust. $700 for Equipment and $115 per month AUD dollars. However most of Aust. is covered by Telstra and remote areas that have big mining company are in Telstra coverage. 

• Like 1

Did they get it sorted out to where they allow customers to move the dish to areas other than where they started service? When I first signed up for the beta they said it would only be allowed to work within some short distance from where your service address was at and didn't allow travel. Would be nice if they changed that since then.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jasong said:

Did they get it sorted out to where they allow customers to move the dish to areas other than where they started service? When I first signed up for the beta they said it would only be allowed to work within some short distance from where your service address was at and didn't allow travel. Would be nice if they changed that since then.

I think that was because during the beta the constellation wasn’t/probably still isn’t set up completely yet.  When they launch though for reals it should have pretty much full coverage.  Keep in mind these satellites are much lower than say dish networks so you could pretty easily leave the coverage area.  

Thinking harder about it though it would be conceivable the ground stations could be attached to a particular latitude or longitude which and string x of the constellation may not communicate with string y.  I’ll have to look more into it.

7 minutes ago, zortan said:

Thinking harder about it though it would be conceivable the ground stations could be attached to a particular latitude or longitude which and string x of the constellation may not communicate with string y.  I’ll have to look more into it.

Yep, it was something with them physically limiting how far you could move the dish from the service address you signed up with, I'm guessing they would disable it if it left a zone.

But that was a while back, and I was just barely outside of the beta test area and not eligible, so I haven't looked at it for a year or more and things might have changed now that way more satellites are up. If you can move the dish around across many states then that would be awesome and I'm gonna get it and cancel my cable internet.