Rural Internet Is Here!

zortan

Great, streaks in my astronomical time-lapse photos of the Milky Way and one less excuse for not being able to get calls from the office while “working at home”! 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, geof_junk said:

Heard and advertising today in Aust. $700 for Equipment and $115 per month AUD dollars. However most of Aust. is covered by Telstra and remote areas that have big mining company are in Telstra coverage. 

The big Mining Companies pay Telstra to put towers on their sites for coverage. I know where I work has a tower.

• Like 1

Well damn it looks like the starlink isn’t quite where we need it yet.  There are cells that the satellites schedule service to as they pass over dictated by geometry.  I was able to find this though so it looks like it’s coming.

According to the Starlink team, the ability to move your system to a new location is coming eventually, though as you might’ve guessed it’ll depend in part on having more satellites in the sky. There’s no word on just how many satellites that actually means, nor what sort of timeline might be involved to get there, and there’ll apparently be new hardware and software required too. It’s not entirely clear at this stage whether you’ll be able to simply roam around, digital nomad style, and have the dish keep you connected regardless, or if this is more about registering new fixed addresses whenever you move house, but it still seems like good news for the longer-term prospects of Starlink.”

If your curious I was also able to find a cell map which shows the coverage for the individual cells.  So you would have service in whatever your home cell is but currently not out of it.  The cells are quite large but not quite where I need them to be.

https://sebsebmc.github.io/starlink-coverage/index.html

Here in OZ we have NBN Sky Muster that allows internet, streaming of movies and coupling of mobile phones. But it is a high altitude Geosynchronous Satellite thus needs a big fixed disk, works tops but not suited to portable use. Bit of a lag, as I often reply to a thread on DP only to find after posting some one else posted same info seconds before. But it is a Godsend for remote areas like where I`m at. Be extra special when Musk gets his system up and is reliable, service that is portable.

6 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Heard and advertising today in Aust. $700 for Equipment and $115 per month AUD dollars. However most of Aust. is covered by Telstra and remote areas that have big mining company are in Telstra coverage. 

Lol Yeah in west oz where its pretty flat its like you say... come on over to Queensland plenty of spots where you are hours even a days drive from phone reception. Same in western NSW and parts of the northern NSW blue mountains.

What a great technology as long as they dont use it to spy on you, Im definitly going to look into installing it in my prospecting rig.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gold Hound said:

Lol Yeah in west oz where its pretty flat its like you say... come on over to Queensland plenty of spots where you are hours even a days drive from phone reception. Same in western NSW and parts of the northern NSW blue mountains.

That will keep the younger completion away, they can't live without their phones😀 

• Like 1

Pretty exciting times.  People are realizing they can work from home/the road just as well and starlink will bring high speed access anywhere.  I think vanlife and moving to more rural areas will be a popular trend over the next decade.  I'm working on plans for a boondocking trailer so I can hit the road for a few weeks at a time.  For now, people speak pretty highly of cell phone boosters if you are relatively close to coverage areas. 

https://www.teslarati.com/elon-musk-starlink-internet-phone-service-confirmed/

Looks like he's going to offer phone service through the Starlink network now too.

• Like 1