I am trying to put a new connection onto my ls pelso headphones, the original connector was only chrome plated, it rusted and somehow got bent.  The connector I want to use is a 90deg gold plated one that I have from another crappy pair of earbuds I got on ebay. 

I thought they'd have the same wires but after cutting them open they are different.  

The Lspelsos have a red wire and a white wire.  Thr Earbud connector has a red white and yellow wire.  

After connecting the reds to the whites and plugging it in to the equinox there was no sound

Can anyone offer any advice?

Much appreciated and hh

20210210_120224.jpg

20210210_120106.jpg

20210210_120000.jpg

• stevejhgla changed the title to Headphone Cable Help

Well a couple of things!  That connector you have to the Equinox is a sub-standard hunk of junk. I just had mine fail and someone that knows connectors gave me the story on those. 

As for your connection. It won't hurt to find out what your correct parings are if you are wrong.  I would try red/red  white/white and yellow to bare. 

Work on getting a QUALITY connector to your detector!  

Dave

• Like 1

I was just fighting with the same connector last night. After hours of searching, I ordered a different cable but don’t need it waterproofed.

I would suggest you search in all the detecting forums for a member that builds headphones and contact them. I read of a couple years last year but don’t remember who or where.

Good luck.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, stevejhgla said:

After connecting the reds to the whites and plugging it in to the equinox there was no sound

Also one more thing I forgot. Once you have all the wires bare, hit them quickly with an open flame to make sure they do not have a coating on the little wire strands. There are examples on Youtube.  I just spliced my cable two days ago and I was Red/Red White/White and Black to Bare. 

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, midalake said:

I just spliced my cable two days ago and I was Red/Red White/White and Black to Bare. 

By bare you mean the exposed copper wire right?

Last night I connected red/red/yellow and white/white.  It gave me sound but it was very faint....I'll take a crack at it again tonight.

Also I'll look into grabbing a new connector as well.  

Once I get the connections good I am transplanting everything into the 3m peltors like joe beechnut did to his excal headphones.  The LS pelsos are quite uncomfortable after a couple of hours hunting.

Thanks!

52 minutes ago, midalake said:

Also one more thing I forgot. Once you have all the wires bare, hit them quickly with an open flame to make sure they do not have a coating on the little wire strands. There are examples on Youtube.  I just spliced my cable two days ago and I was Red/Red White/White and Black to Bare. 

I think I saw that video too I'll make sure to do that 

On 2/11/2021 at 10:37 AM, stevejhgla said:

Can anyone help me source a good connector?

Thanks.

I would contact Tony Eisenhower, he makes headphones for the Nox. Maybe he will see this?  

• Like 2