Return To Detecting

I'm starting up detecting again so I'm looking for opinions on a new machine. Money is an issue, but I know a descent machine will cost a little bit. So far I'm leaning towards a Fisher F22 or one of the Garret models. By all means, give me opinions on not just those mentioned, but any that would be good for someone not too far above beginner (have to learn everything again).

• Like 1

Welcome, Tony!

What type of detecting are you going to do (espcially will you have it in water)?  Where are you located (approximately -- that helps with mineralization concerns)?  And if you can give a budget or price ceiling, that would be helpful.

Do you have a hand-held pinpointer (big help in the turf)?  If not I would suggest holding out some of your budget for one of those.

• Like 2

Hello Tony,

I'm with GB! We need more information to properly answer! And you may want to post under the meet and greet!

Welcome to the forum!👍👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tony, Welcome back to detecting, and as GB and Joe said, tell us a little about what you want to do. School yards, ball fields, dry and or wet sand beaches, coins or relics, or a little bit of all of that?

I'm going to stick my neck out a tad, and make a recommendation anyways. The one stand-out best bang for the buck, all around excellent detector is a Nokta Makro Simplex, or just Simplex. Offered without wireless headphones, it's about $250; with wireless headphones, about $340. 5 pre-configured modes; Field (farm), Park1, Park2, Beach, and All Metal. You can tweak the factory pre-sets, change notch, adjust iron level audio separate from the other tones. It has 5 tones, pinpointer, build-in  rechargeable battery, vibrating handle (on-off), a forward facing flashlight for night use, and are you ready for this... it is waterproof to 10'. That opens up a lot more options, and another big plus is very high quality build. Rugged but not heavy.

Almost forgot; downloadable factory updates.

• Like 1