GPX Detector Turning On On Its Own

Johnno481

Has anyone experienced a GPX detector turning on of it’s own accord? My detecting mate has a GPX4500 which turns on while he is travelling slowly on his quad bike. Yet he cannot make it do the same by bumping or tapping the detector. It was sent to Minelab to try and correct the problem but without success. If you have experienced the same phenomena and found the cause he would love to be enlightened.

• Oh my! 2

• The title was changed to GPX Detector Turning On On Its Own

I've sold thousands of GPX detectors and have yet to hear/see this problem.  I would have thought the switch was bad, but you said it was sent in to Minelab, so that would have been checked.

In the meantime, I recommend disconnecting the power supply when in travel ( to/from ) the detecting site.

• Like 6

What a Puzzle!

Only theory I would suggest is that close proximity to the quad's high voltage spark plug discharge could be initiating the detector start sequence by inductance.

As Gerry suggests - pull the power plug.

• Like 1

Mine did also and I suspected it was my gold screamer setup doing the same thing. I cleaned it up and no issues since. Do you have one on yours? +1 for Gerry- his suggestion is right and that solved the issue of arriving somewhere with a accidentally drained battery.

• Like 3