The Face Value Total Of The Coins You Found In 2020 ?

Seeing this was my first year hunting parks with a detector i was curious to see if you wiley veterans left any coins for some of us guys just getting started. I guess i did alright, but not quite as good as the guys before me. I found about $230 in clad, 5 silver coins and a group of unusual, or foreign coins.   

IMG_1825.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1733 (1).jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Hardtimehermit said:

Seeing this was my first year hunting parks with a detector i was curious to see if you wiley veterans left any coins for some of us guys just getting started. I guess i did alright, but not quite as good as the guys before me. I found about $230 in clad, 5 silver coins and a group of unusual, or foreign coins.

I think the 'wiley veterans' were there back in the 80's or early 90's and got most of the silver.  The clad has been piling up since and you vacuumed that up.  Did you count your Wheat pennies?  Did you search your Jefferson nickels for the key and semi-key dates?  Seeing that you are in the Far West you have a better chance of finding some of the -S mintage scarcest ones like the 1938-S.  No silver War Nickels?

You may have posted earlier about the Walking Liberty Half.  What's the story on that?   (I'm sure you remember.  😁)

• Like 1

Yea GB thanks for your comment. I will fill in some blanks in my report, first your right it seems most if not all silver is gone from public parks, after i hit some parks and sucked up the clad, sure does not seem to be replenishing very fast these days. I had not counted my wheaties till this morning, and looks like 27 no rare dates. The same with nickels most were new and no Jeffersons, nor war nickels. I wanted a war nickel so bad, i happened to dump a glass jar full of change and found one in there, not a rare date, but cool to have one. Finally my Walking Liberty was found in my backyard near the fence line, and after further searching i turned up some old buttons, so i am pretty sure i found where the old cloths line used to be. My house was built in 1924 and I'm only the 3rd owner, so there's probably still finds waiting. ht 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hardtimehermit said:

...My Walking Liberty was found in my backyard near the fence line, and after further searching i turned up some old buttons, so i am pretty sure i found where the old cloths line used to be. My house was built in 1924 and I'm only the 3rd owner, so there's probably still finds waiting.

If I could just hunt under (unsearched) clotheslines the rest of my life I'd be one very happy detectorist!  I bet there are some Wheaties as well as silver dimes there awaiting your future hunts.  I think the smaller coins had a better chance of going unnoticed.  You mentioned being near the fenceline.  Does that mean you are so close that you are picking up metal in the fence (i.e. not being able to cover the full width of the clothesline footprint)?

• Like 1

Actually the old cloths line ran 90 degrees to existing fence, because i have learned the lot next door was originally part of this property and i recall a old metal cloths line frame on the other side of the fence, so my problem with getting permission to hunt next door is just the fact the renter is building a tiny house, that's taken 2 years and counting so some day i will get a chance.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hardtimehermit said:

Actually the old cloths line ran 90 degrees to existing fence, because i have learned the lot next door was originally part of this property and i recall a old metal cloths line frame on the other side of the fence, so my problem with getting permission to hunt next door is just the fact the renter is building a tiny house, that's taken 2 years and counting so some day i will get a chance.  

I found the only silver coin in my yard under the cloth line.

• Like 1

Besides clotheslines being mostly a thing of the past! The modern washer and dryer collect all that loose change now! Trying to get the coins out of the machines is not nearly as fun, or profitable as detecting those oldies!

** A little side note! If you ever have a washer that has problems draining, (other than a clogged pipe) there is a small strainer in the washer plumbing that is accessible with some effort (or alot), that catches such items! Like coins, hairpins, small jewelry, tiny clothing items like baby socks, etc...  My 14 year old washer is a super pain in the butt to clean out! But newer washer's are better engineered for such maintenance!  Also, on dryer's with the plastic fins, the coin's slid in them and rattle around! If you just flex the fins a little, gravity will do the rest! (l could start a repair forum, with all that i have fixed over the last 40 years!! What can i say; I'm cheap, and don't trust repairmen!!  Also, an occasional way to earn some cash, throughout my life!)

That will be $80 dollars, for the unsolicited service call advice!!🤣👍👍

Joe, I thought you were going to tell us how to find old coins in tossed out appliances -- kinda like searching the sofa for pocket change that has worked it's way down deep into the innards.

Here's a related story.  Back in the late 60's when I was in high school I was hanging around with friends, riding our bikes (still did that in HS) and they took me to a vacant lot where there were 2 or 3 old cars (late 40's or early 50's models) that were upside down and for which someone had burned out the insides.  I looked around inside and on the roofs (the inside of the roofs since these were sitting on them) and found a couple Wheat pennies.

Fast forward almost 40 years, I was on a GPAA claim in Arizona and there was a late 50's auto resting on its side near an abondoned mine.  I remember the treasure find of my youth and pushed the car over on its back, both looking inside but also detecting the ground where the side had previously rested.  Sad ending this time as I found no coins, but a couple of relics salved the wounds.

• Like 1