Are All 800's Created Equal?

Tometusns

The reason I ask is because a number of the guys in our club have 800's. When we go on hunts there have been times I'll hit a target and they'll want to listen to it. Many times they don't hear it or maybe just barely with theirs My machine is just out of warranty now and I'm reluctant to get a different one for that reason. I've heard stories about  machines being hotter than others or...just maybe better?  Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Tometusns said:

The reason I ask is because a number of the guys in our club have 800's. When we go on hunts there have been times I'll hit a target and they'll want to listen to it. Many times they don't hear it or maybe just barely with theirs My machine is just out of warranty now and I'm reluctant to get a different one for that reason. I've heard stories about  machines being hotter than others or...just maybe better?  Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

I’ve wondered the same thing.  Were their machines set up exactly the same way as yours?  Even a slight difference like recovery speed could make a difference.  

• Like 4

I agree with NCtoad.  You really have to go through all the settings and make sure all the machines are set up identically in order to make any 1:1 comparisons.

• Like 1

That's the reason I'm keeping mine some were set up the same and others weren't. Still I didn't think the targets were anything special. Actually didn't say anything but in the back of my mind I was sure thinking. You know, wondering why they weren't hitting the target. Anyways I don't see mine going anywhere. lol

I had the same thought after sending my coil in for replacement. Maybe it’s the hand wound coils too?

My new coil and same 800 seems more stable and sensitive.

Also just read warranty and MInelab may use ‘refurbished’  parts to replace and warranty claims. 

• Like 2

How close were the machines while checking the targets?  Were they noise canceled near each other?  Different noise cancel selections?   So many random RF variables come in to play when these machines are within 10 feet of each other it’s hard to pin it down really. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Noah (FL) said:

How close were the machines while checking the targets?  Were they noise canceled near each other?  Different noise cancel selections?   So many random RF variables come in to play when these machines are within 10 feet of each other it’s hard to pin it down really. 

We would hold the coils away from each other when checking. We hunt close together a lot and if there is a problem with another machine hitting the noise cancel seems to take care of it. At the last hunt there were five of us hunting in close proximity of each other with 800's and I did have to noise cancel once. It's just something I wondered about. Not everyone else's machine has failed to acknowledge the target but I can think of a couple of them that certainly did. Who knows...the idea of it being the coil could hold some merit..🤔

• Like 1

I wondered about this awhile back so I tested my two EQX800s in my test garden. 

I set them up exactly the same, noise canceled each and kept them apart so they would not interfere with each other.  The results; they performed exactly the same ...which actually surprised me somewhat.  I expected some small degree of variance but that wasn't the case with my two. 👍

• Like 7

Do all Equinoxes have the same firmware, and exactly the same program settings? and GB?..

....if you think you have a better coil, you and your colleagues can switch the coil to the second detector. and compare the signal...

• Like 6