Are All 800's Created Equal?

Tometusns

I own an 800 and two 600's.  I have not found any discernable difference if I am running the same settings between them (I have tested all combinations of two at a time, but not all three at the same time). 

What I have noticed is that even with just a slight difference in attack angle, the Equinox reaction could be different, or even non-existent - especially on the deeper/iffier targets.  It is easier to re-create your own swing pattern, but two people swinging (speed, attack angle, distance off the ground... etc, etc, etc) is even more difficult to exactly re-create.  In my opinion this is one of the reasons why locations are "never hunted out".  So many variables... also what makes this so fun!  ~Tim.

• Like 6

Apologies. For some good reason ML decided to put a DC blocking capacitor on the output stage to drive the coil. As you may know, these age with time and may present an extra impedance on the signal path, potentially lowering coil emissions. How they degrade and when it becomes a problem is hard to say, but it is a gradual to a point. Can be 2000h, can be 20000h. It's Panasonic OSCON, it seems, they have in there, but not sure which series. They are highly regarded and reliable component. Potentially new Nox may outperform one few years old in some scenarios where raw power is needed. Driver is AO4882 if anyone is interested.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This question came up on another forum and you would think these days detectors like the Minelab Equinox would not have any fluke units where one was better or worse than the next. Back in the day I'm pretty sure this was not true with analog detectors where electronic parts were probably procured at the cheapest price the manufacturer could procure them, and substitute parts with differing tolerances were probably used. I have read where people will have a vintage guitar amp recapped with new in spec capacitors and the amp loses the great tone it had before. Actually that's why certain guitar amps back in the day of the same model might have a few that sounded unbelievable compared to the rest. I would think old school analog detectors would suffer from in or out of tolerance stacking much more than today's units.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, longbow62 said:

This question came up on another forum and you would think these days detectors like the Minelab Equinox would not have any fluke units where one was better or worse than the next.

Who said this would only include the electronics???  👀 :cool:

I've been out with my nox 800 friend again yesterday .. and all of the sudden had extreme interference noise, hunting impossible. Turned out he had changed the detection mode and probably switched to single frequency. Now for the scary part: I've been 10-20 meters away from him and his detector!

I've been out with him hundreds of times and know switching modes sometimes produces interference, but this time it has really been insane. Probably an odd combination of Noice Cancellation settings. After a nother NC on one machine everthing went ok. Did the NC on my machine and I've found more :ph34r::laugh:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sinclair said:

I've been out with him hundreds of times and know switching modes sometimes produces interference, but this time it has really been insane. Probably an odd combination of Noice Cancellation settings.

It’s just a 1 in 19 chance (5%) every time you hunt with your buddy that the both of you would be on the same noise channel when you both turn on your machines.

11 hours ago, Raphis said:

It’s just a 1 in 19 chance (5%) every time you hunt with your buddy that the both of you would be on the same noise channel when you both turn on your machines.

No.. you can't really calculate the chance, because in my experience the machine has the tendency choose between maybe 2-5 numbers *most* of the time + Noice Chancel is a local setting. It happend during the hunt while switching modes. Imagine 5 people hunting..

To be honest - if the machine runs quiet, I don't fiddle with the NC. Mostly, because the upper numbers interfere with my F-Pulse pinpointer. That results in -7/-8 in 80% of the time.

12 hours ago, Sinclair said:

No.. you can't really calculate the chance, because in my experience the machine has the tendency choose between maybe 2-5 numbers *most* of the time + Noice Chancel is a local setting.

That’s not the way the auto noise cancel works on the Equinox.  The machine will scan the entire spectrum of channels (-9 to +9) and select the channel with the least interference.  Maybe your experience when you do a noise cancel with your Nox in “your” detection sites seems to only select 2-5 different channels most of the time, but I can assure you I have seen every noise channel Selected on my Nox....I hunt in urban city parks here in LA, and the EMI changes multiple times depending on where I hunt within most of the parks here....I noise cancel at least 10 times in a 3-4 hr hunt...baseball fields with large pole lights are notorious for EMI.....as are electronic sprinkler systems, and Rec center burglar alarms.