Looking For Advice

Swegin

I have a GPX 5000 that needs a new circuit board.  Cost is $2100.  So my question is pay the $2100 or apply that towards a 6000?  Then I go back and forth if I go for the 6000 why not get a 7000 I know I can get a new 7000 for $6000 or less.  

I bought the 5000 from a pawn shop for $450.00 yes $450.00 I knew it had an issue but never thought that board would be 2100 bucks.  It had been repaired once before for the same issue that I was having.  Minelab replaced a few components for the previous owner but now they have to replace the board.  So basically I would have a brand new 5000 for $2550 per the Minelab tech.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Swegin said:

It had been repaired once before for the same issue that I was having.  Minelab replaced a few components for the previous owner but now they have to replace the board.  So basically I would have a brand new 5000 for $2550 per the Minelab tech.

So the previous owner had a problem, sent it in for repair, and it came back with the same (maybe now hidden booby trap) problem which has since revealed itself as a bad circuit board.

Is there a warranty (more than the minimal 30 or 60 days) if you get the unit repaired?  If there is something else wrong with the detector (that hasn't been diagnosed) and it cooks another circuit board you aren't going to be happy (unless it's warranteed).

• Like 4

Swegin,

Gerrys detectors will be selling some used, traded in units soon, if not already! You can price those if looking for a deal!  He is now taking preorders on the 6000 also! And you can get a 15% discount if you have military service! Something to consider!

It's free to talk to him! This may help direct your decision! He's a great guy, and dealer!

Good luck on whatever unit you decide!👍👍

• Like 2

If it were me in that situation and I was ready to drop the $6k on a 7000, I'd probably wait a bit longer and see how the 6000 does in the field. It always pays in my experience to have the best equipment possible for the conditions. It really boils down to what the conditions are in which you detect though.

I want my gear to excel in the areas I mostly detect in. Generally in AZ I want depth in mild to medium ground and versatility. In NV I want salt performance, coverage and depth. The 6000 checks some nice boxes there so far, I'm just not sure how much and in what ways yet.

I don't detect CA, but 6 and 7k lack discrim. The 6k is hitting a 0.03g nugget with a 14" DD in Cancel, so how is that 11" mono going to do in CA trashy mining camp areas if one wants it for the smaller/lighter coil? Will it require you to back off the gain so much that the 7000 outpunches it enough to be frustrating?

It depends where you detect and what sort of gold you are chasing I think. I can see cases where either of all 3 detectors might conceivably be the preferable choice though, especially if money is a consideration.

• Like 3

You might just try this company. Circuit Board Medics. They deal primarily with automotive and industrial circuit boards, but also do many other applications. You can also write and ask about specialty board repairs.

I had them do my truck instrument cluster circuit board and it only cost me $100.00 including shipping and a lifetime guaranty. They were very helpful and will give you an honest answer regarding if they can repair it and how much it will cost.

At the price for replacement you listed it would not hurt or cost anything to ask.

• Like 9

Swegin,

I'm thinking this is not your first GPX.  Did you buy it to fix it and sell it?

What do you have now?

As Jason said, what gold do you target?

Mitchel

2 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

You might just try this company. Circuit Board Medics. They deal primarily with automotive and industrial circuit boards, but also do many other applications. You can also write and ask about specialty board repairs.

I had them do my truck instrument cluster circuit board and it only cost me $100.00 including shipping and a lifetime guaranty. They were very helpful and will give you an honest answer regarding if they can repair it and how much it will cost.

At the price for replacement you listed it would not hurt or cost anything to ask.

Pretty impressive place.  One problem that might be too much to overcome is if they need the circuit diagram -- good luck getting that from Minelab (or any detector manufacturer for that matter).   But, heck, the way their website makes them sound they might relish working on the GPX board in the form of a real challenge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

So the previous owner had a problem, sent it in for repair, and it came back with the same (maybe now hidden booby trap) problem which has since revealed itself as a bad circuit board.

Is there a warranty (more than the minimal 30 or 60 days) if you get the unit repaired?  If there is something else wrong with the detector (that hasn't been diagnosed) and it cooks another circuit board you aren't going to be happy (unless it's warranteed).

No it worked for years apparently, then died again so the guy sold it to the pawn shop without a battery which was pretty smart on his part.   I had to borrow a battery from a friend.  I knew what i was getting into kind of.  

4 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Gerry, of Gerrys detectors will be selling some used, traded in units soon, if not already! You can price those if looking for a deal! And get 15% off military discount to boot!

That is only good on new products not used.  

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I'm thinking this is not your first GPX.  Did you buy it to fix it and sell it?

What do you have now?

No I started with a 3500 then sold that during the Sudan gold rush then bought a used 3000 which I still have.  

I think I am just going to get it fixed.  

• Like 2