Quick Air Test Of GPX 6000

Lunk

4 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

Then it just boils down to how deep do you wanna dig for really small gold?

4 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

I mean in all reality do we really need any more sensitive machines? I don’t really think that is the case. I think that their new technology behind it is all about eliminating the noise (EMI, Ground, etc.) that could reveal a few small pieces that were left behind

I think the reality is that smaller gold deeper is pretty much what's left on offer for most of us & quite possibly where the 6000 is going to shine & where ML are heading with it. Will the amount of small gold & the effort required to dig deeper for it going to excite most of us & be worth our while? I guess that depends on your motive for gold detecting in the first place. If it comes down to making money out of it & having it pay its way it could be a long road.

G4G 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

Here is the complete comparison including GPZ. Sorry for the blurred picture.Capture.JPG.6fda2beec8696ceed03d25d2b4ddfe97.JPG

I guess I'm too old to be still impressed by Minelab marketing hype such as the above.

If all the accumulated "20% depth increase" claims for successive Minelab model releases over the years were accurate, I'd be using an excavator instead of a pick by now  :)

Clearly, the above chart also fails to take into account aftermarket coil usage.

I'm with Rick. Wake me up when some real "boots on the ground" results from experienced, impartial testers are posted.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

With all the forums I’ve been on I posted a picture of me for the first time ever

And it is great to put a face to a name Chuck  😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Given that the 6000 is supposed to be better than the 2300, My bet is that within 3 months time, the SDC will be discounted by at least 20%. Its a possibility that the high price of the 6000 will 'separate' the 2 units sufficiently but surely the SDC sales will suffer. 

Another interesting factor is that now that a Minelab rep has stated that the pulse-train timing codes are NOT a derivative of prior timings, it distinctly shows that Geo-sense is a fluid, constantly adjusting timing (3x filters and all) like I surmised. Truly a new level of detecting code technology I suspect. I'm sure we'll see this same timing tech added to the next Bipolar PI (ZVT) that replaces the 7000 in a year or two. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Aureous said:

Given that the 6000 is supposed to be better than the 2300, My bet is that within 3 months time, the SDC will be discounted by at least 20%. Its a possibility that the high price of the 6000 will 'separate' the 2 units sufficiently but surely the SDC sales will suffer. 

Another interesting factor is that now that a Minelab rep has stated that the pulse-train timing codes are NOT a derivative of prior timings, it distinctly shows that Geo-sense is a fluid, constantly adjusting timing (3x filters and all) like I surmised. Truly a new level of detecting code technology I suspect. I'm sure we'll see this same timing tech added to the next Bipolar PI (ZVT) that replaces the 7000 in a year or two. 

You heard it here first : The SDC is to be discontinued !

My reasoning There is no way Minelab will let it continue, at the expense of the " greatest show on earth " !

BTW, " the greatest show on earth " is impressing me less and less, now that I have seen the full performance chart kindly provided by JR Beatty ! The stock 7000 beats it on all but sub gram stuff, and I'm tipping that my ZED with 12 inch X coil will match it on 0.1 gram crumbs ! Not that I want to chase crumbs that small ! 🙄

Rick

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, araratgold said:

" the greatest show on earth " is impressing me less and less

Evening Rick. 

Not trying to sell you on a 6000 but when details of it first came out I actually thought you would jump on this as a prospecting detector for WA, much like you tried with the QED.  I have sold the QED for similar reasons to you and thought that this with its lighter weight, 17" coil, ability to run a DD in really bad ground, auto ground balance, wireless or speaker option, rainproof, more rugged than the QED, etc,  it would be the perfect replacement.  

And it can double as a mop-up tool after you've found a patch, flogged it with the Z and then want to clean up the remainder. 

The only difference/negative I see is obviously the price being about 4 times as much as a QED.  

Cheers, Adam.  👍

• Like 1

Adam,

I was seriously keen initially, but the price tag, for what it can and can't do compared to my ZED and 4500, just doesn't warrant $8K + outlay. We don't want to chase 0.1 gram flypoop! 

We have a 17x13 and 24x12 Evo that are perfect patch finders, that won't fit the new 6000 !

PS Don't let Reg see you telling me that you sold the QED for the same failings that I found, he will be all over you like a rash ! 😃

Rick

• Like 1

Rick, for a seasoned prospector your very negative.🥴 Don’t discount the 6000 till you’ve at least tried it. 🙏

Gold Monster AU$1k+, SDC AU$4k+, GPX 5000 AU$4K+, GPX 6000 AU$7k+, GPZ 7000 AU$9k+, there’s still a place in the line up for the SDC, simple switch on and go and easy to learn. 

• Like 2

Yes, and that is fair enough if you've already got detectors and coils to do the job  👍

I'm sure Reg won't be too hard on me. The QED was certainly sensitive and found gold for me but there were some hot rocks and some ground that caused problems in my area.  I have a brother in law in WA that is a prospector and I plan to do a trip at some stage and I was concerned re: if I was having some small troubles here then I might have big troubles there.  Hell of a long way to go for your detector to not be suitable  😳

And the QED audio, for whatever reason, it just didn't suit me  🤷‍♂️

But now, back to the GPX 6000 folks... 😉

• Like 3