Quick Air Test Of GPX 6000

Lunk

2 hours ago, Hobo said:

Do you think ML is going to sell a detector that is better and lighter than the GPZ for less money.

No I doubt they would, but hearing the stories getting around now (I know they’re just rumours), there’s a possibility. As I said, wait and see.

One thing you can be sure of Minelab are not resting on their laurels - in less than a year they have applied for 5 patents for an improved metal detector and 1 patent for a metal detector. They would have a very full and busy development pipeline.

Screenshot (86).png

• Like 4

I read one of those newer patents just now.

If I'm not mistaken one of those patents seems to clearly outline a new PI/VLF hybrid type detector with something very similar to GeoSense. As a VLF it was multifrequency from like 20khz to 100khz, but the patent also talks about a zone in which it acts as a PI.

It also talks about exactly what I was saying a few days back about the potential for this Geosense to allow a machine like the 6000 to be technically as sensitive or more sensitive as the 7000 on all nuggets, unless they limited the RX gain or threshold somehow.  Because when you lower the noise from ground/EMI, you can boost the gain. Or lower the threshold of detection, which in some ways is the same if the noise floor decreases and you can hear smaller signals. 

Are we sure the 6000 is even a pure PI given the performance on small gold on the big DD?

• Like 7

21 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

The SDC3100 😂

Going by the SD chronology, the successor will be the SDC2400. A year or two away I expect....the 2300 will surely get a discount by the end of the year to keep sales of that model going though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, jasong said:

I read one of those newer patents just now.

If I'm not mistaken one of those patents seems to clearly outline a new PI/VLF hybrid type detector with something very similar to GeoSense. As a VLF it was multifrequency from like 20khz to 100khz, but the patent also talks about a zone in which it acts as a PI.

It also talks about exactly what I was saying a few days back about the potential for this Geosense to allow a machine like the 6000 to be technically as sensitive or more sensitive as the 7000 on all nuggets, unless they limited the RX gain or threshold somehow.  Because when you lower the noise from ground/EMI, you can boost the gain. Or lower the threshold of detection, which in some ways is the same if the noise floor decreases and you can hear smaller signals. 

Are we sure the 6000 is even a pure PI given the performance on small gold on the big DD?

This is precisely how modded GPX's like my 4500 can find gold on thrashed ground. Wind up the TX gain, lower the RX gain and the noise vanishes, allowing smaller or deeper signals though. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Do you ever feel in the past that Minelab has let us down on any detector they have come out be it for coin are gold detecting?

Honestly not trying to stir the pot and this is just my opinion based on the environment which I chose to detect. But the only two detectors that I really thought were worth the money since I started looking at PI's in 2007 were the 4500 and 7000. To me. YMMV.

The 5000 let me down because the improvements in noise were so marginal in the already noisy places I worked (in my opinion) that I didn't see it worth the money, nor did I find Fine Gold to be useful anywhere I worked. It was a ton of money for very little feature that I could use. That release is singlehandedly responsible for making me hyper-aware of what ML is selling in new releases and wether it will or won't fit my needs.

The SDC was irrelevant to me because it didn't fit the model of prospecting I use nor the type of gold I chase, and lacked coils to improve on any of those failings. Especially since I was only just starting to explore NNV at the time it was released and the 4500 was a better machine to prospect with in wide opens. 

The GM1000 was ho-hum to me. I bought one used recently to replace my GB2 but only because my GB2 was very old and might be ready to fail and I wanted to actually test a GM in hand. I find the GM to be a good detector now that I've used it, and I'm glad I replaced my aging GB2, but not worth the money if I wasn't out to replace my GB2 already IMO. I do find the GM is a bit of an upgrade when it comes to speed of operation though.

So 3 out 5 releases since I started looking seriously at Minelab have either let me down or been something that wasn't particularly suited to my detecting, or not significantly better than what I already had. If anyone can't see why a person might be deeply researching a machine to determine wether it suits their actual, real detecting purposes or not then I'm gonna go ahead and guess you got a lot more money to burn than I do. :laugh:

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, jasong said:

Honestly not trying to stir the pot and this is just my opinion based on the environment which I chose to detect. But the only two detectors that I really thought were worth the money since I started looking at PI's in 2007 were the 4500 and 7000. To me. YMMV.

The 5000 let me down because the improvements in noise were so marginal in the already noisy places I worked (in my opinion) that I didn't see it worth the money, nor did I find Fine Gold to be useful anywhere I worked. It was a ton of money for very little feature that I could use. That release is singlehandedly responsible for making me hyper-aware of what ML is selling in new releases and wether it will or won't fit my needs.

The SDC was irrelevant to me because it didn't fit the model of prospecting I use nor the type of gold I chase, and lacked coils to improve on any of those failings. Especially since I was only just starting to explore NNV at the time it was released and the 4500 was a better machine to prospect with in wide opens. 

The GM1000 was ho-hum to me. I bought one used recently to replace my GB2 but only because my GB2 was very old and might be ready to fail and I wanted to actually test a GM in hand. I find the GM to be a good detector now that I've used it, and I'm glad I replaced my aging GB2, but not worth the money if I wasn't out to replace my GB2 already IMO. I do find the GM is a bit of an upgrade when it comes to speed of operation though.

So 3 out 5 releases since I started looking seriously at Minelab have either let me down or been something that wasn't particularly suited to my detecting, or not significantly better than what I already had. If anyone can't see why a person might be deeply researching a machine to determine wether it suits their actual, real detecting purposes or not then I'm gonna go ahead and guess you got a lot more money to burn than I do. :laugh:

👍🏻👍🏻  Again thank you.

One more thing: Debbie said that Doc's Detecting is already busy designing the protective covers for the GPX 6000. TIA Doc, you rock!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lunk said:

One more thing: Debbie said that Doc's Detecting is already busy designing the protective covers for the GPX 6000. TIA Doc, you rock!

Doc, put me on the pre-order list! 😁