Nox Beach Settings

damatman88

I hunt my saltwater beaches in the Beach 2 mode with the factory settings for wet and water hunting as well as the dry sand. We really don't have much iron around the beach and it's also not trashy. I am going to experiment with lowering the recovery speed and iron bias just to see what difference in depth/detection it makes. Do any of you adjust RS and IB down in Beach modes and if you do, what differences have you noted?

Yes, I turn down both RS 4-5 and IB 4-5. We have both iron and alum trash and one beach mineralized with black sand.

I also am trying descrim from -9 to 2 to quiet the EQ down. Then if I hear a flat sounding high or low tone and dig, it is trash. A coin size piece of alum really throws a good tone as do ring tabs. 

Once I get a good sounding target I check it with all metal to see if an iron sound is included. Too low RS and the tone lags the target location and makes pinpointing difficult. Pinpointing can show me the size of the target and lifting coil helps determine size depth too.

Biggest problem is lack of targets, we have an unusually high number of snow birds this season. Also no high surf or days of north winds since Dec. My beaches run NW to SE.

But in my test garden on silver, these settings work well. So this is a work in progress. I use the 11” coil and think the key to the EQ is coil and stability.

HH

• Like 3

Beach 2 is generally just for saltwater. Beach 1 should perform better for out of the water.

On the wet sand, I run RS 4 always. Less than 4 doesn't add any depth and will be so slow that you might miss targets. Higher than 4 in not necessary and will only decrease depth.

IB 0 always. I haven't found any need to raise it.

0 Discrimination always.

• Like 2

The only thing I would add is definitely don't limit yourself to Beach 2 on dry sand or even damp/wet sand.  Beach 2 limits transmit power out of the coil which sacrifices depth for stability in high salt, variable salt you find in the surf.  On damp/wet sand use Beach 1 to eek out a little more depth.  On dry sand use whichever mode is stable, Park 1 or Field 1 (set the tones, recovery, IB as desired as desired)  for deep silver or clad, Park 2 or Field 2 for jewelry, gold, nickels unless there is a lot of aluminum.  Beach 1 and Park 1 (slightly deeper) are great all purpose modes on the dry sand.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, damatman88 said:

I am going to experiment with lowering the recovery speed and iron bias just to see what difference in depth/detection it makes.

For over a year I ran a user program with lower IB and recovery than 6. I checked all iffy targets before I dug. Not in one instance did the user program change my mind. It also did not produce one extra single target of gold.

Depends where you are on the beach too? If in water contact the lower IB and recovery will allow the machine to be chirpy more.   

With a lower IB you will get more Iron wraparound. It will slow you down.  

The real key is the target in horseshoe mode and how it sounds. Iron is very telling.  

• Like 3

Having used both beach modes for hundreds of hours each, I have settled on using Beach 2 for my wet local beaches. I have found that I can get it to give a clearer indication of targets at significant depth, which I know goes against the grain, with everyone saying that Beach 1 is deeper.  

I use a 600 with 15in coil, horseshoe on, ground balance 4, I have the iron volume up to the same as the non-ferrous'. Reactivity 5, 5 tones, recovery speed 2 (800 equivalent 4), iron bias F2 0. I can run sensitivity at 23.

I have found that these settings will pick up targets that are very deep (some too deep to dig up) while still picking up tiny items like the pineapple in the second photo.

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_20190820_200601_586.jpg

• Like 2

"In addition to normal high-explosive ammunition, there was the possibility of firing concrete-breaking grenades. The fragmentation effect of the HE grenade was 10 meters forward and 40 meters to the sides. Direct hits could penetrate six meters of earth cover, one meter of masonry or one meter of concrete ceiling."

• Like 1