The Special Case For Jefferson Nickels

Great post GB, My MK hits two things really solid, Dimes and nickles. I tend to dig the quarters, dimes first. Call me greedy, but some of my sites I might only hit once or twice a year. (hoping for reseeding). Honestly though I rarely trip up on a nickle. Oddly I might find 1 nickle to every 75  dimes and quarters. Seems like in my hunting grounds they are rare. Not sure why this phenomenon takes place, But maybe you could post the quantities of Pennies, Nickles, Dimes, Quarters that were produced in a given time frame than the others. Just might be that they had a lower mint production than the rest? Or someone before me loves nickles so much they dug them all Ha Ha. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

I wish they made all nickels until 1964 like the  way they made the war nickel.They would have come out  in better shape from the  ground  and they would have silver.I have found a lot of war nickels and they only made them  4 years.

Well billions of nickels were in circulation at the time and were very heavily circulated.  The nickel and copper (75% copper, 25% nickel) were needed for the war effort.  Congress authorized up to 50% copper and 50% silver for war nickels, but gave the director of the mint latitude in choosing the composition as necessary to maintain the integrity of the coin.  The mint had to come up with a composition that that would satisfy the vending machine industry whose machines measured weight and in some cases conductivity of the nickels going in them - hence the 56% copper, 35% silver, and 9% manganese which enable vending machines to work just as they had with the traditional nickel composition.   It was a period in time where silver was less valuable as an industrial metal than copper and nickel, but it still held intrinsic value as a semi-precious metal that made it not cost effective to continue the silver composition further after the war concluded.  The mint doesn't really care how lost coins corrode in the ground. so a composition that resists corrosion from ground chemicals and salt is not really a consideration...hence zincolns.  Zinc is a highly reactive metal and is  often used in sacrificial anodes to stem electrolytic/galvanic corrosion in components exposed to salt or other corrosive agents.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

The mint had to come up with a composition that that would satisfy the vending machine industry whose machines measured weight and in some cases conductivity of the nickels going in them....  (emphasis mine)

And they did a very good job of that since most Warnicks fall in the same digital TID range as the 25% nickel kind.  Contrast that with the 1943 zinc coated steel pennies vs. the 95% copper pennies they replaced where the conductivity requirement didn't exist.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dogodog said:

Oddly I might find 1 nickle to every 75  dimes and quarters. Seems like in my hunting grounds they are rare. Not sure why this phenomenon takes place, But maybe you could post the quantities of Pennies, Nickles, Dimes, Quarters that were produced in a given time frame than the others.

I've looked at the dime vs. quarter mintage numbers but don't recall comparing to nickels.  I'll do that, but I'm sure it's nothing close to 75::1.  Which frequency of the N/M Multi-Kruzer do you typically use in these situations?  (I'll also pull my counts for the various modern coins to compare.  I was going to report on something similar for my end-of-year summary but decided not enough people care and my reports tend to be overly long to begin with.  If people want to read a book they'll go to the library and get one, not come here to read my posts!  😁)

• Like 2

Do you notice how many 1964 nickels you find. I find a lot of that year.

• Like 1

I find a lot of nickels in spots hit by other guys probably like you said they are avoiding the aluminum. Nickels almost always have very consistent numbers here in land or at the beach and easy to pick out. Downside is most the nickels degrade fast much like coppers do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Zinc is a highly reactive metal and is  often used in sacrificial anodes to stem electrolytic/galvanic corrosion in components exposed to salt or other corrosive agents.

Good point Chase,

Like boats and outboards motors, maybe we should have some sacrificial zinc(cons) mounted on our salt beach and water detectors to protect them! At least then, they would have a use!🤣

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I was going to report on something similar for my end-of-year summary but decided not enough people care and my reports tend to be overly long to begin with.  If people want to read a book they'll go to the library and get one, not come here to read my posts!  😁

I disagree GB,

I like your long posts! (and your's too Chase!!) Great information you guy's supply! And what's a Library? I haven't been in one of those since High School! And don't even get me started on the Dewey Decimal System!😂👍👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1