Security Issue - Posting Photos From GPS Enabled Devices

I guess I have 4.0

Maybe there is no data as there is not an "EXIF info" choice

There is a "IPTC info" but when I click it, I get the message "Cannot load the plugin METADATA.DLL"

I'll find the newer version.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I was in a computer/engineering class about 15 to 20 years ago. This was discusses in the class. However, printers were also discussed and when you print a picture, some of the information is encoded into the picture. Sorry I don't remember the entire amount of data. So for example you decide to print money. your computer and printer information will be on the image printed. Information like printer type, computer name, IP address etc. This way counterfeit money can be traced. This class did not go into detail due to security.

• 1 year later...
On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 4:48 AM, klunker said:

My smartphone takes two 6V dry cell batteries and has a rotary dial and it's a real pain to stretch out the antenna and wind it back up every time I use it. You folks are going to force me to step into the digital age.  sorta wish I had a ten year old grand kid.

Love your work, Klunker  :smile:

Having begun my electronic hobby career fiddling with the things, I sometimes wonder how much a thermionic valve powered smartphone would weigh (including "A" and "B" dry cell batteries)

Okay, I'll get back to farming sheep now - - - sorry.

Thanks Steve and Hawkeye,

I had no idea about pics from a phone having a geotag, naive I know.

Thanks again Steve for an outstanding forum where info like this is shared.

Mop

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By ColonelDan
      I thought I’d try using a pedometer just to see how far I stroll along the beach on my hunts.
      The reviews I’ve read on many are not very complimentary.  It seems the common complaint centers on accuracy and battery life.
      I’d appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.
      Thanks

• By Denver Bryan
      I thought it would be cool to overlay a geological map onto a topographical map.  And maybe a property map onto an aerial image map.  Then I would like to put these custom maps onto a smartphone GPS app.  That way when I’m in the field, I can see that I’m in a favorable rock type area or approaching a private property boundary.
      I see that MapWindow is a free GIS software that will let me make map layers.  And for smartphones, it seems that Gaia GPS is a popular app.
      Does anyone have experience making custom maps on their desktop then downloading them onto a smartphone GPS app?  If so, what desktop software and smartphone app do you like?
      Google Earth has layering capability... has anyone use GE to create downloadable map files for a smartphone?
      PS, if you have done this for a handheld GPS instead of a smartphone I'd enjoy hearing about that as well.
      Thanks

• By Steve Herschbach
      I just upgraded the forum to the next major release, 4.5.2. This time they did some changes to the overall look and feel. Most of the changes are improvements but the new high contrast colors and bold fonts are almost too bright, too sharp. The header went stark white so I dialed that back to blue. Anyway, I'll be tweaking the look and feel for a few days. A couple of the old add on modules are now out of date so need to deal with that also.
      For any nerds out there, here is the forum feature change list. One new thing is there will be a new mobile app. If you visit lots of Invision powered websites (like Chris', Bill's, and Rob's) it may be of interest.

The old color scheme. Less bright colors, blue text instead of black and white, more of a gray background.....

• By nickeldNdimed
      I enjoyed reading the topics under this forum as I have a couple entry level units un addition to my Equinox. But I have not been on this site for a couple of months and can’t seem to find it. It seemed pretty active. 
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Hi,
      Here is a short list according to Alexa. The large number reflects the total internet ranking, Google being #1. Other sites you might be familiar with did not make the top ten but you can go to Alexa to see where they rate. This website has been on a tear rapidly increasing in popularity for some time, and I thank you, the good forum members, for making that happen! 
      Updated 8/1/2020
      1. treasurenet.com 295,163
      2. detectorprospector.com 552,748
      3. metaldetectingforum.com (Friendly) 742,426
      4. geotech1.com 1,127,452
      5. prospectingaustralia.com.au 1,132,307
      6. md-hunter.com 1,357,499
      7. metaldetectingforum.co.uk 1,429,423
      8.  findmall.com 1,514,028
      9. mdhtalk.org 4,146,397
      10. dankowskidetectors.com 8,832,928

• By walkerrj
      Thinking of downloading the Gaia GPS App to my iPhone.  Wondering if anyone has experience with this App?  Thanks for any input.