Blast From The Past. Seeing Minelab Military Unit Before It Becomes A Gold Detector.

6 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Do you feel, we'll see a detector that can actually see the item or at least the shape of it with any accuracy and if so how long out?

Don’t they have a mine detector with ground penetrating radar?

• Like 1

I'm imagining this device to produce for the user something like a highly interactive VR type of GPR video in time with metal detection but almost in a way that those super fancy stabilizing binoculars work to smooth out the shake that I can imagine would be inevitable in a hand held device. By interactive, I mean that you can very comfortably, reasonably, and with much ease, be able to visually search the depths of the ground beneath the [search coil?] in the display when a target response is located. Maybe the display is passive as well! A VR headset that you put on for target recovery???

It'd go like this...

wOoo Hooo... "Oh a target! I will now visually search and identify the size, shape, and depth of it."

**Manipulates controls of state-of-the-art, cutting edge, advanced, Jetsons Treasure Seeker**

"Ah, I see it must be a nail due to the straightness and dimensions!"

--OR--

"Ah, it appears to be the shape of a stone! Perhaps a specimen? I will dig this up."

• Like 1

I know something is out there, it's just not for recreational use yet.

I fly quite a bit with metal detectors and they always pull my bags aside since they can see the coil windings and or a bunch of dirty coins.

Heck a few years ago one of my Field Staff and I were coming back from Cancun.  I made certain to have my detectors and cheap jewelry in the checked luggage as I did not want them to pull my Carry On.  It held over 3.5 oz of gold and platinum rings.  Anyway, as my Carry On Backpack is being scanned, they pulled it aside.  Some young lady pulls out my container and opens it.  She dumps the rings out and looks at my buddy and I, asking why I have some many rings?  Being as quick-witted Marine I am, I reach back, put my arms around my buddy, gave her a wink and said, "we're gay...is there a problem with that"?

She stuffed them back into the container and off we went.  About 10 feet later I get a serious jab in the back of my ribs and a few choice words from my buddy.

Anyway, the moral of the story is they can see shapes, sizes and density.

I imagine it will be here for regular detecting use in the near future, but at what cost?

Pics are from 1 trip, 2 guys hunting 12 hr days.  We found over 70 rings with half of them gold and or platinum and just those were over 7 ounces.  The nicest one was a ladies diamond ring.20160428_171934.png.thumb.jpg.61bbf7208a6e6df927739bfda75be0b5.jpg

I have never done that good before in Cancun and can only attribute it to a recent storm that cut the beaches away, us hunting 12 hr days and practically destroying our bodies.  It took me 5 days to recuperate after the MD'ing vacation.

His 5 rings with diamonds.0428160753.jpg.30be12541dbc73ed9f5cc506ab94834c.jpg

My best one of the trip.R4.jpg.9fbfe6b63bfc232a34d1fdb1e89552f7.jpg

Ring0.jpg.0593cf3b7dab372aef8020a4bdf36b7e.jpg

CTX 3030's killed it for us.

My 19 gold or platinum rings on the left and his 16 on the right.0428160748b-1.jpg.05479867744a1f3d864ddb54bfc2c76c.jpg

This is the 1st time I've shared these pictures.

Now you know why the airport Security Screener pulled my bags.  We were so lucky that time and I have never kept my stash of gold all together since.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, strick said:

Jeez Gerry...thats all i have to say...🙂

strick 

But my friend...you have at least 1 gold and diamond grill, maybe 2?  I have yet to to wear one.

On 2/15/2021 at 4:03 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

But my friend...you have at least 1 gold and diamond grill, maybe 2?  I have yet to to wear one.

3 now but you have to hunt where they are...you live in Boise Idaho  I live in the SF Bay area...it would be like trying to hunt for polar bears in Mexico 😃

strick

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2021 at 2:13 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Here's the 1st video Minelab USA did for TV.  You might know the English sounding dude from FL.

What's interesting is we were able to see Minelab Mine Detector as it turned into a gold detector.

The comments towards the end about seeing what's in the ground before you dig it, I'm still waiting.

Do you feel, we'll see a detector that can actually see the item or at least the shape of it with any accuracy and if so how long out?

Gerry, I can’t find the paper I read about it now, but there’s a Texas university group that posted a report about using standard metal detectors to create an image showing the shape of buried objects on a phone or tablet.  Their system uses a standard usb camera attached above the coil to sense and map the position of the coil as it is moved over the ground , at the same time it reads the signal from the detector to create a low resolution image of the shape and size of the object.  Their primary purpose for developing the system is for low cost mine detecting as it is a lot cheaper than GPR, but maybe it will be available to relict hunters one day as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1