Blast From The Past. Seeing Minelab Military Unit Before It Becomes A Gold Detector.

On 2/16/2021 at 5:43 AM, afreakofnature said:

It’s already out there in for about $7000.  However it’s just not built into a metal detector yet

https://www.minelab.com/anzea/countermine/detectors/mds-10

There is this one from ML...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Gerry, I can’t find the paper I read about it now, but there’s a Texas university group that posted a report about using standard metal detectors to create an image showing the shape of buried objects on a phone or tablet.  Their system uses a standard usb camera attached above the coil to sense and map the position of the coil as it is moved over the ground , at the same time it reads the signal from the detector to create a low resolution image of the shape and size of the object.  Their primary purpose for developing the system is for low cost mine detecting as it is a lot cheaper than GPR, but maybe it will be available to relict hunters one day as well.

Dang that sounds like an awesome read, please post the link here if you run across it again. I want to know if it's something a garage tinkerer could emulate, like are they doing some high frequency EM version of the static magnetic viewing film stuff?

On 2/15/2021 at 2:38 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Pics are from 1 trip, 2 guys hunting 12 hr days.  We found over 70 rings with half of them gold and or platinum and just those were over 7 ounces.  The nicest one was a ladies diamond ring.

That's amazing. Do you melt most of them down, or how do sell them in bulk?

I know nothing at all of beach hunting but now I want to try if I ever get within driving distance of an ocean. Is the EQ800 a good beach hunting machine or do you need a CTX?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jasong said:

Dang that sounds like an awesome read, please post the link here if you run across it again. I want to know if it's something a garage tinkerer could emulate, like are they doing some high frequency EM version of the static magnetic viewing film stuff?

I know nothing at all of beach hunting but now I want to try if I ever get within driving distance of an ocean. Is the EQ800 a good beach hunting machine or do you need a CTX?

Found it - OK, wasn’t Texas but I think it was a similar article to this one- same tech though:

https://www.ndt.net/article/ecndt2006/doc/Tu.4.5.4.pdf

It was in the early stages, but here was an example of their imaging:

B33051CC-2C0A-442C-B1E4-BBEFA2964FAF.thumb.jpeg.7a9bac2a5c6afb047fec0224eb4d945c.jpeg2EDC8C7B-5218-4857-901F-C28409C309C5.jpeg.c844ec8ea06ccc9f873a4cd8bcb22110.jpeg
keep in mind that it is like slow scan TV or dot matrix printing... one line at a time as you swing back and forth over the target.  But the cool thing is it is a feasible technology with a basic machine, doable for consumer level use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sheppo said:

Interesting read and Sheppo.   I like this page of images.  It is just a matter of time and I feel we'll be able to use detection like these.

image.png.20fc3e1124a924e8675477e4313ebc0d.png

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jasong said:

My wife has some of the nicer ones.  Most the others are sitting in the safety deposit box at my bank.

I have yet to sell any but eventually probably will, it is just a matter of dong it.  I'd rather spend timing detecting or selling detectors than actually selling my finds.

The EQ-800 is a fine detector for salt water and I have done will.  It's now my Back Up go 2 water machine.  What do I like using most, the Equinox 600.  It gets same depth as my 800, parts are interchangeable if I have an issue and for some reason if it does leak (never had a problem yet) or gets lost/stolen/damaged on the flight, I am not out as much money.  I have always felt the EQ-600 is a better bang for the buck detector for most of the people who purchase an EQ and are not in gold nugget country.

EQ6As.JPG

EQ6Bme.jpg

EQ6Bs.JPG

• Like 3