2021 Detecting Quest

I love that chart KAC!, I am getting a lot of data, and probably a bad idea trying to keep it in my memory banks... they aren't what they used to be. Haha.  

Pen and paper next time out!

Yes, the Vaquero is going to get a work out on this site.  If nothing else, it is great on eliminating iron falling, good thought on the pin point trick for co-located targets.  

This area has definitely been picked... I looking for the squeaker someone left behind.  

Thanks Kac!,

24 minutes ago, kac said:

I did do a mask ID test and posted my results here:

Tim

• Thanks 1

I realize I promised not to bore you all with "non-quest" finds... but I wanted to share this one (a few actually).  As I mentioned, I'm taking advantage of this site to dust off many of my detectors after having spent almost all my time with the Equinox since I received it a few years back. 

So yesterday morning I set out with my Explorer SE Pro/stock Pro Coil for a few hours.  Interestingly, I did find a clad quarter that was significantly co-located with trash, near a tree, but the Explorer gave me blip of a high squeak, and only in one direction... but narrowing my swing to about a 2" wiggle, I was able to see the quarter signal repeated.  Pinpointing it was impossible, as larger lower conductors were dragging my point off to the side of the tone... and in more than one direction... targets that were stronger within a 6" circle of where I wiggled the high tone to be.  I wondered about coil edge falsing, or the lower conductor throwing off a high tone with rust and such... but the tone was really sweet when I could find it.  Even my pro-pointer set to 1 was getting dragged off center as I pulled the plug.  Anyway, cleared several pieces of trash between 3" and 6" around my "center", and was still getting a pointer signal at the bottom of my initial plug.  Out of curiosity, I stood up and re-swept... and there was no doubt this time... it was a quarter signal.  As much as I was hoping it would be silver... especially all masked as it was... I was only slightly let down to find it clad at about 7".

Moving away from the tree in a line toward the open area of the field, I received another high tone blip, this one more faint, and was able to easier make it repeatable and also pinpoint.  I dug my plug, and had to stand up and re-sweep several times (3 I think) to ensure I was still getting a signal.  It was reading in the 07-27/07-28 range on the TID for those of you that know the Explorer TID's.  It was still there, but I wasn't getting anything with the pointer (at this point set back to 3).  Finally, I got pointer signal, and spent some more time clearing dirt.  The pic below is hard to tell, but my hand is well above the end of my pointer, and probably about an inch above the Lesche... trying to indicate ground level.  I estimate this was 11" to 12" deep.  Wheat (I believe 1910, but need to soak it in olive oil to see if I can get some of the crust off the date area).  About 3 more steps, and I had another almost identical situation, with a 1920 wheat... this one at 10"-11".

20210221_114603.thumb.jpg.d0c2932757c355b9d5dbe56f928f3927.jpg

So based on my small sample size (too small to make it an expectation... but a start) based on these three targets... clad is at 7", pre-clad is 10+".  BTW, I was running manual sens 22 on the Explorer.  

I hope to head back over there today after work with the Equinox.

Thanks for reading and all your suggestions everyone.  

~Tim.

• Like 3

Update on my Quest.  I spend a few hours this morning at the old school grounds, and after finding a few more Wheats (50's), I was fortunate enough to make a Quest find.

I pulled two bent nails on my way down, but finally made it about 10" down to the target...

20210227_114920.thumb.jpg.dec13e36e9ff97258cf70bce314aaf83.jpg

Pretty crusty, not able to make out a date... but a buffalo.

884905282_2021Quest.thumb.png.851ec7d2099056c94b4d2d5122f354a5.png

~Tim

• Like 4

Just saying... these copper 'asbestos roof tile pegs' are the devil.  They sound SOOOO GOOOOD at 8"!!!

20210302_094404.thumb.jpg.c7ee001682642200879aae2559a4f94d.jpg

I have about 15 in my collection now.  😄

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Just saying... these copper 'asbestos roof tile pegs' are the devil.  They sound SOOOO GOOOOD at 8"!!!

Those look familiar -- meaning I've found some too, but I don't remember which site (likely one of two).  Also, I didn't know what they were other than figuring they had something to do with construction, based upon where I found them.  So good on you for figuring out their usage.  I vaguely recall the shank having a 90 degree bend.  Does that ring a bell?  The shank on yours appears to have been straightened.

There are several construction item targets that sound good for the most part.  Roofing nails are another one.  So are the thick washer-like lead seals that are used under the heads of certain types of roofing nails.  I think those are for sheet metal roofs.

Maybe a well-trained ear can figure a lot of these out, the ones that contain iron, anyway.  And maybe this is another case where properly tuned Iron Bias can help.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Those look familiar -- meaning I've found some too, but I don't remember which site (likely one of two).  Also, I didn't know what they were other than figuring they had something to do with construction, based upon where I found them.  So good on you for figuring out their usage.  I vaguely recall the shank having a 90 degree bend.  Does that ring a bell?  The shank on yours appears to have been straightened.

From what I recall, the tacks actually fit on the roof flat side down, and the peg stands upright, to lock in the overlapping roof tile.  I think the bend is to "crimp" them down after the peg goes through the hole on the tile.  I have found some ripped tiles around that area too... and as I mentioned on that lid thing... due to the age of the building that was there.... the tiles are most likely asbestos.  The ones that I have found (each one more disappointing than the last... haha.) have varying degrees of bends... some at 90 as you suggested.  Probably depends on how much attention to detail the roofer had when installing them.  

• Like 1

Well. Not exactly what I had in mind... maybe this is worth a 1/2 check mark for the tally board...

20210306_103256.thumb.jpg.eb4f25650620249b1508d362f65d50ae.jpg

I was getting some solid tones but bouncing around between 10 and 15 and at 4-6"...dug a plug.  I cleared some can slaw and a pull tab in the same plug/hole.  Re-swept the hole and got a repeatable 12-13 - 5" War Nick.  

• Like 2

862446908_2021Quest.thumb.png.7806b09527e175c4e48a2049b960ed76.png

1052470429_20210307_1341051458.thumb.jpg.1509025690a1c2daed69f5d20581886f.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Half way there already !

Honestly, I thought the silver coin from this location would be my last to check off the list... this place has definitely been cherry picked over and over through the years before I happened onto it.  But I have a nice collection of pull tabs and ring pulls already... so the nickels and IHP are in there... just have to get down to them. 

• Like 1