2021 Detecting Quest

No place is ever "cleaned out" , you're proving that now

so never stop checking. (That would make a good tag (signature) line ...)    hmmmmm🤔 If you keep it up , you might check off the rest of the list there !!!?

22 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

No place is ever "cleaned out" , you're proving that now

so never stop checking. (That would make a good tag (signature) line ...)    hmmmmm🤔 If you keep it up , you might check off the rest of the list there !!!?

Exactly right Popeye!  Never Hunted Out.  "Never Stop Checking"  I like that tag line 🙂   

My "quest" is specific to that site.  I chose those 4 items, partially because I know how hard it has been hunted for silver in the past... and probably cherry picked based on my hunting/finds.  Also, since cherry picked... I am assuming those less than silver conductors might be left behind in that carpet of trash... so a couple of mid conductive oldies, and the silver.  Add to all of that... this site is a walk from my house... so I get up in the morning on the weekend before the rest of the family is awake (just my schedule) and I walk over and spend a couple of hours hunting, walk home, make breakfast for the family. 🙂   

My overall goals for the year are a bit more aggressive than one silver coin 😉  (old silver, gold, large silver, several area beaches, maybe a prospecting trip - depending on the pandemic limitations... are all on my 2021 goals list) - but more than anything, the goals are just motivation to get out and hunt more than I have the past couple years... that is the real goal :)).  

Happy hunting to you this year too and may you fulfill all your goals for the year!!

~Tim

Had about an hour before dark last night so I headed over to the old school grounds... interesting find that I thought I would share.  It was deep, and under a root that was about 3" in diameter.  It took me most of my "dusk time" digging around that thing... I was swinging my Explorer II with the 13" ultimate coil and was getting a bouncy signal, but enough of a high tone to make me investigate, I was past the handle on my Lesche... and was surprised to pop out something big and round from directly under the root.  Had a fleeting thought that it was a dollar coin... but it was too chunky... wiped my thumb across and it immediately shined up gold.  Checked it on my Equinox when I got home... and it air tests at solid 32... so my thought is gold plated silver? but there is also corrosion on the inside... so I'm not sure.  It isn't magnetic, so definitely not steel core.  Anyway, I'm very happy with the find, so I thought I would share here..

20210308_191125.thumb.jpg.d878b56900c929cf7452ca7faf2e5f6b.jpg  20210308_191131.thumb.jpg.7db35d9e3d19a1c88234678a675f3f85.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Where did the insides go ?

Keep looking.

I know!!  My thought too.  I checked and re-checked the hole, and area... then made a mental note to mark the area with landmarks to go back and spend time looking for the rest... I didn't find any glass either... but it was pretty dark by the time I finished working my way around that root.  The next dig in that spot will be much easier though ;).  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I continue to put in the hours at the old school grounds that is the location for this quest.  

In past hunts I have found a 2nd Buffalo Nick, a 2nd Silver War Nick, several wheat cents and a delaminated coin (nickel size that I couldn't ID.  

Tonight, I officially checked the 3rd item off the quest list.

Equinox 800, 11" Stock Coil, Park 1, Horseshoe (no disc), 50 tone, Recovery 4, F2=0, sens 22.  

After digging several pieces of large deep iron, and several surface pull tabs and aluminum scrap, I walked a few steps and got a soft signal.  Repeatable 12-13 showing 5 bars depth.  I knew this depth shouldn't be a pl tab, so I got a little bit hopeful.  I dug my plug continued down to about 8" before getting a peep on my Carrot.  Another 2 inches to get a solid tone on the pinpointer, and another 1 1/2 " to free the target.  

191x V Nickel.  The 4th number is a bit corroded... looks like a 2, but not completely sure.  

20210321_180323.thumb.jpg.e95d6430f38982adad1c2b6d1242ec47.jpg

20210321_183706.thumb.jpg.514de9fbb39896b9193578b481e26fed.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

191x V Nickel.  The 4th number is a bit corroded... looks like a 2, but not completely sure.

Are you sure it's not a '3'?  :biggrin:  If 1912, that's the only year they minted them in Denver and San Francisco (along with Philadelphia).  I don't know if you'll be able to find a mintmark given its current condtion.  (See PCGS for location of the mintmark.)  The -S mint one is a key date.  Hope that's what you found.

Your checklist is filling up with checkmarks.  If you don't have 'gold coin' on there, no time like the present to do that.  😉

• Like 1

Nice finds and extra points for the careful deep hunting.

The pocket watch case should be made of brass which was plated.

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Are you sure it's not a '3'?

It could be a '3' I will try to get a better view of it.  It is pretty beat up on the 'V' side, I don't think I will get a mint mark, but will try.  

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

If you don't have 'gold coin' on there

My hopes of gold at this site are pretty low... something tells me the this elementary school was in a lower economic area in the early 1900's... but you just never know.  That pocket watch wasn't expected either!.    

Based on my pre-2021 finds (wheats) and the age of the ground... I thought the IHP's would be the first to check off...  but they are the lone survivor on the checklist haha.  I seem to recall another thread about IHP's though 😉

Thanks for the comments GBA!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JCR said:

The pocket watch case should be made of brass which was plated

Thanks JCR, I was wondering what the 'base' metal on the pocket watch would be.  That explains why I was getting a high tone mixed in with the mid tones.... even at the depth it was.  

• Like 1