2021 Detecting Quest

Update to my Old School Quest.   

With the 1936 Buffalo I recovered last night at 10"+

My checklist is filling up...

1392593208_2021Quest.thumb.png.c67c07cb6ad78eeb8f3a2e9dd9d69f4c.png

Silver recoveries include:

• 1942 Washington Quarter (Explorer II 13" Ultimate- Thanks for the help Tom-CA)
  • 1943 War Nickel (Equinox 11" stock)
  • 1943 War Nickel (Equinox 12x15")

Buffalo Nickel recoveries include:

• No Date Buffalo (Explorer XS 13" Ultimate)
  • No Date Buffalo (Equinox 12x15")
  • 1936 Buffalo (ATX 10x12 - Thanks GBA)

"V" Nickel recoveries include:

• 1912 Liberty V Nickel (Equinox 11" Stock)

I have also recovered a dozen or so wheat cents... only the elusive IHP remains to complete the checklist.

• Like 3

No Pine tree shilling on that list? There has to be an IH there somewheres 🙂

• Like 1

You've got a long time to find that Indian head. I hope you find many. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I continue to spend my after-dinner strolls to the old school grounds with detector(s) in tow, and finding a 3rd War Nickel in the process - I am hoping to complete the quest at this site with the last item (IHP).  Honestly, I am digging any repeatable tone at this point, but tend to get my hopes up when I see something in the high teens/low 20's (which are becoming more and more rare). 

Interestingly, old Texas Diamond red bricks give a solid 17-18 on the Equinox.  Having committed to the dig by the time I identify the brick (usually 7"+ deep), I decided to clear the discovered bricks in hopes they are covering a more desirable target below.  But alas, so far not the case.  

On a positive note, I am about 1/2 way to a nice brick shed for my detectors at this site haha :D. 

20210426_141748.thumb.jpg.731955697d1340d6ec3692d7ffd5dc46.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tiftaaft said:

Having committed to the dig by the time I identify the brick (usually 7"+ deep), I decided to clear the discovered bricks in hopes they are covering a more desirable target below.

I take it you've pulled all of that stack from the ground.  Doesn't a hole/depression remain where a brick was removed?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I take it you've pulled all of that stack from the ground.  Doesn't a hole/depression remain where a brick was removed?

The area that the bricks are located is evidently an old dump area.  The ground is uneven to start with, and not covered with turf.  There sometimes is a depression where I removed the brick, but the ground is pretty easily leveled.  There are a bunch of broken bottles and other trash in this area as well.  I think they tore down the old school and just dumped the excess debris on the edge of the field into a shallow pit.  I would love to see what it the area looked like back in the "operation" years.  Now it is just a vacant field of wild grass and wild flowers that the city mows down every 3 to 4 weeks.  

• Like 1