Marking Targets.....?

oneguy

I got my markers today...reason it took so long was they came from the UK and same reason I thought the answering machine message sounded foreign....lol.   Product is everything I thought it would be and I'll most likely half or maybe quarter the discs?

Sorry for badmouthing the co.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, oneguy said:

same reason I thought the answering machine message sounded foreign....lol.

🤣 🤣   The bloody Poms.  How on earth are we supposed to understand them when they are speaking.........English  😜

• Haha 3

Here's a real good example from Bills' video of why I believe I save recovery time by marking targets and chasing them down with the Monster.  Check out the vid and especially the first half....

Harquahala Mountain Gold Nugget Hunt Feb. 2021 - YouTube

Thanks Bill S. for all your great vids......... (love those warm desert vids, snowing here again)

Oneguy - as far as saving time digging targets, one of the biggest problems is that many people simply do not make much effort to accurately pinpoint the target location. They swing over it a couple times to make sure there is a target in the ground and then immediately start digging. Then they chase the target all around trying to find it and it seems like its here and then it seems like its over there. The hole gets bigger and bigger, time drags on and the prospector gets frustrated. Taking an extra 30 seconds to pinpoint a target carefully can save 5 minutes or more of digging and chasing. Multiply 5 minutes per target (more or less) by 20 or more targets a day and it really adds up. Plus the less time you spend digging and chasing your targets, the more time you spend actually searching for gold. This means you will be able to detect and find more targets in a day resulting in more gold produced.

• Like 4

I agree with taking a bit more time and care to pin point correctly cuts down on unnecessary digging and time.
Also just as important is digging the correct hole size in relation to target depth and coil size.

Nothing worse than digging down a foot not being able to swing your coil in the hole and then having to widen the hole, effectively digging two holes.

Dig it wide enough to begin with so you can continue to pin point as you go down. 

It’s much quicker and less fatiguing to dig a larger hole to start with than to dig a smaller one then have to enlarge it especially at depth.

10 hours ago, Reno Chris said:

Oneguy - as far as saving time digging targets, one of the biggest problems is that many people simply do not make much effort to accurately pinpoint the target location. They swing over it a couple times to make sure there is a target in the ground and then immediately start digging. Then they chase the target all around trying to find it and it seems like its here and then it seems like its over there. The hole gets bigger and bigger, time drags on and the prospector gets frustrated. Taking an extra 30 seconds to pinpoint a target carefully can save 5 minutes or more of digging and chasing. Multiply 5 minutes per target (more or less) by 20 or more targets a day and it really adds up. Plus the less time you spend digging and chasing your targets, the more time you spend actually searching for gold. This means you will be able to detect and find more targets in a day resulting in more gold produced.

You are spot on about pin pointing. I have got to the stage of not watching a lot of video finds now because of the wide spread lack of pin pointing and time they spend getting the gold out of the ground because of it.. 

From Garretts.

How do I pinpoint a target?
Slowly and methodically sweep your searchcoil from side to side, keeping it one to two inches above the surface. Overlap each sweep by advancing the searchcoil by about one quarter to one half of its diameter. Scanning in a straight line helps to keep the searchcoil level and the overlap sweeps uniformly while reducing the likelihood of lifting the searchcoil after each sweep. Listen for a peak in the audio sound. Hold the searchcoil one to two inches off the ground and slowly sweep it back and forth in an X pattern. Note where the sound becomes the loudest. The target should be located in the center of the imaginary X. Many of today’s modern metal detectors are equipped with an electronic pinpoint button. Read your owner’s manual for complete electronic pinpointing instructions.

I would use the 90° method  to get a better position.

11 hours ago, geof_junk said:

...the imaginary X...

I would use the 90° method  to get a better position.

Well I would agree with you on the 90 degree X pattern, seeing as the X you speak of above is about a 120/60 degree X 🤣

• Haha 1