Marking Targets.....?

oneguy

I just borrowed the field geologist's method of tying pink flagging tape to whatever rock or bush is handy, available anywhere and hundreds of markers worth fits in a pocket. Bring a sharpie and I can write quick notes on the tape (also stolen from geologists and surveyors).

But usually I'm too impatient to not just dig everything immediately to see what it is unless I'm comparing different machines or coils. :smile:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jasong said:

But usually I'm too impatient to not just dig everything immediately to see what it is unless I'm comparing different machines or coils. :smile:

Totally relate with you on that!

Different detecting techniques=different detecting moods.

I've been pretty curious lately about marking targets before I dig them in a patch clean up experiment. Thinking it will also force me to take the time to track off gps squares on the map of the area I just examined.

• Like 2

I was doing some work in really hard to dig ground and deep gold. I was using the GPZ to see the deep targets and even with the standard coil you need to dig a big hole with the 7000. So I just dug a little starter hole to mark the spot. No paint left behind, no marker chips or flagging. Just the start of a hole dug to mark the spot. Afterwards, I'd go mack with the SDC and and dig it out - and with the smaller mono coil of the SDC, a much smaller hole needed to be dug. And I got some nuggets way too deep to see with the SDC by itself. I hate digging those GPZ craters , especially on deep targets - but I do like the deep gold!
Its the lazy man's way  -

• Like 4

Chris...  Done it that way myself but on a smaller scale so to speak?  Start with SDC and locate a target, quick 2" scrape to help with the follow up chase with the Goldmonster.....  BUT, I've also had some trouble locating the scrape(s) a few times also.  So now it's find target, scrape a few inches, toss disc on ground, once I locate 10 targets, go fetch the Monster and run em down picking up disc as I go along and putting them back in the pouch. Wash, rinse, repeat on the next 10.  I'm the laziest of the lazies!  I really think it cuts down on my recovery time overall by basically chasing/PPing with the Monster....????

• Like 1

Speaking of marking, not nuggets but tracks etc... one of the big annoyances with mining companies on their leases here in WA is prospectors using flagging tape. 
They can’t enforce it but they’d rather you didn’t as it can confuse the hell out of drillers and road crews who rely on it.

Best use something else if possible and always remember to remove it when finished and leaving an area.

• Like 3

I like the puck or poker chip idea!  Toilet paper also makes a good marker, you can use it on a bush as a long distance transect marker for gridding, or weigh it down with a small rock on the ground.  And if you accidentally leave a piece behind, its not as bad as flagging tape left behind and melts away in the next rain.  Just be sure its the one you put down when you pick it up! 😬

We also used to use these mini soccer cones for marking survey transects when I worked in the forest, maybe they will help:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HCG0BSK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NG5M987G0JFVENK5TX5R?psc=1

Sorry, but in my humble opinion, I disagree with using marking paint.  I think it’s is not much different than graffiti- I know it’s getting kicked around in the dirt afterwards and mostly disappears, but it is still being left behind and is visible on the rocks, etc. Plus it could also lead to a big fine if used on public lands. Please don’t use it there, we have better choices for no trace left behind.

Edit: Another benefit of using toilet paper to mark a target is you’re less likely to have someone come and dig it up!

While awaiting my plexiglass that I ordered off Amazon, I found an alternative for my idea since I was chomping at the bit to get out and mark some targets! I found an old plastic cutting board/sheet and cut it into little 1.5" x 6" strips. The one I had happened to be a bright green color and it worked fairly well. I started at the site of the last nugget I found on a previous trip and bound them up in the branches of nearby creosote bushes to line out an area to thoroughly detect. I only got two signals while I examined this area and neither of them ended up being within the area I marked off to search, but no more than 20 feet outside of it! Anyways, it was nice to be able to just toss down a flag on the signal and walk away, only to come back when I'm tired of staring at the ground and have some fresh, sweet, juicy signals to dig up. I chose to go freestyling around in an attempt to expand the patch to the south and no longer did I have the patience to mark my signals. I dug each one, but left a flag on top of the hole after recovering the nugget to see if they would reveal for me any more insight into this deposit. The clues are there, now it just requires a bit more work to see if they'll produce any more golden tones for me!

1223881115_FirstMarks.thumb.png.18cbfd5a3ee85ac9ddfc77a4b2062108.png

• Like 4

Just wanted to let you guys know that I deleted a link on my "Marking Targets" post.  I'm having trouble with the company where I ordered my colored discs.  Haven't received order yet, no tracking #, emailed twice now and response to 2nd email (sent today) was "we'll get back 7-10 days", called phone # and got a recording from a foreigner I couldn't understand telling me to email.  I just hope none of you have ordered from them.....beware and so sorry.  Getting that bad feeling....I'll update if/when I actually do receive my order?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2
  • Oh my! 2

I really hope that things work out for the best.

Good luck and thanks for the heads up.

• Thanks 1