Gold Rush Artifacts From California

The button looks like a Tombac.

One of the buckles definitely says "New York" on it, but the rest is hard to read backwards.

Nice relics and coin - heck the button would have made my day! 😀

• Like 1

I found some info on what looks similar to the buckle with Wetzler & Taussig New York... 

http://www.westernbitters.com/2017/12/the-new-york-roots-w-taussig-co_6.html?m=1

Very cool finds... not to mention that Seated Quarter!  

• Like 2

The Wetzler buckle is so thin,  I’m not sure how it would hold pants up.  The other buckle is thick so, I can see it working for that purpose.  

Welcome to the elite and exclusive seated coin club.   And my friends and I are green with envy on the buckles.   Those are the sought-after badge of merit in CA G.R. hunter circles.

What part of the central Valley are you in ?  I'm @ the Salinas/Monterey area.  So it takes me a few hours to reach the Sierra foothills G.R. sections.   Envious of you guys that are a tad closer !  

• Like 2

Tom,  I live in Merced. My drives aren’t bad. I can get to many places in under an hour.  My step son lives right out of Monterey and the drive over there is not my favorite.  Too much traffic and the bs that goes with it.  

• Like 1

Silver quarters are very good finds, regardless, and older ones even better.  Only two mints produced quarters in 1847 and yours is the scarcer of the two -- half as many minted in New Orleans as in Philly.  It's always nice to see a mintmark on a well-worn coin since sometimes the mintmark is so vulverably placed that it has worn off (e.g. Mercury Dime).

Excellent finds you've shown us.  Approximately what percentage of this settlement have you searched?  I hope you don't have a time limit on your access to this site and I look forward to your future revelations.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Gold Rush Artifacts From California