How Many Detectors Have You Owned?

Aureous

I'll make this easy on everyone and including myself.  

My first 20 yrs was detecting old coins, civil war relics, gold jewelry on the beaches, Roman/Celtic in England and general use detecting before I became a dealer.  I ran White's, Garrett, Bounty Hunters (BH were good in the days), Compass, Teknetics, and Fisher brands with many models of White's, Fisher and Garrett back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's.

In the mid 90's I started chasing gold nuggets and so this is where I'll start as it's easier to remember the last 25 yrs.

I have owned and found gold nuggets with at least 40 different models of detectors in the last 25 yrs.  I could probably dig up photos of most, but it would take some time.

Interesting, we have more followers than I had expected that actually have been enjoying detectors for many years.  Hats off to you for keeping the "gold fever", it's real.

• Like 3

15.. In no particular order:

• 3 - Garretts (Ace 250, AT Pro, ATX)
  • 6 - Minelabs (Etrac, CTX, Explorer SE, E600, E800, Vanquish 540)
  • 5 - Tesoros (Compadre, Silver Sabre, Bandito 2 mM, Silver Sabre mM, Vaquero Black)
  • 1 - Fisher (F-22)

A few sold, bold are still owned, .  ~Tim

• Like 3

Don't know.  Probably less than 150 .      Started about 1960, have owned 7 or 8 at a time, only have  four now.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

I have never owned a detector. I do remember walking past a GPX 4000 that was standing in the corner of my workshop when my foot became mysteriously tangled in the power cord. The only way to escape was to take it detecting. So I did. And just the other day when I moved my GPZ7000 my hand became locked onto the handle. I knew it wouldn't release me until I took it out detecting. So I did. I have had things like this happen with numerous models of Minelab detectors.

My detectors own me.

• Haha 4

56 minutes ago, klunker said:

I have never owned a detector. I do remember walking past a GPX 4000 that was standing in the corner of my workshop when my foot became mysteriously tangled in the power cord. The only way to escape was to take it detecting. So I did. And just the other day when I moved my GPZ7000 my hand became locked onto the handle. I knew it wouldn't release me until I took it out detecting. So I did. I have had things like this happen with numerous models of Minelab detectors.

My detectors own me.

Honestly, I feel the same, I just walked past the GPZ which had escaped its travel bag and it yelled at me for not picking it up, so I did and it started swinging around on its own.  Bloody thing thinks it runs the show 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Haha 3

I had a dredge, pan, sluice and a pick, no detector. I bought the best Garretts at the time for the wife. She hated it so I got her Whites 6000 Coinmaster so I was left with a second hand Garretts ADS Deepseeker 😉. The battle was on who had the best detector. She got the first nugget over an ounce 😭 So when she was looking after the boys in the mornings I tried hard to catch up. Did that with a multiple ounce one (4 oz). From then on my job was to find the patches, which was done with a double digit patch of 26+ oz I got most of it 19 oz in the morning the rest when I took her out after lunch. After about 15 years use I upgrade to the Whites Goldmaster which was just release in Aust for Australia. As I knew my detectors I saw no reason to upgrade till I retired in 2003. Then I bought 2 of the lastest ML GP-3000 as we were going to West Aust. gold fields. Got the lastest Nugget Finders coils and got to learn the ML detectors which paid for themselves in the six months before we went to WA. I guess 15 years are up so another decision has to be made about some new ones and light weight is a prime factor. 

• Like 2

I started detecting in the late 70s. I had a Whites 5000D and then a Whites 6DB that I found first gold with. Then went to Garrett. Big mistake  I did find gold but not as much as with the Whites.  I have had Fishers, and many more but nothing compared to when I got my GP Extreme. I found gold left right and centre. It was finickity and noisy but it worked. I sent it for stability repairs once and then traded on a 3000 and later on a 4000. Lovely machines in their time. 

Sadly my back has let me down and after a couple of ops I'm not sure I will be able to hunt again. Sold my machines but I have a couple of cheapies still. Another possible op coming up so I will see how that pans out. I have some good spots I want to go over with a 7000 as I know there is deeper gold there. I found some nice ones. Hope nobody finds my spots meantime LOL 

This lighter new 6000 has perked my interest. Maybe just what I need. 

• Like 7