Coil Size Question

I am looking for some guidance on what coil size to use when I go into an area for the first time.  I am using a White's Goldmaster 24k and have a complete set of coil sizes.  I would be working in either Nevada or Arizona.  When I enter an area for the first time I do not know if it has been worked previously or is virgin ground.  Does this information affect my coil size choice?  Should I plan to make just one pass over an area or two passes using a large coil first and then a smaller coil?  I don't want to miss a larger deep target and I would also like to find the smaller near surface targets.  I am assuming that if I see signs of dry washer activity that a smaller coil would be a good first pass choice, am I correct?  Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hey Steve what size coils do you have exactly? If you don't know if there is gold in the area evident of old workings then use the larger coil to cover more ground in area and depth. If you know there are workings where you are hunting then either elliptical or the small 5 or 6 inch coil. Experiment play with each coil to find out what each can do. It never hurts to go over an area you want to hunt with multiple coils.

• Like 1

If you're covering large, open areas, use the 14" DD or 10"DD first. Then switch to the 6" CC or 6"DD if you find a spot thats producing. If you're working creeks or gullies or old workings, use the small coils 1st. 

• Like 3

Steven, Aureous perfectly nailed it. Personally, since most of my nuggetshooting here in the Mojave revolves around hunting small rocky ravines, where large coils cannot be used, as well as "crumb hunting" drywash piles, the 6" CC is my favorite coil on my 24k. Hope this helps. HH Jim

• Like 3