Videos....

dewcon4414

9 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Chase

I was wondering when you in discrimination mode if I can notch out different ID numbers at will ? I didn’t see anything saying I could. Just about all the detectors I’ve used in the past gives the user that option if so desired.

I think at this time it would do me best to download the manual and spend time reading it.

Chuck 

Hi Chuck

Not sure what your detecting?  Beach?  Like I always say NOTHING is the same in salt water, black sand and moving salt water.

Even with my two days on the machine, don't expect a pure number lock. Especially with some depth. Rather a range of numbers and checking in different directions will help. 

Since the MDT will lock on shallow stuff just like the Nox, I think it is still better to listen and decide. Rather than notch and ignore. 

Now if your on land, notching will work better. 

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, midalake said:

Hi Chuck

Not sure what your detecting?  Beach?  Like I always say NOTHING is the same in salt water, black sand and moving salt water.

Even with my two days on the machine, don't expect a pure number lock. Especially with some depth. Rather a range of numbers and checking in different directions will help. 

Since the MDT will lock on shallow stuff just like the Nox, I think it is still better to listen and decide. Rather than notch and ignore. 

Now if your on land, notching will work better. 

Dave

15 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Chase

I was wondering when you in discrimination mode if I can notch out different ID numbers at will ? I didn’t see anything saying I could. Just about all the detectors I’ve used in the past gives the user that option if so desired.

I think at this time it would do me best to download the manual and spend time reading it.

Chuck 

Chuck,

Dave is correct.  The only thing I would use this machine on land though is for is relic hunting, and specifically in hot dirt.  I don’t think it is deeper than the Equinox  in hot dirt but I like the mixed mode audio better than the processed tones of the the Equinox even in horseshoe mode.  I usually only use the notch to notch out high TID iron wraparound and only then if absolutely necessary.  The mixed mode audio allows me to hear all metal “hums” and discriminated non-ferrous “dings”.  

That being said, the limited three-tone audio and with TID stability kind of on the lower end of things, the Nox is more suited than the MDT for coin shooting or other more mainstream, casual detecting situations (e.g., dry sand or park jewelry hunting) especially in high aluminum trash situations in mild dirt.  For me the MDT is truly just a niche detector best suited for salt beach detecting, perhaps nugget shooting, and hot dirt relic hunting.  It is a very expensive proposition for such a narrow range of use, but in my case as a hot dirt relic hunter or for the salt beach jewelry or relic hunter, can be worth it.  So it has won a spot on my relic detecting arsenal for the time being.  I will now consider whether the 12-inch coil is a worthwhile investment.

It is quirky to set up, especially the salt balance settings and unusual disc/notch setting implementation and definitely not for everyone.  You need to decide if you do either or both of the above types of hunting frequently enough to make it worth your while to plunk down $1.4K. Otherwise, the Nox covers the bases sufficiently and overlaps somewhat in the salt beach or hot dirt relic hunting capabilities such that the casual beach hunter or relic hunter would likely not be getting a good return on investment unless you are able to find a discounted used unit in good condition.  HTH.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1