Help With Equinox Ground Noise

67GTA

Been detecting for years, but relatively new to the multi frequency game. I am experiencing a lot of ground noise in multi that isn't present in single frequency. I was amazed at how much quieter single was compared to multi. When I use multi, it sounds like there is constant iron (low iron tones) with every swing. This happens every time and not just particular sites, and in different modes. I can't distinguish nails from what I'm guessing is ground minerals? In single frequencies, it is super quiet, and I can hear every little piece of iron. Once I noticed the difference I started digging low tones just to check. 90% of the low tones in multi aren't actually targets. I alway noise cancel and ground balance. Live in south central KY with pretty mild ground. Is this just a side effect of multi, or am I missing something?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Are you sure you're not picking up EMI?  Noise cancel doesn't always do that (i.e. completely cancel); it can only do so much.  Also, I didn't notice if you are wide open in your discriminating or notching out the lower channels (horseshoe button toggle).

One thing about EMI and multi-vs-single frequency:  when I get a lot of (non-cancellable) EMI in multi I usually get it at either 5 kHz or 40 kHz single frequency, with the intermediate frequencies (10 kHz, 15 kHz, 20 kHz) being quiet(er).  The new 4 kHz option tends to be quiet, at least compared to 5 kHz.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it's not EMI. Remote sites act the same way as urban areas. Deus doesn't pick up any EMI at the same sites. It only happens while the coil is moving on the ground in multi. I almost always have nothing discriminated unless I'm cherry picking a park. I'm usually hearing -9 to 40. 

45 minutes ago, 67GTA said:

It only happens while the coil is moving on the ground in multi.

That's the best sign it's not EMI.  I'll have to take a look at single frequencies when I get heavy ground noise in multi- and see if I can reproduce your experiences.  I've always assumed I was picking up iron trash (especially nails) after I verify the detector is ground balanced.

One more question -- which software version are your running?  I don't know if this would affect what you are seeing, but it does seem that some of the updates quieted things down.

2 hours ago, 67GTA said:

Been detecting for years, but relatively new to the multi frequency game. I am experiencing a lot of ground noise in multi that isn't present in single frequency. I was amazed at how much quieter single was compared to multi. When I use multi, it sounds like there is constant iron (low iron tones) with every swing

Interesting, usually it is the other way around?  

2 minutes ago, midalake said:

Interesting, usually it is the other way around?  

My thoughts too. Thought multi would be more stable. It even seems to separate better in iron that single frequencies. Has me scratching my head. Have had detector for three years, coil replaced for broken ears, and has always done this thinking back with both coils. 

2 hours ago, 67GTA said:

Been detecting for years, but relatively new to the multi frequency game. I am experiencing a lot of ground noise in multi that isn't present in single frequency. I was amazed at how much quieter single was compared to multi. When I use multi, it sounds like there is constant iron (low iron tones) with every swing. This happens every time and not just particular sites, and in different modes. I can't distinguish nails from what I'm guessing is ground minerals? In single frequencies, it is super quiet, and I can hear every little piece of iron. Once I noticed the difference I started digging low tones just to check. 90% of the low tones in multi aren't actually targets. I alway noise cancel and ground balance. Live in south central KY with pretty mild ground. Is this just a side effect of multi, or am I missing something?

Equinox will work most stable on a certain type of terrain at 1F frequency ... 5khz, 10khz, 15khz .. this is the secret ingredient of this technology ../ usually it is an extreme mineralization of magnetic mineralization / .. in some cases the terrain does not have to be extremely mireralized - but it simply has a strong ground signal response ..

If you have a constant response from the ground on the Multifrequency, which is located in the iron ID .., ..., then try to increase the recovery speed to such a high value / 5-6-7 / which will filter this ground signal better.

Also try to change the Program type to more stable..Programs Park 1, Field 1, Beach 1-2 can be more stable here ..

Try to use Discrimination at 0,+1, +2 , because "All Metal" less filters the terrain sign and gives more "iron ID".

You can also set the discrimination with Equinox to such an extent as to eliminate such ground signals in the iron zone. Try to set the discrimination to 0 at the beginning and then you can gradually reduce it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a lot of sites that give off lots of low tones on  many of the detectors I've owned. I used to think it was iron but eventually discovered that it was mostly small mineralized rocks. Now I can usually tell the difference between iron and mineralization. They both can mask targets though so I treat them about the same.

Hard to tell from memory. I think my 800 reacts about the same as yours does but it's not something that I would take much notice of. I have my iron volume turned all the way down so that any low tones are in the background and easily ignored.

I would have to go out and use the detector to know for sure if what I'm saying is right but right now we have eight inches of snow on the ground so I can only go by memory.

• Like 1