How Old Were You When You Started Metal Detecting?

I was 35 and while watching the   gold fever show I decided to join and I drove the 45 miles to the man who was head of the local chapter who happen to own Wilson 's metal detectors.I went home with a Bandito 2 U max and I was  hooked.I liked panning for gold too but it was easier to  go detecting because the good  spots were much closer.

• Like 9

17 years of age (1970, summer before senior year of high school) -- Heathkit GD-48.  But after 10 years of low activity I went AWOL for another 35 years and missed out on all the best USA detecting.  Water under the bridge; glad my sister relit the spark 6 years ago, and happy to say it's just as fun as it was in 1970.

• Like 9

it was 1975, was 21 years old and listed my high school band Saxophone in the local Green Sheet. A guy called and asked if I'd be interested in trading for a metal Detector. He had brain cancer and couldn't get out to detect, and I always wanted a detector so I traded with him. It was a White's Gold Master with a Metal/Mineral knob, and used 14 batteries if I remember. Found 36 Mercury dimes in a three foot circle next to the driveway of my 1917 house. I was hooked!

• Like 8
  • Oh my! 1

For me I’d been out the AF less than a year so I was about 25-27 and the year was 65-67. The first detector was a kit and the next year I bought a Whites BFO. Too much water has ran under the bridge from that time. I just know come May I’ll be 80 and that’s older than dirt.

Chuck 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I was 16, 1972. I got a Compass 77b Pro.

• Like 6

This past year after I turned 24 I was given my grandfathers detectors ( a 800 and a Tracker IV ) when he died.

So I have not been detecting a full year yet, but I have panned for gold and sluiced for about 12 years.

• Like 8

In 1969 I was 18. I started with a Metrotech 220 A and never looked back.

• Like 8