Ground Balance Offset

Positive gb the detector runs smoother with less depth. Negative gb makes it hotter, more chatty and can add depth. Some detectors won't increase the depth with a negative gb and work best with ground balance right on. You'll  have play around with it and see. I don't know if it helps the Multi Kruzer or not. As soon as the snow is gone I'll try it on Gold Kruzer.

• Like 2

I use tracking when beach combing with isat on 3 in beach mode.

Once your in the water there shouldn't be much difference with the gb changes unless you hit areas that have minerals in it like Iron etc.

Reason I use it while beach combing is as I approach the wet sand and surf my numbers will go down. Dry sand the GB will be in the 70's on average, damp sand will start to drop to 30-50's and wet less than 10 often 2-5 average here but there are patches where there may be iron which brings the number up a bit.

This is really area dependent. Chances are there won't be much to tweak out of the box other than gain and audio preferences.

• Like 2

Kac, Rick, many thanks for your replies guys....much appreciated. Hope to have a new MK soon in my hands to clear everything out...theory is nice (especially in quarantine time) & learned a lot already through our converstations to shorten my learning curve some (I always do this "learning preparation" while I wait for a new detector...you can call it excitement!), but nothing compares to real testing of our new toys 🙂

Have a nice weekend

• Like 1

A little update for anyone interested: the video below shows that my final conclusions some posts ago for the GB positive offset while in salt were correct, and can be used for our benefit if conditions allow. When auto ground balancing in salt water, seems that the detector performs a pretty aggressive (more than needed) auto salt cancelling in order to completely eliminate the salt signal, usually settling down to the lowest GB value of 00. As we know, tiny low conductive targets (small gold...chains, earrings etc) overlap within the salt range, so when we completelly eliminating the salt signal this also elimitates these tiny low conductors. Depending on the salinity levels of our beaches, we can possibly manually set our GB value a little less aggresive while in salt (=slightly positive offset, eg 07 instead of 00), which will slightly reposition the "fine limit line" between salt signals vs tiny gold signals, allowing these weak gold signals to introduce themsleves while still running fairly stable & eliminating most of the salt. (It's the same logic like when inland hunting, we set our GB slightly lower -negative offset this time since we're in the high side of the scale- to strengthen a deep coin's signal while still barrely hear ground noise).

I think everything makes sense now 🙂 Enjoy the vid, it's pretty self explanatory.

• Like 3

I enjoyed this thread, with the posted videos demonstrating the various effects of positive and negative GB on a particular detector.

I've had many detectors over the years, and prefer to do my own manual GB for what and where I'm hunting. I've always thought of the GB control as a squelch control on a communications receiver. Higher (e.g. tighter) squelch requires a stronger signal to "break" squelch, while lowering squelch threshold allows for weak signals to get through, but RFI (interference) would cause it to become chattery.

• Like 2

Thanks 🙂 Your "squelch control" similarity pretty much describes the actual GB outcome.

At a moment, I thought that I forced this thread on the "overthinking" side a bit, but in the end I'm really glad that I understood how this GB offset thing could work for my benefit if conditions allow, especially in salt underwater where I'm after every possible gold piece...

Glad you liked it 🙂

• Like 2

Keep in mind that is at 20khz too. Not sure if the same will apply to the Kruzer as that is a different machine and gb might be tighter than the Impact.

Kruzer my GB runs around 3-5 on average in the wet salt.

• Like 2

How about the Nox, aren't the same things taking place when you use beach 1, and beach 2, as opposed to the other preset programs at the beach that get chatty!? ie, beach 2 runs quiet in salt water, at the loss of depth! Beach 1, a little more depth on the dryer sand, etc... I'm guessing that trying to boost any of the presets for depth manually on the Nox is probably negligible at best!?

Thanks Argyris, and the rest of you, for catching my interest with this post! I missed some reading this week; trying to catch up, and wrap my head around all the info!👍👍

• Like 1

Kac yes, the last video is with an Impact indeed. However, if you remember the 1st video of this thread (which caused my curiosity), the same guy was using this GB positive offset trick with a Multi Kruzer @19khz in beach mode...not with an Impact! The Impact video above just shows how GB Offset works in more detail and helps to understand this easier.

Also, it's obvious that as he also states, a slightly possitive offset (to allow small gold signals to not be cancelled), means a slight increase of the GB value from whatever the auto GB value is for salt in our area....so if auto GB shows a 3-5, a slightly positive offset would be some additional points higher (eg 7-9)...and of course will only work if machine is still stable in salt. Same case if we needed negative offset while inland to run a little hotter for those deep silver coins...some points lower from whatever phase value GB would be.

Interesting is that, since starting this thread and started searching about it, I also found other guys that use positive GB offseting with their Kruzers or other VLFs in salt...and of course numerous old timers that use GB offseting when inland (negative offset in this case).

In any case, the theory behind this is always the same regardless what machine....GB offseting it's not something new.... and of course doesn't mean that will work in all conditions! But I think it's nice to understand the Hows & Whys for our machines instead of just following "common" settings...At least for me, it helped me better understand how the "substractive nature" of GB works in general 🙂

• Like 1

Hey Argyris,

Congrats on finding a new water detector to try out! I hope it does as well, or better than the last! Without the associated problems! Keep us posted how it goes for you!👍👍

• Like 1