Rating Minelab & Their Higher End Gold Detectors - Long Read

• The title was changed to Rating Minelab & Their Higher End Gold Detectors (long Read).
  • The title was changed to Rating Minelab & Their Higher End Gold Detectors ( Long Read )

For me I agree with the basic assessment that each ML even each ML VLFs were a step up, the first PI SD2000 was a big step on the VLFs, the 2100 another fairly big step, as you noted the 2200 was only a little step with its discrimination and auto GB after that each PI model had refinements with the 5000 the best for highly mineralized ground and then the ZVT Z was a few steps up in one hit, no cables, wireless speaker and increased depth and sensitivity plus more ergonomic ( I can hear lots rebelling to that)😉  I trust ML and have since the SD2100, simply ordering the next model well before release thus overall I rate ML above all other gold detector manufacturers, light years above, they are the "Microsoft" of Metal Detectors.

• Like 5

Good summary. A lot of that was before my time! I forgot about the 4800 completely.

It's almost like one could say there was a first gold detector revolution in the mid 90's SD's and then another with the SDC and 7000 in 2015. The GPX introduction in 2006 was a...half revolution? :smile:

Anyways, it looks like every 10-ish years we see a new plateau from Minelab. Wonder if we are going to see something revolutionary in 2025ish like full discrim on PI/ZVT or the ultimate detector black swan idea - GPR. Or, if upon reflection GeoSense will be revolutionary enough to bring it 4 years early?

• Like 2

For some one doing it for wages, it would be foolish to not up grade at each release. For an amateur each major up grade is worth thinking about, but only buy the best for your conditions when you do. You will still find gold with the best old models even if it does not find wages. 

• Like 3

Gerry,

Any idea how far back in the models that Minelab is still supporting repairs ?

If I were able to find a reasonably clean / operating older model, could repairs still be made? Or would I be out of luck should the electronics gremlin strike ? Is there an obvious point in models where age makes the purchase a foolish one? 

rich - 

• Like 2

Thank you Gerry.

My first gold detector was a 5000.  My first trip to the desert to look for gold with it was in 2010 and it took me about a year to connect with anyone that helped me find my first nugget.

Since that time I've bought several of the Minelabs Gerry mentioned and I still have them.  I've also found some gold with the CTX 3030 based upon Gold Hound's settings.  Then there is the 800 that has also found me some gold.  The only detector I've 'skipped' was the GM.

I would have to say in Gerry's description he is more concerned with a timeline than he is with a model number line and I think for good reason.  New models are standing on the shoulders of previous detectors that Minelab (and others) have made.  As Norvic said, "they are the "Microsoft" of Metal Detectors."

If I had the time to detect right now I'd be on a pre-order list.

Mitchel

• Like 3

Hi Gerry it's really simple for me...

No other company has delivered a detector that I can make a living off!

I have not bought a detector off minlab that did not meet or exceed my expectations.

My first detector was a 3500 and I have owned every gold detector and high end coin detector since. And all have made me money.

I agree with your summery except for the 5000, the introduction of the extra timings and more refined electronics which made it more stable in normal alowed me to find a lot of extra gold in areas previously gone over with the 4500. The Finegold timing in particular.

• Like 7

• The title was changed to Rating Minelab & Their Higher End Gold Detectors - Long Read
5 hours ago, Gold Hound said:

I agree with your summery except for the 5000, the introduction of the extra timings and more refined electronics which made it more stable in normal alowed me to find a lot of extra gold in areas previously gone over with the 4500. The Finegold timing in particular.

The 6000 has big shoes to replace but we know ML will do.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Norvic said:

The 6000 has big shoes to replace but we know ML will do.

They've had a bit of time to consider this roll out.  Better to trust rather than distrust.

• Like 1

I have owned the 2200d (it definitely worked well), GP3500 (really liked the ground balance button on the handle and still my favorite Minelab PI), GPX4800 (enough said), Whites TDI SL (no comment) and the SDC2300 (which I liked and hated equally). I might have 10 more years to hit the gold fields of the western USA. I am going to sell anything I can and save up to hopefully buy a GPX6000 in the future, after all of you professionals get your hands on one and give it an honest verdict. I still have a QED PL3 to play around with in the interim.

• Like 4