Don't Ignore Those Iron Tones! Found A Nice Penny Bank Near An Old Farmhouse

That is pretty cool! I have been using lemon juice to clean some stuff like that and it seems to work well.  Nice find. 

• Like 1

Nice find, and I hope it cleans up well for you.

Antiques like that are hard to find anymore.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 1

Excellent find (and approach).  Another reminder that discrimination (whether detector settings or brain settings) should at least be site based.  Makes me wonder how many keepers I've missed by being too selective....  Too bad they didn't leave you a few pennies inside, but still a worthy display piece.  There was a period (1950's?) when commercial banks were advertising by handing out similar items, but I don't see advertising on yours (do you?).  There are collectors of those.  I agree that yours looks way older than 1950's.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Excellent find (and approach).  Another reminder that discrimination (whether detector settings or brain settings) should at least be site based.  Makes me wonder how many keepers I've missed by being too selective....  Too bad they didn't leave you a few pennies inside, but still a worthy display piece.  There was a period (1950's?) when commercial banks were advertising by handing out similar items, but I don't see advertising on yours (do you?).  There are collectors of those.  I agree that yours looks way older than 1950's.

Agreed, I too often get caught up in only focusing on mid and high tones myself, so I'm glad I did dig this one up. The piece simply says "BANK" across the front with no additional text. Here's a photo of it shortly after coming out of the ground for comparison purposes.

PXL_20210124_233123840.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By bklein
      I am not liking my EQ600 with 15” coil and am wondering if it’s just my brain is too attached to my CTX, or if something is wrong with the coil or detector. I am noticing that the coil cable is being sensed if moved when I’m detecting so I did this little video test that uses my car as a ferrous background/target. If I move the cable with it in the background it senses the movement. But if I do it in air, no detection of the cable.  I’ve never seen this discussed or tried before so don’t know what to think about it.

• By F350Platinum
      Decided to make a day of detecting today. It was a pretty nice day so I first went back to the hill behind my house, but didn't search there. Instead I went down a ravine in the woods to a spot where there might have been some colonial activity. It was supposed to become a boat launch when my area was developed but it never happened, the road to it is almost impenetrable now. Hacked around for a bit but found so few iron signals I decided to move to the landing. The beavers were getting mad anyway, I could hear them slapping their tails against the ground.
      I was hoping to get a good low tide to hunt the beach but it never happened. Wind was wrong and the tide didn't go out much, so I went to Plan C which was to just randomly hack around the landing. It's starting to grow a low cover of poison ivy, so I hunted for the most part where it was sparse or not there.
      Didn't do too bad! Got a huge tack buckle, a small D buckle, old faucet handle, a 1990 quarter that I dug out of the gravel in the road, a 1900 IHP, a military service button (WW1) backmarked "The Art Metal Works Newark NJ", my first ever complete 17-18th century shoe buckle (extremely fragile), and the puzzle piece of the day - the other half of a belt buckle I found there a while back.
      If you've been reading my previous hunts, I cleaned up that tiny anvil I dug in Savannah:
      Kinda disappointed it doesn't have any maker marks on it, was hoping for "ACME" or something. 😀
      A while back I dug a sheath out of the river, it was so packed with black river gunk I had wait a while for it to dry to get whatever was in it out. Turned out to be this knife, sad that it's completely gone, it would be worth about $250. It's a 70s Schrade Old Timer 25OT Hunter.
    • By kac
      Hitting old grounds but this time using my Tejon and picking out the deeper stuff with the 10x12. Was able to pick out this old naval button 1800's. It was a 2 piece but back was missing. Still has some gold plating left. Not sure what the age is pre or post civ war. 2nd weekend the Tejon keeps winning the day in these picked clean places. Really got my settings down and having fun.

• By Kaolin washer
      Special thanks to Calabash digger for his reasearch on the pitch mode being good in iron , and His heads up on keeping the silencer at -1 so the target does not get masked in iron . well i used the pitch mode on the DEUS and kept the silencer @ -1 and it came thru for me , Got a good hit on many non ferrous targets today and some right next to iron . i was using the full tones but when i seen Calabash diggers VDs on the pitch mode i had to try that and it has proven to work very well  the VDI on this target was 49 and 50 right where a 22 casing comes in  or some foils . glad i dug it 

• By longbow62
      I posted this on another forum other than Detector Prospector also. I feel Detector Prospector tends to be a bit more technical oriented than the other forum so I posted it here also.
      I am 100% all in on the Equinox. I like it so much I have 2 800's. My biggest gripe is how susceptible it is to EMI. Some of my best spots have EMI so bad I have to turn the Nox down to like 15 or below. I used to run a Nokta Impact in 14kHz as my main detector before I got the Nox and it had EMI issues also, but I don't remember it being quite as bad. I think the Nox is a much hotter detector than the Impact is. It's sure a lot deeper than the Impact. I don't have the problem everywhere so I know it's not a detector problem. Running a smaller coil helps some, but not a lot.
      So I've had an Etrac and never once did I have any audible EMI issues. Is it Multi-IQ that is susceptible or what?
      Do power companies check for EMI issues like bad connections or transformers that may be the culprit? Most of my issues have been in the older parts of towns where the power infrastructure tends to be much older.
      How many other people with the Equinox notice EMI is worse on it more than other detectors they use?