So ... You Want To Find A Meteorite With A Drone?

This is a really great paper describing how you can use the latest technology (AI) and algorithms to locate meteorites.  Now just imagine what else you can find if you have the time and knowledge.  There are a few here on this forum who will be enlightened by this article but certainly not surprised.  It is just a matter of time that we process massive amounts of data quickly.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2009.13852.pdf 

• Like 6

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By karelian
      The importance of using a good quality metal detector suitable for prospecting has been widely explored in great detail. The introduction of the GPX 6000 highlights the gains in technology and thank goodness, ergonomics. Weight and Balance, at last. Matched by performance and cutting edge technology..  The one fact remains that at the end of the day the key is to get the coil over the gold. Some truly magnificent gold that has been found, could have been detected by any half decent prospecting machine. Still we should invest in quality and the new Minelab sounds superb. We need to utilize every tool at our disposal.
      Often after extensive research, Google Earth images, maps, books and word of mouth can all lead us to a certain goldfields. When we arrive there is a lot of suitable ground to explore. Perhaps too much ground and not enough time to give it the attention it deserves.. In an effort to narrow the search I have started to use a drone when exploring a new area. It allows me to gain perspective, to more clearly focus on areas and features of interest. When the terrain allows it, this will same me a lot of time and increase my odds of putting a coil over a target. Viewed from the ground vegetation can mask features which kind of pop up when viewed from the air, the drone allows me to focus on a smaller area of interest.

• By mn90403
      Now this is a somewhat subjective category but maybe we can make our own and add others.  What do you think is a famous meteorite?
      I would say Meteor Crater in Arizona.  The meteorites in question are actually called Canyon Diablos.  
      Here is a list from LiveScience and it doesn't include Canyon Diablos.
      https://www.livescience.com/15445-fallen-stars-gallery-famous-meteorites.html 
    • By idahogold
      Good Times Ahead! Cheers" all from finally thawin" Idaho! 😂

• By geof_junk
      Only an Aussie could pull this one off!
      A true story from the Mount Isa in Queensland.

Recently a routine Police patrol car parked outside a local neighbourhood pub.

Late in the evening the officer noticed a man leaving the bar so intoxicated that he could barely walk.

The man stumbled around the car park for a few minutes, with the officer
      quietly observing. After what seemed an eternity and trying his keys on five
      vehicles. The man managed to find his car, which he fell into.

He was there for a few minutes as a number of other patrons left the bar and drove off. Finally he started the car, switched the wipers on and off (it was a fine dry night). Then flicked the indicators on, then off, tooted the horn and then switched on the lights.

He moved the vehicle forward a few cm, reversed a little and then remained
      stationary for a few more minutes as some more vehicles left. At last he pulled
      out of the car park and started to drive slowly down the road.

The Police officer, having patiently waited all this time, now started up the patrol car, put on the flashing lights, promptly pulled the man over and carried out a random breathalyser test.

To his amazement the breathalyser indicated no evidence of the man's intoxication.

The Police officer said "I'll have to ask you to accompany me to the Police station - this breathalyser equipment must be broken."

"I doubt it," said the man, "tonight I'm the designated decoy".
      Do you have a designated drive (not decoy) system in USA.
    • By Erik Oostra
      I thought I'd take a closer look at which of Magnetic Island's old gold diggings are within the borders of the National Park.. The first image is a map of the island showing the National Park borders.. the second image is a Google Earth map showing the locations of the old gold diggings.. 

• By Norvic
      Rare meteorite found by gold fossickers sold to Geoscience Australia after lying undiscovered for 4.5 billion years - ABC News
      https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-18/qld-gold-fossickers-sell-meteorite-to-geoscience-australia/100015142