GPX 6000 Replaces GPX 5000?

Interesting Steve. 

The aftermarket coil manufacturers will have a little “Who moved my cheese” moment if they read that. 

• Like 1

Very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing Steve. I noticed the gold monster and SDC are still shown in the fleet. So apperantly no change there as of now.

I talked with Maxwell at Minelab America a couple weeks ago and I asked him if the Gpx5000 was going out and he said not any time soon. I asked him do we still have at least 2 years and he said yes.

• Like 7

Hello everyone, I am from Greece and I have a Gpx 5000 for about 7 years, having a few different coils in mono and dd and some accessories such as: carbon shaft, b&z booster with speaker, nugget buster headphones ... and more. It is a wonderful pulse machine with perfect gb.
In Greece, as in the rest of Europe, gold nuggets are not the primary research, we are interested in hunting relics and hidden treasures of gold coins, gold bars and more from the Second World War.
But, I can not understand why Minelab does not pay the necessary attention with the presentation of new models not to have iron discrimination, thus making the Gpx 5000, which has been around for several years, as the best option we could have.
This is a large customer market of relic hunters and I think Minelab would do well to give more importance to this piece. 
The only thing for sure is that they would gain a lot from it.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, stampa said:

But, I can not understand why Minelab does not pay the necessary attention with the presentation of new models not to have iron discrimination, thus making the Gpx 5000, which has been around for several years, as the best option we could have.

Very good point you are raising. I think the problem is that high-end gold detectors by nature struggle with discrimination in the high performance mode because both ferrous and mineralized soil produce the same type of signal (called +X). Non-ferrous targets produce -X. This obviously causes a major problem, as the soil signal interferes with target ferrous/non-ferrous measurements, especially because the strength of signal from the soil is often much larger than the target signals (small gold nuggets embedded in large +X producing soil). For large targets or targets very close to the coil this works better, but for typical gold machines that specialize for very subtle changes in X and R signals the discrimination is a challenge. That being said, I totally agree with you that this is a missing feature. Perhaps Bruce Candy will figure this out one day! 

• Like 1

All I can say is my dream is to hunt ground like the guy using the Monster in above pic Steve posted.....YES!!!!!!!

I’ve been waiting for a lighter Minelab GPX model with discrimination, mainly for relic hunting. When I first read about Minelabs new 6000 model, assumed it had discrimination. As more information rolled out,  It was disappointing to see that was not the case. 

I hope Boykin is right, Maybe we’ll see a discrimination model in the future. Would like to see a future GPX model similar to the GPX 6000, same performance only with a discrimination feature and same type handle/battery setup. Most relic hunters using the GPX 5000 for relic hunting will make the switch I know I will, Guess my GPX 5000 will still be my main relic detector. 

Good work on the Forum Steve!
Paul

• Like 4