GPX 6000 Replaces GPX 5000?

10 hours ago, tboykin said:

They are saving iron discrim for the next GPZ. Gotta differentiate the products to justify the price difference.

OMG I can’t wait!!!

• Like 3

Check this patent out, which I believe is for the GPX6000. There are a couple things to take from this, one of which is that the "sensitivity" control affects multiple detector settings (gain + ground cancellation, and likely some DSP stuff like audio smoothing/threshold settings).

The more interesting patent to me is this one, which presents a possible way a GPZ (or "P.I.-like signal") could be further developed to discriminate. Here is an excerpt (prior art refers to past patents):

• While the prior art offers a form of discrimination, the present invention offers an alternative.
    In particular, the present invention is a discrimination method that is insensitive to the signals from both resistive and reactive signal components from the soil. It was discovered for the purpose of the present invention that the presence of resistive signal components from the soil may be confused with resistive signal components from metallic targets, and thus identifying the time constant spectrum of the metallic target yields in unsatisfactory results in the presence of substantial resistive signal components from the soil. The discrimination method offered by the present invention is insensitive to both resistive and reactive signal components from the soil, which may also include a component due to a substantially uniform conducting half-space (such as a saline soil).

So it's a form of discrimination that could be used in salty or severe ground conditions. Further down in the description it talks about using different parts of the coil to process a single target (directly over and off to the side). You know how iron seems to be off to one side of your hole? One way to summarize this entire patent is using more data points, or looking at objects in multiple different ways.

And this part is really interesting:

• 4. The method of claim 3, wherein the at least two different time periods are defined in a single synchronous demodulation function.
  • 5. The method of claim 1, wherein the set of data is produced through a linear combination of signals from at least two different frequencies.
  • 6. The method of claim 5, wherein the at least two frequencies are defined in a single synchronous demodulation function.

Sounds kinda like a hybrid detector, doesn't it?

• Like 8

You're right, Tom; and it sure sounds like the summary section of the patent is describing the 3 overlapping feedback systems employed in the GPX 6000 to eliminate signals produced by changing mineralization and EMI.

AE7D8A4C-C639-456B-B7A2-85EC10340D49.jpeg.0fab451624e1b3913e36b439d0475192.jpeg

And hopefully the new method of discrimination for a future PI/ZVT hybrid detector, since it's oblivious to soil mineralization, will be accurate to full depth. Wouldn’t that be something.🤔

• Like 9

Hi All

Am new to the forum and have been detecting for 35+yrs.  I am posting here to get opinions from experienced detectorists regarding the Minelab GPX 6000.  I currently do not have a dedicated gold detector and am considering picking this one up before I have to "hang 'em up" so to speak.  I do have a reasonably good knowledge of PI as I have a Whites Surfmaster and have been quite happy with it over the years.

I know that right now there really is no hard information out there yet on this machine but I do have a couple of questions:

1. I notice from comments that this unit may not be software upgradeable.  (as in no port for hookup to computer).  Is this an issue/warning to those of you experienced with minelab?  Does this pose any limitations?

2. I'm in Alberta, Canada so i believe that this unit will lend itself well to the mountainous areas here.  Can folks on the forum pls confirm? 

I am contemplating to visiting Dawson City YK again and having a go at the tailings piles too.  (And yes, I will be bringing my VLF's along).  I just want to have a VERY good dedicated gold detector in my arsenal.

Comments are very welcome!

• Like 3

On 2/26/2021 at 11:26 AM, BMaxx said:

Hi All

Am new to the forum and have been detecting for 35+yrs.  I am posting here to get opinions from experienced detectorists regarding the Minelab GPX 6000.  I currently do not have a dedicated gold detector and am considering picking this one up before I have to "hang 'em up" so to speak.  I do have a reasonably good knowledge of PI as I have a Whites Surfmaster and have been quite happy with it over the years.

I know that right now there really is no hard information out there yet on this machine but I do have a couple of questions:

1. I notice from comments that this unit may not be software upgradeable.  (as in no port for hookup to computer).  Is this an issue/warning to those of you experienced with minelab?  Does this pose any limitations? 

2. I'm in Alberta, Canada so i believe that this unit will lend itself well to the mountainous areas here.  Can folks on the forum pls confirm? 

I am contemplating to visiting Dawson City YK again and having a go at the tailings piles too.  (And yes, I will be bringing my VLF's along).  I just want to have a VERY good dedicated gold detector in my arsenal.

Comments are very welcome!

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

There is no information confirming or denying that the GPX 6000 is software upgradable, just statements from people who really do not know. Since every machine Minelab has released for years does have such a feature, it would be odd to decide to leave it out now. However, 99% of the detectors ever sold have had no update facility, and the world got on just fine. In this day and age an ability to update if need be is an extra layer of assurance for early buyers, not so much for people late to the game. Some companies still do not have this feature on any of their detectors, so it is far from a necessity, but it is something I prefer on any new detector.

As far as weight of 4.6 lbs and dimensions, you know as much as anyone here. The bottom line is all known information is already published, and anything else is the realm of speculation at this point.

You will always find the latest information at the link below, and if the information is not there.... it is not available yet. I check daily for anything new and update the page as appropriate.

Minelab GPX 6000 Data & Reviews

minelab-gpx-6000-compact-and-collapsible.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I actually wonder why Minelab even called it a GPX 6000. It isn't remotely the same as any of the other GPX range of detectors. Hell....it wont even take the other GPX detector coils. Guess the only similarity is the color & the coils are white & round. 😂

G4G 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, geek4gold said:

I actually wonder why Minelab even called it a GPX 6000. It isn't remotely the same as any of the other GPX range of detectors. Hell....it wont even take the other GPX detector coils. Guess the only similarity is the color & the coils are white & round. 😂

G4G 

I wondered the same thing too. I kept thinking it would be like a 5000, but better on EMI and maybe with a more refined discrimination, and a tad bit deeper. But it may be that in the countries that are the new gold areas, Minelab wanted to continue the continuity of the 5000, so that they would not perceive it as a completely new machine. The 5000 probably produced a lot of gold for them, so they wanted to keep riding the successes of it. I have this odd feeling that the 6000 is the last of that series or that the series has morphed, and we will never see anything like the 5000 again. Will we ever get discrimination again??

• Like 2