Have Any Of You Heard Of Or Found More Then 1 Gold Coin In A Day?

Not yet, working on it 🙂

• Like 1

I'd like to find ONE gold coin, had pretty good luck with silver (Spanish only) in my area. I have yet to search an area that had horse racing in the 1700s that is part of the enormous (now over 300 acres) permission I have. I have set my goals low and really appreciate the simple things I have found so far. Heck a colonial period button makes my day, but it happens almost every day I go out there.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Dances-with-Doves:   So how many gold coins total for your career ?  

No, I've never found 2 in one day.   But I did get 2 in one week once 🙂

That  Day is the only day I struck gold coins.I am a 1 hit wonder.One of the guys on that hunt would get a $1 gold piece made into a love token a couple years later and in a town 70 miles east.One old timer told me about a horse track that was used by rich  people near the  city of Auburn,N.Y. about 80 miles from home.It is in a farm field and we never really checked it out because we forgot what    road it was on.We should have wrote it down. He  found 1 there,1 at a old Erie canal lock, and 1 at a east Lake  Ontario park.If  I do research I could probably find it since  i now the area it is in.There can't be to many tracks in that area. 2 in 1 week is impressive and you have your s mint coins.I did  find a 1895-o barber dime a week before I found the gold coins.  

• Like 2

I was doing a farm paddock the was a known horse race track. The wife was detecting down on the flat with no luck. I took the high ground that over looked it and was do really good on silver coins and was gridding the spot. The wife walked up swinging her detector saying it been flogged, and stopped dead and dug up a 1800 gold sovereign. I said that mine, but got told finder keepers. That was her second gold coin the first was at a gold site. She keep close to and old hut while I looked for nuggets a bit away from her. Don't ask me how many gold coins I have found.😭 As she always asks the same question when gold coins come up.

• Like 3

Noooooooooooooooo , but it's only a matter of time , right ?......right ??

I'd be happy just finding one at a time too !

Would you be interested in stories of the days I didn't find gold ?   I've got a lot of those ! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Haha 2
16 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

I got lucky and found 2 1909  quarter eagle  gold coins in 1 hole.The expert hunter Mike Moutray while driving around the country and hunting with people who  guided him to good spots in  their area. He got a hold of my buddy and we  met him at a restaurant and went south to a place that had a old    sulfur spring  and use to  have a  gambling horse track.He hunted around a 200 year old plus oak tree and only went 3/4 of the way around it. He then went to the rest  room and to a different  spot.I went to the tree and hunted in  areas he did not hunt and got a iffy hit.I used my  Sun Ray  probe and got a pull tab hit and pulled out a gold coin and then got my second.I put in my probe and got the same hit but pulled out a fired  bullet.I am sure that he would have  probably got it of  he hunted the whole  tree.I had the coins in the gold pan I had with  the dirt and when he saw them he rolled his  eyes probably because he knows he did not hunt the whole tree.He did get his first 3 cent silver though.This happened in October 2003.

You know what they say “pics or it didn’t happen “. LOL!  A gold coin spill is something we all dream of!   Congrats!

Location, Location, Location and dig everything is the key, at least for me. I've done it 3 times.

1st time 1851 $1 and 1851 $2 1/2 in the same area about 50 yards away from each other both using the Minelab GPX.

2nd time 1854 $1 and 1852 $1 first one with the XP Deus second one with the Minelab GPX found in the same day but actually hiked to a different area about a 1/2 mile away.

3rd time 1853 $1 and 1852 $1 first one was with the Minelab GPX second one with the Minelab Equinox 600. Found same day in the same general area but over the hill from each other.

Who says you can't use a GPX in iron trash?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Condor
      Another forum member and I decided to explore some new ground about 80 miles from home in Sunny Yuma.  We were working off some of the old USGS pubs for ideas on new areas or at least new areas to us.  We set off yesterday exploring offroad in the RZR for these extinct placer works.  The first 2 locations really did not look like gold producing areas and we couldn't find any evidence of old workings.  Abandoning that area we just started driving some of the old tracks looking for evidence of placer works.  By early afternoon we had about decided to give up when I spotted a new, bright yellow claim sign down the end of a wash.  We drove down there to see what was the ground looked like.  A quick hike revealed the claim owners were drywashing a small gully to bedrock fairly recently.  We decided to take an adjacent wash and see if we could find similar looking ground.  We drove to the end of the wash and although it was getting late in the day we set off to explore the zone about 1/2 mile from the other claim.  There was no sign of placer works in a series of desert washes with shallow bedrock.  About 30 minutes in, I get a decent target sound and started digging.  My friend ended up in the same gully and came up as I was digging.  We got to bedrock and using a pinpointer found a small nugget.  He went on while I finished up.  I swept the hole one last time and got another tone.  To make a long story tolerable, I found 4 nuggets in the same hole.  I got another couple tiny nuggets on the way back to the RZR, he got 1.  
      We hit it again today trying to expand on our search.  I found a decent nugget right off, then nothing for the next hour.  We met up to compare notes, he had found 1 as well.  We split up again and not 50 yds away I got a good tone right next to a bedrock dropoff.  I dug for close to 45 minutes pulling 8 small nuggets out of the same hole.  I found nothing else the rest of the day.  He found a spot that produced 3 nuggets in the same hole and a spot that produced 2 nuggets in the same hole.  It's not unheard of that certain conditions concentrate the nuggets in a favorable spot.  But, the rest of the wash was apparently barren.  I supposed if we dug through the overburden there might be more small nuggets on bedrock, but that's like working.  
      We were in essence "blue sky" detecting, not having any specific knowledge about the area.  Here in Yuma you can't find a desert wash that hasn't been drywashed, so you have a clue that gold has been found before.  Out there, there were no clues to previous gold finds or what might be gold producing areas.  So we were lucky, or as Louis Pasteur said "Luck favors the prepared mind".  Hard work and persistence paid off this time.  
      It's the possibilities that keep us going, not the probabilities.  
      I'm not computer literate enough to fix these angles, Steve H will step in at some point and make them more viewable.  2.38grams is yesterdays single hole.  2.78 is yesterdays total.  2.52 is todays from a single hole.  1.10 is the lonesome nugget I found this morning.   The scoop in the hole shows the glory hole of 8 nuggets.  The other photos are both our nuggets from today on the tailgate of my truck.  I don't have a weight on his nuggets.  

• By vanursepaul
      Dam Aussies wont let me in yet......... bugger all...
      Starting from Big Spring TX (dust storm central today) and heading west on I-20 to I-10 then thru New Mexico and im pretty sure I will be slowing down as I go thru AZ----- 
      then either on to LA via Rand quad or sweep up thru Vegas and on to, tri-tip Luckys Cold Springs Hideout---- then take a left over the pass and on in to Porta-toilet where Sourdough Scott hangs out so i can pick up a jar of relish!!!!!---- next would be a refreshment stop in Quincy area to see a few old mates---- then on the Redding area,  and over the hill to Eureka- then North to Alaska.....
      YOU HAVE ALL BEEN FORE-WARNED..... use your due diligence to decide if you want to be in those areas.....hahahahahaha.🤣😂🤠

• By Dances With Doves
      Back when  Palladium was around $400 a man   lost his almost 20 gram ring with stones in a shallow  bay on a  Finger Lake.He called the club and my buddy called me and we made the half hour drive to the spot.He did not know  where he lost it in this about 20 acre  cove.Armed with my 5by8 coil on My At gold I got a most unusual sound and  scooped up his huge ring.I walked over to him since he met us there and I drooped the ring in  his hand and asked if this is what you are looking for.This man was so happy  because he  did not believe he would ever see the ring again.He gave the  club a gift of about $150 and  since then the price of palladium has hit about $2400.One other time a man on the  beach lost his ring just by posing for  pictures on the beach. I found it in 20 seconds since I was walking by  when they lost it. I said  I don't  want anything and just kept on hunting down the beach.In this instance a man lost something without even being overly active.The only time I got paid was when i found a young man's key to his  sport       car which was  expensive to replace .I found it in 30 seconds and this guy was  very happy.He offered me money but I refused.He kept on   insisting so   i said I will use it to take my buddy to  Wendy' s to celebrate you getting your  key back.Me and my buddy used the         $20 for a nice meal at Wendy's.One other time someone left a keg on the beach and me and my buddy split the $20  deposit.You  never  know what adventure the beach will bring you.
    • By Tiftaaft
      My Quest - 2021.
      In years past I have set goals on what I want to accomplish with my detector each year.  The past few years, I have been sidetracked by a re-location to a new job in a new city, and really spent the time getting settled with my family… but as I look out my window in West Houston, and see the snow falling to the ground (yes I said West Houston..!!), I felt it was time to engage my competitive nature in detecting again.
      I happen to live about 6 blocks away from an elementary school, and through historical topo research I discovered that this was a school grounds back to at least 1915.  Of course, as with many school grounds these days… a new school was built, and then another, each one covering a bit, and a bit more of the historical playground area with either the new building(s) or parking lots.  And in the case of this old school – a portion turned into a fenced off water run-off area.  However some of the original grounds exist in an open field adjacent to the new school and parking area, along with some old growth trees, that appeared to be small but in existence judging from the earliest aerials I could find. 
      I have hunted this site since moving here (I mean… it is old ground and walking distance from my house) many times…  I believe a large portion of the ground is overlay/fill dirt to set up a good platform for the new school grounds… so any old finds in this area have been non-existent… However, as I have hunted nearer to a tree line on the outside edge of the old grounds, I have popped up a few older finds, one merc, and a handful of wheaties, along with some clad.  I can tell this site has been cherry picked with the best of them… the one silver coin, and the higher conductive clad finds have been co-located with iron, or other trash…  And this site has plenty of iron and trash.  Which brings me to my long-winded Quest for this year.
      This hammered site (hunted many times by me in the past year, but also obviously hammered prior to my time here) is my target for 2021.  I have hunted it enough times to know these will not be easy “just get the coil over the target” goals… My Quest is as follows:
      One Silver Coin One Indian Head Cent One Buffalo Nickel One "V" Nickel The challenge will be un-masking a silver coin - given the cherry picked nature and masked potential targets of this site.  Challenging in a different way will be finding the lower conductors in the heavy trash area (for example, the few nickels I have recovered, were at a ratio of at least 1 in 25 tabs - all coming in at either solid 12 or 13 on my Equinox).  I will start by trying to use the technology of my machines, and develop my ability to decipher what they are telling me especially in the areas where I have uncovered the wheat cents near the trees, and hopefully making me a better detectorist in the process.  However, I am not shy from endeavoring to start “cleaning out” small sections of the site at a time, which will be lots of trash digging, but if I have learned nothing from my experience and all the posts from more experienced detectorists than me… a site is NEVER hunted out. 
      If nothing else – posting it here will keep me motivated to strive toward the goal.  I will follow up with my progress in much shorter forum posts, I promise 😊. 
      HH in 2021 everyone.  ~Tim.
    • By PG-Prospecting
      Fun little outing from a year or two ago.  No gold found but the day was cut short by an east coast land mine aka ground bees.  

I use lidar to discuss my methodology and reasoning for detecting this area.  I also discuss what I look for when detecting for gold on the east coast out side of stream channels.  

you can get a good idea of the challenges faced when detecting for gold on the east coast, (thick leaf mat, organic topsoil increases the depth that a detector has to see through to even reach possible good ground.  Vegetation covers everything etc.  

Hope y’all enjoy.  Feed back is always appreciated.  

• By KellycoDetectors
      Hello everyone!
      The name is Matt Ryan. I run the Youtube channel Tennessee Adventures and am part of the Kellyco VIP team. 
      I was out with my Nokta Simplex the other day when I got a really good signal ringing up lower than a penny. I had the Nokta Makro Simplex in field mode and the sensitivity was set to halfway. I prefer to use field mode because it seems a lot deeper than the other modes to me and I prefer the tones on it way better.
      I picked that particular park because the trees were really old. That’s usually something that I pay attention to. 
      After I cut the plug and used my pinpointer to locate the coin, I realized I had dug up an old coin. 
      Completely shocked, I looked at the coin and realized I found an 1863 Civil War era Indian Head Penny. 
      It’s the oldest coin that I have ever found. Watch the video to learn more!