Have Any Of You Heard Of Or Found More Then 1 Gold Coin In A Day?

I'd like to find ONE gold coin, had pretty good luck with silver (Spanish only) in my area. I have yet to search an area that had horse racing in the 1700s that is part of the enormous (now over 300 acres) permission I have. I have set my goals low and really appreciate the simple things I have found so far. Heck a colonial period button makes my day, but it happens almost every day I go out there.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Dances-with-Doves:   So how many gold coins total for your career ?  

No, I've never found 2 in one day.   But I did get 2 in one week once 🙂

That  Day is the only day I struck gold coins.I am a 1 hit wonder.One of the guys on that hunt would get a $1 gold piece made into a love token a couple years later and in a town 70 miles east.One old timer told me about a horse track that was used by rich  people near the  city of Auburn,N.Y. about 80 miles from home.It is in a farm field and we never really checked it out because we forgot what    road it was on.We should have wrote it down. He  found 1 there,1 at a old Erie canal lock, and 1 at a east Lake  Ontario park.If  I do research I could probably find it since  i now the area it is in.There can't be to many tracks in that area. 2 in 1 week is impressive and you have your s mint coins.I did  find a 1895-o barber dime a week before I found the gold coins.  

• Like 2

I was doing a farm paddock the was a known horse race track. The wife was detecting down on the flat with no luck. I took the high ground that over looked it and was do really good on silver coins and was gridding the spot. The wife walked up swinging her detector saying it been flogged, and stopped dead and dug up a 1800 gold sovereign. I said that mine, but got told finder keepers. That was her second gold coin the first was at a gold site. She keep close to and old hut while I looked for nuggets a bit away from her. Don't ask me how many gold coins I have found.😭 As she always asks the same question when gold coins come up.

• Like 3

Noooooooooooooooo , but it's only a matter of time , right ?......right ??

I'd be happy just finding one at a time too !

Would you be interested in stories of the days I didn't find gold ?   I've got a lot of those ! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

I got lucky and found 2 1909  quarter eagle  gold coins in 1 hole.The expert hunter Mike Moutray while driving around the country and hunting with people who  guided him to good spots in  their area. He got a hold of my buddy and we  met him at a restaurant and went south to a place that had a old    sulfur spring  and use to  have a  gambling horse track.He hunted around a 200 year old plus oak tree and only went 3/4 of the way around it. He then went to the rest  room and to a different  spot.I went to the tree and hunted in  areas he did not hunt and got a iffy hit.I used my  Sun Ray  probe and got a pull tab hit and pulled out a gold coin and then got my second.I put in my probe and got the same hit but pulled out a fired  bullet.I am sure that he would have  probably got it of  he hunted the whole  tree.I had the coins in the gold pan I had with  the dirt and when he saw them he rolled his  eyes probably because he knows he did not hunt the whole tree.He did get his first 3 cent silver though.This happened in October 2003.

You know what they say “pics or it didn’t happen “. LOL!  A gold coin spill is something we all dream of!   Congrats!

Location, Location, Location and dig everything is the key, at least for me. I've done it 3 times.

1st time 1851 $1 and 1851 $2 1/2 in the same area about 50 yards away from each other both using the Minelab GPX.

2nd time 1854 $1 and 1852 $1 first one with the XP Deus second one with the Minelab GPX found in the same day but actually hiked to a different area about a 1/2 mile away.

3rd time 1853 $1 and 1852 $1 first one was with the Minelab GPX second one with the Minelab Equinox 600. Found same day in the same general area but over the hill from each other.

Who says you can't use a GPX in iron trash?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1