Have Any Of You Heard Of Or Found More Then 1 Gold Coin In A Day?

That's a great story, "Doves", but I think just finding one in a lifetime is rare, and two in a lifetime, rarer still.  I know of at least two or three folks on this forum who have found a handful over the course of years.   But asking folks if they've found two in a day or two in a hole is, well, kind of like asking folks if they've hit the Power Ball or Mega Millions lottery when you have already done so.   [Edit:  looks like Andy is off the charts on the Mega Millions odds club #imnotworthy :smile:].

I'm thankful to have gotten my coil over the one I found before the next detectorist and have also been "that guy" who walked over the great target or got there second and just missed out on that bucket lister.   I like hearing the back story on how the find was recovered like your tree story and Andy's 3 timer experiences. Amazing!  Good stuff.

But, I guess I personally am not into comparing finds by numbers, counting annual silvers, "paying off detectors" with finds, or treating detecting like a competition with other folks.  To me, detecting is about relaxation not stress and if I look at it as a "competition"  beyond local bragging rights and busting the chops of my detecting buddies, it seems more like forced validation or work and not fun.  But that's just me.  I know a lot of people who like to compare and compete and that's fine.  Not my cup of tea.  It's a natural human tendency to be competitive.

IMO,  detecting  other than daily prospecting or serious water jewelry hunting to pay the bills, is mostly about luck because of the numerous variables NOT under your control (making comparisons meaningless IMO unless everyone is working under the same controlled conditions).   All you can really do is improve your "luck" by finding a good site (doing your homework in researching, finding, and getting permission for a good location is THE number 1 factor IMO) followed by knowing your equipment and how to use it, and finally, ensuring your coil gets over the target by covering as much ground as possible.  That's how you rack up a handful of gold coins or any other bucket list finds you desire.

As Andy said, location is key.  For reference, I found my $1 coin in a field where two had been dug previously in the past few years.

Congrats on your two-gold-coin experience. Quite a lucky day, and hoping everyone here will get to experience the excitement of digging a once in a lifetime find, whether it is platinum, gold, silver or even copper, brass, lead or even iron. 

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, abenson said:

Location, Location, Location and dig everything is the key, at least for me. I've done it 3 times.

1st time 1851 $1 and 1851 $2 1/2 in the same area about 50 yards away from each other both using the Minelab GPX.

2nd time 1854 $1 and 1852 $1 first one with the XP Deus second one with the Minelab GPX found in the same day but actually hiked to a different area about a 1/2 mile away.

3rd time 1853 $1 and 1852 $1 first one was with the Minelab GPX second one with the Minelab Equinox 600. Found same day in the same general area but over the hill from each other.

Who says you can't use a GPX in iron trash?

Abenson :   Your tallies is the stuff of legends .  And to answer your question:  I SAY that the GPX can't be used in iron-trash, haha

Another thing I would add to this thread/conversation, is that I would not include cache finds into this.   Ie.:  It's possible for someone to find a jar or whatever, filled with 50 gold coins at a single sitting.   But for purposes of this question/conversation, it is for individual fumble fingers losses.  Not caches.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Another thing I would add to this thread/conversation, is that I would not include cache finds into this.   Ie.:  It's possible for someone to find a jar or whatever, filled with 50 gold coins at a single sitting.   But for purposes of this question/conversation, it is for individual fumble fingers losses.  Not caches.  

Though... hearing about someone finding a jar filled with gold coins would be awe-inspiring... so please whomever has that experience... start a post so I can live vicariously through you 😄.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

or treating detecting like a competition with other folks.  To me, detecting is about relaxation not stress and if I look at it as a "competition"  beyond local bragging rights and busting the chops of my detecting buddies, it seems more like forced validation or work and not fun.  But that's just me.  I know a lot of people who like to compare and compete and that's fine.  Not my cup of tea.  It's a natural human tendency to be competitive.

My biggest competitor is myself.  I will never beat that guy... but I keep trying.  I do love hearing the stories of the gold coin finds... I hope to join the "club" someday.  Great thread Tom.

• Like 2

Hell, I'd like to find 2 SILVER coins in one day let alone gold. Since I've gotten back into the hobby last year, I have found only 3 silver coins. Would LOVE to find anything gold!

• Like 4

I agree with you   Chase. I go out just for fun an to relax.I like it when my friends  do good and  all of us  can make some finds. I kept records but never really added up my finds. My hunting buddy had all  his    records on the computer so i wanted to see what I had and how  each year changed by  where and    how  I hunted.I got lucky and there were 2 in 1 hole. To get 2 in 2 different  spots in 1 day would be something special.Going  through my records was    like  reliving those times again.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

I agree with you   Chase. I go out just for fun an to relax.I like it when my friends  do good and  all of us  can make some finds. I kept records but never really added up my finds. My hunting buddy had all  his    records on the computer so i wanted to see what I had and how  each year changed by  where and    how  I hunted.I got lucky and there were 2 in 1 hole. To get 2 in 2 different  spots in 1 day would be something special.Going  through my records was    like  reliving those times again.

I wish I was disciplined enough to keep meticulous written records.  I do separate my finds by hunt with brief notes to mark the site and date and use displays or baggies/boxes for storage and usually keep a pictoral/video record of my hunts.

• Like 1

It is a lot of work to do it but it is fun. I use to mark all the different  state quarters  but not anymore. I do mark down the date of my wheaties but my buddy does not.I think when my buddies make a great find that   I am happier then they are and  enjoy  their success.If you had fun metal detecting then you had a good day.I would love to find a gold coin in  the 1800's.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

The expert hunter Mike Moutray while driving around the country and hunting with people who  guided him to good spots in  their area.

Your a better person then me DwD, rarely do I share Good spots even with the guys I sometimes hunt with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Your a better person then me DwD, rarely do I share Good spots even with the guys I sometimes hunt with.

:laugh:.  Joe - you might have to change that stance a little if you still want to change your MO and have that watchteam backup guy to be around to help just in case there is an "unplanned event".  :wink:  Speaking of which, as a DMV resident, if you do ever need a buddy to back you up at spot you don't mind revealing, don't hesitate to PM me.  Always up for a detecting adventure in the area and to learn some tricks of the water hunting trade.  I'm more of a relic and wet sand guy, but don't mind soaking up some rays and scenic bay locales.  I'll bring my water wings.  :smile: 

In any event, very glad you are on the mend and able to tell the tale.  Great lessons to be learned from your experience  and you will undoubtedly save lives with your recommendations.   And of course your legendary status as the Chesapeake Bay gold ring vacuum cleaner remains intact.  If someone wants to start a "how many gold rings have you found in a day" thread, I am sure you would have some tales to tell. :laugh:

• Like 3