Another Day, Another Real

Today I went out to the farm instead of the steamboat landing. It was cold, never got above 35, but the ground here still hasn't frozen. Never really does on average. Ground balanced the Equinox for the first time, it was acting kind of squirrelly today for some reason. 

Highest Id goes to the strange round fitting, it was a 32! Tapered screw threads on the inside, I'm thinking compression fitting of some sort. I think I broke the old dog tag but found all the pieces. I've been pretty lucky not breaking stuff, don't know what happened. The large piece at the top ID'd at 25, the copper nail was a 9 at first but was a 15 out of the ground. Not sure what caliber the bullet is but it looks like a match bullet. One of the longest I've seen.

D buckle is silverplated, found the most fragile buckle yet, dug a thimble, and two buttons, one I think is pewter and the other says "STANDARD COLOUR GILT".  It's an old one with an alpha shank. 

Musket ball, and some tiny bits that ID'd high, the smallest bit was a 22.

Oh yeah, and the small coin on left bottom is a Half Real 😎, second one I've found in this field. It has no identifying marks save for one letter on one side but it's non ferrous and weighs exactly the same and is the same size as the one I dug previously. It has a hole to keep it on a thread or ribbon, or to sew it in clothing. Great day! 

20210217_193417.jpg

• Like 8

The round thing  (top right) is an ox knob. Great job finding the 2 Spanish silvers. Kind of oddly shaped holes in those Reals. If you find any more crudely holed coins, I would start to wonder if you are on an old trading area or someones personal savings on a string, that broke. How close to each other were those silvers found?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

The round thing  (top right) is an ox knob. Great job finding the 2 Spanish silvers. Kind of oddly shaped holes in those Reals. If you find any more crudely holed coins, I would start to wonder if you are on an old trading area or someones personal savings on a string, that broke. How close to each other were those silvers found?

Is an ox knob tapered inside with threads? Cool! I was wondering when I would find one, the D buckle is animal tack, found lots of it.

I put the real I found a couple weeks ago next to the one I found today for comparison. These and the cut Pistareens I found early on searching this field do indicate trade, I've found buried broken kettles with oysters in them, thimbles, and LOTS of tacks.

The coins were found in the same field about 250 yards from each other.

Great pix and play-by-play.  Love the de-brief satellite pix captures ! 

And go figure , ONLY an east coast colonial area md'r can walk out his front door, into the nearest random field, and presto, reales, gilt button, etc....   Sick Sick sick  😒

• Haha 2