Where Would You Go?

Just wondering what metal detecting destination might be on everyone's wish list (Either where you have always wanted to go, or where you would love to go again... or maybe both).  

For coins and relics, my bucket list destination would be England.. exact location to be determined by more research.  I would love to return to Alaska... only this time armed with my detector... I was on business last time and didn't have the opportunity to detect.  

How about yours?

~Tim

• Like 2

I would love to go to either New Zealand or Australia for a hunt that would last 4 months, and then go to Alaska for some gold.

I know I am going to those locations but is it for a much shorter time than I would like. 

• Like 3

I'll try and be realistic (for me -- everyone's opportunities are different).  #1) New England Colonial permission that I missed last year because of SARS-Cov-2.  #2) Western ghost town(s) -- if Monte does his annual group trek this summer, and if I'm welcome...  #3) (the dream trip) Alaska for all the reasons I've always wanted to go, probably not this year, but sometime.

All three of those are multi-week adventures, driving and mostly sleeping in my Jeep Compass (except not sure if that makes sense going to Alaska; might have to fly up and rent a vehicle).

• Like 3

Turkey. I was there in the early 90s while in the Army. The problem with that is that you can't keep anything you find, their laws regarding antiquities are brutal at best. I visited Ephesus, and would love to see Troy now that they found more of it. If conditions ever become more relaxed, it would be the trip of a lifetime. My wife wants to go to England, that may have to do. Mexico would be good too. I've been a few places there, mostly Mayan sites. Detecting didn't occur to me at the time but I do see that some detectorists go there.

Otherwise my front yard will do just fine...

31 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'll try and be realistic (for me -- everyone's opportunities are different).  #1) New England Colonial permission that I missed last year because of SARS-Cov-2.  #2) Western ghost town(s) -- if Monte does his annual group trek this summer, and if I'm welcome...  #3) (the dream trip) Alaska for all the reasons I've always wanted to go, probably not this year, but sometime.

All three of those are multi-week adventures, driving and mostly sleeping in my Jeep Compass (except not sure if that makes sense going to Alaska; might have to fly up and rent a vehicle).

Nice GBA! - I really missed an opportunity when I visited Alaska 2 years ago... I should have planned an extended trip to hunt.  So are you wanting to pan in Alaska?  I have never really prospected, but I really would love to do that, either with my detector, or panning, or both.  I have also looked into the Gerry training... maybe when travel restrictions loosen I will add the Rye Patch to my destination list... you participated in that at one point didn't you?

Tell me more about Monte's trek... I may add that to my "wish list" - provided he welcomes me.  I have had many great conversations with Monte re: my Tesoro units in the past... he has so much knowledge!  Just to breathe the same rarified air would be something.

Old Colonial sites are always intriguing... I will most likely find my way to that area in my "normal" travels as well.

12 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

I would love to go to either New Zealand or Australia for a hunt that would last 4 months, and then go to Alaska for some gold.

I have also wondered about New Zealand, Valens... Maybe after I find my way (if I am lucky enough) to England for a hunt, that will be next on the list!

~Tim.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Turkey. I was there in the early 90s while in the Army. The problem with that is that you can't keep anything you find, their laws regarding antiquities are brutal at best. I visited Ephesus, and would love to see Troy now that they found more of it. If conditions ever become more relaxed, it would be the trip of a lifetime. My wife wants to go to England, that may have to do. Mexico would be good too. I've been a few places there, mostly Mayan sites. Detecting didn't occur to me at the time but I do see that some detectorists go there.

Otherwise my front yard will do just fine...

350P - Well, in Virginia your front yard may be a destination for many! :).  Interesting about Turkey, I wasn't aware of the strict rules there... I agree, that would be an incredible trip!  Thanks for your thoughts!

• Like 1

I'm a realist. I'd settle for getting into some places I asked permission for but they either said NO or did not respond.

• Like 5

When in the AF I went to Thule Greenland in 64 and that’s one place I’d want to go back to. You couldn’t get far from the base because a storm could come up and you couldn’t make it out there if it did. I do know what I’d carried back to the USA in larger quantity would have great value.

Down in a bowl where the base was the winds had got up over 150 mph and gust up to 175 mph. That one time ran for 3 days straight.

So you can see you just can’t throw a backpack on and go . I never seen any Polar Bears on the base but you could find them at trash dump . You’d look like one big steak dinner to them .

That’s just another little problem you have to deal with.

Chuck 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

So are you wanting to pan in Alaska?  I have never really prospected, but I really would love to do that, either with my detector, or panning, or both.

Both.  I carry a gold pan whenever I detect (to put the material removed from the hole -- two reasons:  easy to return soil when finished but also good place to use the handheld if the target comes out while digging -- confine the target to an easily refindable location).  I enjoy panning for gold by itself, but prefer detecting.

I have also looked into the Gerry training... maybe when travel restrictions loosen I will add the Rye Patch to my destination list... you participated in that at one point didn't you?

Yes, and I recommend it for someone who hasn't already learned to find naturally occurring gold with a detector.  Worked for me.  The lecture part is good but the intensive in-field exercises with his crack staff are where I really made progress.  I didn't find gold during the class but stayed two extra days with Majuba Man (member here).  Was able to find a couple dinks.  Best (cheapest) if you buy a detector from Gerry, but in my case I already had my Equinox 800 so I paid full price and it was still worth it, IMO.

Tell me more about Monte's trek...

Here's the post-trek report from last year.  That should give you a flavor for what it's about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome-to-Hunt Outings, simply referred to as a WTHO, have been held since the spring/summer of 2015.  Our last, as the above link reports, was our 12th WTHO.  One was held in Utah, two here in Eastern Oregon, and the remaining 9 have been held in Nevada.

Unless or until we need to cough up some $$$ to gain access to a site, the WTHO's are no charge.  Nothing more than getting yourself to the Outing, taking care of where you'll stay, be it a motel or an RV Park, and what you eat.  They are open to anyone, and we have quite a few people who have made many to most of them.  So far, Oregon Gregg has participated in all 12 of the Outings.

There are 6 or more ghost towns we search and have based most of the Outings out of Wells, Nevada as a 'hub' since it has places to stay, fuel, food, and makes a great opportunity for attendees to get together.  We only held one last year and the Covid issue created some problems or some folks to make the outing.  This year we haven't panned one, yet, because the virus is still being an annoyance.

Also, my health took a down-turn and tomorrow, Friday, makes 10 weeks since I got a bad bite from the bug, and my recuperation and recovery is moving very sluggishly along.  Coupled with that I am trying to sell my place and, if I do, I'll be making a move to central Texas.  I am, however, sending out an e-mail this weekend and making a post on my Forums to see how many would be interested in a WTHO #13 back to Wells.  As you can see from the post, and if you were to red the reports fro all the past WTHO results, you'd see that a lot of great finds are made every Outing.

If we come up with an Outing Date, usually a Wednesday thru Sunday, I am sure OregonGregg would enjoy being the Host in Wells.  On the average, our Outing turnouts have been quite good, with 15 to 25 people participating in each of the dozen Outings we have held so far.  If my house hasn't sold to bring about the move, I'll be making that outing as well.   As I stated, they are free and anyone is welcome.  Bring friends and family, and we do have a few families that make the outings, too.

If you would like some direct information, just drop me an e-mail and indicate you want information about the WTHO's.  You can reach me at:  monte@ahrps.org ... or at ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com

MOnte

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1