The Things We Find On The Beach...

11 hours ago, kac said:

Pure nickel will stick to a magnet also.

10 hours ago, cuniagau said:

Equinox-Beach 1, all metal says -6 to -7.

Aren't some modern Canadian coins made of pure nickel?  What dTID do those indicate (anyone)?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kac said:

Some Canadian coins are also steel so it could be one of those.

I wasn't thinking that since cuniagau's photos show features consistent with an early USA dollar.  I just was wondering what dTID a pure nickel coin would indicate.  -7 to -8 sounds low for that, but since I've never found one I don't know -- making me curious.  (Frankly if you had asked "what dTID do you think this object would read if it is iron or iron alloy?" I would have guessed much higher than -7 or -8.  Shows what I know....)

There aren't many ferromagnetic elements or even alloys, but this certainly gives strong evidence it is made of one!  It's just weird (to me) that someone would make a replica or counterfeit out of iron or iron alloy.  Copper and its alloys are such a reasonable alternative (but it's obviously not that).  By the same argument, pure nickel or some other ferromagnetic metal doesn't make much sense to me, either.  Still a mystery as to its origin and purpose, AFAIC.  We detectorists sure are good at finding these mysterious objects.  :biggrin:

• Like 2

Low grade stainless steel alloys should have low tid's. Might be other countries that use steel. Copper/nickel alloys will ring in higher but think maybe pure nickel would be too tough to strike?