Why I've Found More Ounces Of Au With Sub $1000 Detector, When I Own An Sdc, GPX & GPZ

• The title was changed to Why I've Found More Ounces Of Au With Sub $1000 Detector, When I Own An Sdc, GPX & GPZ

Fantastic write up, Gerry! 100% agreed on everything you write. Also, a reminder for desert operators who mostly look for brutal force and depth that many terrains here require a different approach and equipment, mostly enabled with some sort of discrimination. This is a must have in super trashy old gold mining areas to be productive, and currently no high end gold machine is fitting that need!

PS: A high end gold machine (PI or ZVT) with advanced iron probability meter, kind of a supercharged and more sophisticated version of what the GM has, would make a nice next gen. flagship detector, and worth likely >$12k. Of course, the ultimate (and perhaps pipe dream) would be to discriminate for lead as well. I wonder if this would be possible in my life time.

• Like 2

Good write up Gerry.Those tailing piles are huge and there   has to be more gold since you  are only hunting the top. Do they move around those  piles so you can find more ?Did you do good with the X-terra on those tailings   piles ?Those (Nox and  Xterra) machines sound similar so  those who hunted with the x-   terra were able to   adjust to that machine easily.The multi  Iq stable id gives the Nox the big advantage over the X-terra.If you forgot the Nox but could   choose any other vlf machine     what would be your choice for  this type of hunting ?Also is the Vanquish able to  handle those piles for  people who have that machine or those who have limited funds to spend on a machine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

Your backyard and my backyard are pretty much the same terrain wise.

I think I recognize that. I took a 4500 up one of those slopes towards the top of the hill about 10 years ago and within a couple hours of turning the machine on I started tumbling down a slope and dislocated my shoulder/tore my rotator cuff. Drove home with 1 arm. No gold, just a handful of square nails that were like 10" into shaley bedrock somehow. 

Tried again some years later with a Fors Core, and it broke down within 15 minutes of turning it on, and I had no backup with me stupidly. If I ever go back it's going to be something light and with discrim for sure. 

I was wondering if other people detected those steep slopes at the time, I had only read reports about the place and never had yet to meet or talk to anyone who detected there so I wasn't sure where to look. I thought I was being pioneering climbing up there. Nope, ya'll had me beat by a long time. :laugh:

• Like 4

Out of the last 10,000 pieces of gold Ive dug, maybe 8,000 have been with a VLF. Lions share with the Gold Bug 2, then various Whites Gold masters including the 24K (which I absolutely love). Oh, and maybe 20 with the GM1000. Seriously thinking about a Nox 800 now and retiring my old T2 after seeing Gerry's post LOL

• Like 4

Gerry,

Thanks for sharing the information on the detectors as I am now more excited about the 800 finding gold.

I hope to soon be able to get with you and take a few classes on nugget finding when I get back home.

Thanks for sharing the photos and giving such a great write up about the different detectors.

Without people like you and Steve H. where would somebody get good information from.

• Thanks 1