Why I've Found More Ounces Of Au With Sub $1000 Detector, When I Own An Sdc, GPX & GPZ

Wow Gerry ! WTG !

Again with a mouthful ! (I'm guessing that is your signature pose now....)

I'm thinkin' you couldn't get that pounder in there ?....You're gonna need a bigger mouth !

Thx for the pics and encouragement to us that are slumming with an 800 !  OH , AYUH !

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2021 at 2:46 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Trash - Trash is my treasure in a way.. as I know the site has not been hunted as hard.  Trash is what most detectorists hate, and I too get that way on occasion, but I know if I'm patient, I'll eventually be rewarded.

A gem in a post loaded with them.  Glad (and thankful) you're spending so much time sharing your experience and knowledge with us, Gerry.

Knowledge is a misunderstood commodity, IMO.  How often do you hear people say things like "of course I knew that" or "everybody knows that" or even "only an idiot doesn't know that?"  Reality is, having read, heard, or thought about something  is a hollow accomplishment.  Experiencing it is much more like it, but even then does one really know it?

This isn't the first time (probably not even the second time) I've been given this piece of advice.  But although I took it to heart the previous instance, I didn't really learn it because I've missed chances to cash in on the idea more than once since then.  (And prior to that I missed some opportunities in both Arizona and Nevada.)

Withiin driving distance of me is a well-known gold producing creek.  There are lots of panners, sluicers, and even dredgers who go there but AFAIK only one detectorist.  😉  I've taken three different detectors (two IB/VLF and one PI) but every time I became frustrated with all the trash and gave up after maybe an hour.  You've given me incentive to go back and try some things I've learned since that last time I was there, take a few tools I've been too lazy to drag along, but mostly to persevere.  At worst it's good practice for next time I head west.  And I have a few tricks up my sleeve to experiment with there, too, thanks to good advice here at detectorprospector.com.

Oh, and the person who previously advised me to pay special attention to trashy gold-bearing locations?  You might have heard of him -- Steve Herschbach.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Wow Gerry ! WTG !

Again with a mouthful ! (I'm guessing that is your signature pose now....)

I'm thinkin' you couldn't get that pounder in there ?....You're gonna need a bigger mouth !

Thx for the pics and encouragement to us that are slumming with an 800 !  OH , AYUH !

You are in luck gold is measured in Troy weight. ie. 12 heavy oz instead of 16 light oz so don't use the kitchen scales for your pounder. About 81 grams lighter.😁

The troy ounce is heavier than the avoirdupois ounce, yet the troy pound is lighter than the avoirdupois pound.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/19/2021 at 3:17 PM, Dances With Doves said:

Do they move around those  piles so you can find more ?Did you do good with the X-terra on those tailings   piles ?Those (Nox and  Xterra) machines sound similar so  those who hunted with the x-   terra were able to   adjust to that machine easily.The multi  Iq stable id gives the Nox the big advantage over the X-terra.If you forgot the Nox but could   choose any other vlf machine     what would be your choice for  this type of hunting ?Also is the Vanquish able to  handle those piles for  people who have that machine or those who have limited funds to spend on a machine.

Some areas the tailing do get pushed around and can be detected again.  The same thing happens in NV and AZ in areas without tailing, as they are clearing away the layer of ground already detected and then hunting the new layer, then push..detect, then push detect.

Yes I have found plenty of gold with an X-Terra 70 and the newer model 705 (be sure to use the 18.75 kHz coils).

If I forgot my NOX-800 and someone said what is the next best detector for the same tailing piles.  I'd use the Gold Monster 1000 (newer version), X-705, White's 24K, White's MXT, Garrett AT Gold, and lastly the Gold Bug-2.

The Vanquish has no Prospecting Mode, No adjustable Ground Balance.  Heck I might even use an Equinox 600 before I used a Vanquish.  Not beating on the Vanquish, but I have other detectors I know can do the task.

Can any detector find a big nugget?  Most certainly and we have found them with Coin Machines just to prove a point and win a steak dinner.  But, it would not be a detector I would sell or recommend to those that want to chase gold..

• Like 7

Thanks  Gerry.I wish they kept  making the x-terra because it is a fine machine.Offer it with the coil they use for the Nox  in 7.5 kz. and with the light 5by 10 18kz.dd coil for a combo price of $499.If their nice  put it in the a Nox   control box and add a few bells and whistles.It would be a economic prospecting unit that could also hunt for  coins nicely with the new 11''  coil it would now come with.

those are some beautiful pieces, it's still a dream for me to find some specimens like those.  for now i just look at other peoples pics to keep me motivated until i find some.

• Like 1