Detecting On A Windy Day

Skookum

Detecting on a windy day?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about detecting on a rather windy day?

• It’s great to be outdoors detecting; no matter at all.
    • It can make detecting a little more challenging, but still worth it.
    • I’d rather not waste my time. The gust noise drowns out the faint signals.

The last couple of times I’ve been detecting gusts of wind were up to about 20 mph. Today is forecast for gusts up to 30-40 mph. How does it affect your approach... or attitude?

46 minutes ago, Skookum said:

he last couple of times I’ve been detecting gusts of wind were up to about 20 mph. Today is forecast for gusts up to 30-40 mph. How does it affect your approach... or attitude?

I always hunt with headphones, so with strong wind I just switch to my noise cancelling Bose earbuds. Otherwise nothing changes much. You definitely want to keep listening to those faint threshold variations. That won't be possible with speakers in these conditions.

• Like 2

I don't like the wind but it's rarely enough to make me stop detecting.

There was once in the Dale where I honest-to-god got knocked flat by the wind as I

topped a ridge. That is my one exception.

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Today it's 35, with wind around 20 with gusts to 30. May go to a sheltered area to poke around a bit. Pretty brutal, but I've done it before. My headphones can be turned up loud. Here we have a lot of military aircraft flying around, from A-10s to Ospreys to F-15s. They are so loud I usually have to wait for them to go away. I wavered on #2 for a while but decided on #3.

Edit: Yeah, went out today, and could only stand a couple hours even in the sheltered area, because the wind was blowing up in there. 😧 Tomorrow will be 37 with a light south wind, may go out in the field, and then hit the river late afternoon at low tide. Next week in the 50's!

• Like 2

Where I live, the worst result of wind is the wind chill factor on cold(ish) days.  I don't mind detecting (thawed ground) when the air temp approaches freezing, even on cloudy days which are typical in the Midwest, Great Lakes States, etc.  But when the wind picks up to steady 10 mph and higher I need considerably warmer air.  Also, I have one site that is more sheltered because of the terrain so that helps.

My Sunray Pro Gold headphones block out noise (wind, vehicles, people) quite well and I wear those except in hot weather when I switch to earbuds and just put up with the din.

• Like 2

Like the above post, I just wear phones and soldier on.  One area Reese T put me on near the top of Continental Divide in MT. is full of dead lodgepole pine, both standing and blowdown everywhere.  That area is a PITA to hunt because of all the blowdown and the wind blows a lot there. That area is the only time I've cut a hunt short because of wind and went back to the safety of the camper trailer parked in the valley in a huge gravel pit.  The area is 200mi from home, I'm alone, and nobody knows I'm there and the fear of a blowdown hitting you is very high when the wind blows, and it seems to always blow.  The one area where you'd better have a chainsaw with you at all times just to be able to get up or off the mtn should a blowdown be acrossed the road/trail.....and not on your head(dead).....

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

2 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

I always hunt with headphones, so with strong wind I just switch to my noise cancelling Bose earbuds.

That’s an interesting thought. Do you have any experience with comparing the noise canceling buds to stock the over the ear cans?  I’ve found the fit on the stock GPZ and SDC leave a lot to desire. They blunt the wind noise, but not enough for my liking. 

1 hour ago, flakmagnet said:

There was once in the Dale where I honest-to-god got knocked flat by the wind as I topped a ridge.

That’s what I’m picturing with potential 40 mph gusts. 😂

1 minute ago, Skookum said:

That’s an interesting thought. Do you have any experience with comparing the noise canceling buds to stock the over the ear cans?  I’ve found the fit on the stock GPZ and SDC leave a lot to desire. They blunt the wind noise, but not enough for my liking. 

I am not thrilled with the ML headphones and mostly use the Grey Ghost, or Bose if needed. But this is a matter of personal preference. The Grey Ghost have a volume control which is great when used in combination with the SP01 booster. I set the SP01 to a bit higher level and then fine regulate with the volume control of the headset.