2 Phoenix Buttons

Our discussions the other day must have motivated you to get out there! Nice finds. I'll let you know when I heading that way and we can get together. Been meaning to email you but the past few days have been really busy.

That is a great piece of history you  found,as good as any common seated coin you will find if not better.But then you and Cal seem to find those s mint coins that are awesome to find.Is the ground to   hot to bring your deus because of all the wet ground you probably have which would make some of the salty ground to hot?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

....Is the ground to   hot to bring your deus because of all the wet ground you probably have which would make some of the salty ground to hot?

Hey there Dances :  I got the Deus just for ghost-townsy iron-ridden sites.  Ie.: a specialty machine.  For all other sites (like this that is not that badly iron-ridden), I am intending to keep using my Exp. II.   I know some guys use their Deus for ALL their hunting.   But so far .... I'm not there yet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Hey there Dances :  I got the Deus just for ghost-townsy iron-ridden sites.  Ie.: a specialty machine.  For all other sites (like this that is not that badly iron-ridden), I am intending to keep using my Exp. II.   I know some guys use their Deus for ALL their hunting.   But so far .... I'm not there yet.

I am curious,When you had your Nox did you use 50 tones? My buddy clad hopper used his Explorer 2 for a long time and he made the switch to the Nox.It took him a while to  learn the  language but he finally got it.He would go back to the explorer  when the  nox frustrated him  but after a while he never went back.He has around 2000 silver and he  missed the first 3 years of the explorer party   since he got his in may 2003.

14 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

I am curious,When you had your Nox did you use 50 tones? My buddy clad hopper used his Explorer 2 for a long time and he made the switch to the Nox.It took him a while to  learn the  language but he finally got it.He would go back to the explorer  when the  nox frustrated him  but after a while he never went back.He has around 2000 silver and he  missed the first 3 years of the explorer party   since he got his in may 2003.

Dances:  It's been so long now, since my short trial with the Nox (I got a very early release, d/t we'd been on the waiting list, since the very beginning ).   But at the time I tried it, there was ALREADY beginning to be inputs from well-known well-respected voices . Ie.: I could avail myself of pro/con discussion even at that time.   So ... yes ... I would have tried all the tricks.  Which I assume would also have been the "50 tones".  The full tones would have been only natural, since that's the way I've used my explorer, after all.

About the ONLY control I didn't spend too long with trying, was the recovery speed.  I had opted for a tad-higher recovery speed (since I run my Explorer on "fast", and it doesn't have a depth compromise on the Explorer).  So I had assumed I wasn't sacrificing depth on the Nox, so-long-as I listened carefully for faster "beeps".   But I learned later on, that the Nox isn't that way.  There IS INDEED a depth loss when going faster recovery.   And a depth BENEFIT (albeit with the drawbacks) when going to slower speeds.   

So for my "balls to the walls" depth and TID needs of turf hunting (where cherry picking and depth is the order of the day), then the Nox disappointed me.   But that might have been because I didn't opt for slower recovery speeds.  Which could have improved depth and TID (with the inherent drawback of less separation though).   I have since hunted with experienced Nox users, and ... no .... they can't trump my Explorer in the turf.    Yes they excel better in iron-ridden conditions, but not in turf, IMHO .

20 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

.... I would like to see you and Raphis get together for a hunt.

Yes, he is a legend for deep-turf cherry picking.  And is currently swearing by the Nox (over his prior SE pro).  HOWEVER:  He runs around hunting with an Etrac user (which is commensurate with an Exp. II).  And they keep even with each other's tallies.  They can each equally hear and "call" each other's flagged targets.  Hence, no, the Nox is not beating an Explorer in turf.  

But yes, I'd love to duel with Raphis sometime again.   Because EVERY COTTON PICKING TIME I say I spanked a Nox user up here in the turf, then a Nox-faithful is always quick to rationalize :  "They must not be experienced enough" blah blah.  But if Raphis (who is an acknowledge deep-turf-pro) were to come up short, then this would finally, once-for-all end that debate.   Because no one can dispute his prowess.  

Unfortunately, he's in Southern CA, and I'm ~5 hr. north of him.  

• Like 1