Has Anyone Tried A Gold Racer At The Beach?

Curious if it handles the salt at all being such a high frequency.

Yes, dry sand, no problem, pretty good depth too! 

Wet sand, have to manually GB towards zero, then works well. Disc 1 is the go. 

If you want to submerge the coil under water, the small GR19 7" elliptical is the best. Personally I wouldn't take it anywhere near the water due to the control box not being waterproof. 

• Like 3

I did take my former Gold Kruzer to a salt water beach (by accident since it was the only waterproof VLF I had with me at the time) and as Nenad said, it also did just fine after I got the ground balance manually lowered to near zero and I used the Micro mode with 9x5 DD coil. I had a similar experience with a Fisher F19, running at 19 kHz and with its 10X5 DD coil. After I got the ground balance worked out it was fine in dry sand and damp sand. It went pretty bonkers in salt water however. Great machines for micro jewelry........

Your Multi Kruzer should do really well at a salt water beach too. I doubt you would miss any micro jewelry targets running at 19 kHz.

• Like 3

Been using the Multi Kruzer at the beach seeing that everything here still has a foot of snow still. I tried 19khz and in the wet it is a bit noisier. I ended up using 5khz which is plenty deep in beach mode with tracking on and isat on 3 and gain at 90-95. This seems to be the easiest and smoothest setting on that machine in the salt. Manually ground balancing the Multi Kruzer is tedius and because of so much erosion the ground changes quite a bit here even in the wet.

I was thinking towel lines and dry sand hunting with the Gold Racer for small jewelry, don't think that sort of hunting I would need any great depth.

Thanks for the help!

• Like 2

Gave the Gold Racer with stock dd coil a run at the beach, mostly damp sand and dry sand. You guys were spot on about manual ground balance. In the wet sand it was hard to follow targets. Dry and damp sand and general towel line hunting it is really nice. Super sensitive to small bits of cans the sea leaves behind but still able to sniff out this 2 gram 14k charm. Good machine for towel line small jewelry hunting. Thanks.

63589208090__7729B79B-ADE5-42E1-A300-852376DB2D8C.JPG

• Like 4

Ya we got a warm spell now. Spoiled last year we had almost no snow and was digging all year. That charm is only 2g, pretty thin and was mid 40's on TID. Most foil and bits of cans fall in that same range so easy one to miss.

Nice find  Rick.You need certain machines to hit  those types of  targets well.The Nox in it's multi or 40 kz.  gold modes would also eat that target for  lunch.The GMX with it's 6'' coil would also clobber that target.My At gold would hit it nice but not as good as  those other machines in it's all metal mode. 

That's a keeper!!! Great find, Hope it didn't burn your fingers when you picked it up 🤣😂   Still waiting on the snow shovels, Might be august before I can post a find.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By phrunt
      The 24k was relatively short lived by comparison of other US made detectors that seem to hang about on the market for 10 to 25 years, being a US detector it was a bit difficult for me to ever get my hands on one and I guess I was just too slow at making the move on one.  So I'm considering an alternative.  I like my Gold Monster but it is a bit simplified and I prefer more options so I just use it as a pinpointer, at the moment my primary prospecting VLF is the Equinox, I rarely use anything else.  I have a Gold Bug 2 but find it a bit primitive especially with features and I'd prefer a detector with Target ID's and the tiny gold improvement over the Nox I find is very minimal, the Nox has a great range of features and does a pretty good job but I'm wondering If I'd get a bit more out of a dedicated prospecting VLF with a higher frequency.  Am I losing much not using a 24k and sticking with my Equinox?
      The Nokta Gold Kruzer seems a viable choice, it's extremely cheap and sitting in stock at my local dealer, it has Nel coil support which I absolutely think is a major bonus, the Nel snake coil is made for it, and to me this seems the ultimate prospecting coil. I have it for my Fisher Gold Bug Pro but that detector just doesn't cut it for depth on small gold for me as I live in a place with a majority of the gold being very small.   I need a the best VLF for hot rocks possible.
      Why is it that Nokta detectors just aren't as popular, they seem to make a great range.  The Gold Kruzer and Gold Racer are what people have wanted in VLF prospecting detectors, aftermarket coil support, features dripping off them, quality builds and water proof and so on yet you don't see them as detectors people are using.  Why is this?  Steve H had a Gold Kruzer, Gold Monster etc, etc.... yet ended up settling on the 24k instead.  Is the 24k that much better than the Nokta?  What made the 24k the keeper and the Nokta the one to go.
      Would I be better off waiting to see what Garrett come out with, with any luck Nel will make coils for Garrett's version of a 24k.
      I've never owned a Notka, I am a bit puzzled why they make such feature packed and on paper great looking detectors yet people aren't using them. 
    • By kac
      Figured I would post my base settings for anyone that cares. Good stable starting point for the Multi Kruzer and Kruzer. Probably work find on Amphibio series too.
      First off the filtered modes work best with gain no higher than 89 so I use that as a baseline. I also use normalized scaling on the Multi so any tone breaks are the same when changing frequencies. Most of the hunting is done in 3 tone, 2 tone works fine for general relic hunting, Gen is nice in lower trash areas and checking on size of faint targets. 4 tone I use in heavy trash where notch audio keeps much of the noise minimal and any loud targets I investigate. This saves me from constantly screen checking as I can just slow sweep over an area and pick out much of the good stuff ie, gold chains, average gold rings, all USA coins including trimes, half dimes, eagle nickels etc etc. Beach I found the notch audio better so I can tell iron from non iron easier where the stock setting the targets would be choppy in many cases. Last is the Deep Mode which is ok for checking for deep or fringe targets but still tough to follow so I don't generally hunt in that mode. Keeping the iSat on 0 (except Gen Mode) and gains within a reasonable range you can use tracking on ground that varies a lot. If anyone has some better setting be nice to see them.
      Gen Mode:
      Gain 89
      Tone 33
      Threshlold 40
      iSat 6

2 Tone:
      Gain 79
      Disc 0
      Fe Vol 1
      Tone Break 12
      Tone 15/40
      iSat 0

3 Tone:
      Gain 89
      Disc 0
      Fe vol 2
      Tone Break 18/66
      Tone 15/32/64
      iSat 0

4 Tone:
      Gain 79
      Disc 0
      Notch breaks: 0-18, 25-27, 33-37, 45-63, 71-75, 81-85, 93-99
      Fe Vol n1
      Tone Breaks 15/30/66
      Tone 15/33/45/64
      iSat 0

Beach:
      Gain 89
      Disc 2
      Notch 3-15
      Fe Vol n2
      Tone 15/30
      iSat 0

Deep:
      Gain 89
      Disc 4
      Notch 5-18
      Fe Vol n1
      Tone Break 10
      Tone 15/45

• By kac
      The rubber boot cover for the trigger on my Gold Racer fell off somewhere. Are they sold separately?

• By Jeff McClendon
      A "new", easier to operate, gold probability scale 61 kHz nugget prospecting detector using the Anfibio platform from Nokta Makro. I did not see this coming......
      https://www.noktadetectors.com/metal-detector/gold-finder-2000/

• By Tahoegold
      So, I really like the Makro Gold Racer. I keep finding more things about it. Recently, I found a really tiny 14k gold chain visually, just lying on the ground.  I had my compadre and it couldnt pick it up. I took the chain home and tried it on my GR. I had the factory settings, 10 on disc, using Disc 2 the deeper one, and tone break at 30. Nothing, I couldn't get it to detect it.
      So, while I was waving this chain in front of the 10" DD coil I started lowering the disc, I realized the ID number was about 3. So, I experimented with going one number at a time all the way to 0. At 1 I could get a somewhat clear signal. At zero it was a nice signal. Even the big coil coild pick it up at about an inch.
      I have been trying to find micro jewelery with no luck. Maybe this is why. I have not used the disc mode in all metal. You see, I really like the clear signal the disc modes give. I have a hard time "reading" the all metal mode. I can really hear the signals in the disc modes. Why is the all metal mode so hard to understand? So very faint target sounds compared to the really obvious ones in disc.
      So, am I searching in all metal when disc is at 0? It sure seems as deep and sensitive as all metal. I get much more audible info than all metal in my opinion. However, I have to state here, I'm not an expert. I know the all metal has a way of indicating a target with thresh hold sounds too, or, the silence of the thresh hold sometimes on tiny targets. But, it's not as easy as this method. I really could hear this tiny chain this way.
      Can I hunt just as effectively like this or should I keep trying to learn the all metal mode? What's your opinions? And, please, lets keep this discussion to the Gold racer and those who have one. 
      I'm actually really glad to have discovered this. I'm fortunate to have this chain to test.

• By Rick N. MI
      The ground is mild. 
      I buried a 14k gold ring 3.77 grams at 15", 14" then 13".
      Equinox 800 w/ 11" coil got a nice hit at 14" with coil raised 2". Neither would hit it at 15". Used multi tone Park 2 & Gold 1. Equinox would hit the ring in the single frequencies also. 40 khz was nice. Settings. sensitivity 24, 2 tone, recovery 4, iron bias f2 0.
      Anfibio Multi w/ Mars Discovery 13" would hit the ring at 13". 14" no hit. Setting, 20 khz, Sensitivity 92, Deep mode, 4 tone and 2 tone. Disc 6, tone break 0, isat 0.
      Anfibio w/ Nel Superfly 11x12 would barely hit the 13" ring. 14" no hit.
      I was surprised the Anfibio didn't go as deep as the Equinox on the gold ring.
      So with my test the Equinox is the best gold jewelry hunter over the Anfibio for my lakes by 1"+. Not a great difference.
      I will be hunting this summer in the lakes with the Equinox and the Anfibio will be my backup.
      I would like to know how the Tarsacci would do in this test with both coils. Would it be able to hit a gold ring similar size as the one I used in mild sand at 14"? I hope someone does this test and lets me know.
      A gold ring at 14" in a sandy beach is a tough test for any detector. For the Equinox to pass this test is impressive.
      Rick