Does anyone on here know how to navigate the new BLM MLRS claims database, and how to navigate and utilize the features on the map program? It is supposed to be alot easier than LR2000 which is gone now. Perhaps a video on here would be good for everyone. It is still confusing.

It's pretty basic, mostly enable or disable whatever layers or imagery you want, zoom to an area of interest, click on the information icon, and then click on the map and it will pull up a case window showing all the closed and open claims plus other info. There is also an LR2000 type database search page (it's hard to find) which searches the MLRS database.

You can enable or disable different layers such as active, closed mining claims, PLSS, SMA, etc. The problem is that even when you disable a layer, it still brings up every single layer in the Case window so you have to scroll through endless junk to find the claim of interest.

Also, once you get to a claim of interest, you can't click on it and get more data such as filings, names, etc. You still have to search the MLRS database by hand to get the full report, which makes it no better than LR2000 if that's the case.

They need to look at Land Matters and design the interface similarly such that you can click on a claim and pull the report that you would otherwise have to access through the MLRS or LR2000 database, otherwise it's just a toy IMO.

• Like 3

The blm made it sound like it was a big improvement over lr2000. So far I am not impressed. It really lacks features that could be beneficial for sure.

• Like 1

I'm fairly impressed overall with the mapping interface, it just needs improvement. It's running much smoother now than it was when they first started talking about it. It's quicker than Geocommunicator was. It's also a standard GIS server frontend so it seems like they can easily improve, change, and add features, whereas Geocommunicator was pretty rigid.

If they solve the two issues I mentioned, then the mapping interface will be worth using. Right now I just skip it and use the MLRS database instead. I used to have some people's emails in the BLM who worked on such things but it's been so long that I doubt they are there anymore, otherwise I'd give them a bit of improvement advice. :smile:

Also, I don't know if anyone noticed, but you can now file a claim instantly and entirely online. Subject to a human approval process later, but it still goes through right when you file it online near as I can tell. That's a huge improvement in my book though I haven't gone through the whole process yet.

If you are looking for a spot to do and the GIS data bank has records of mine/claim before 1950 load it in by it self in the area that you are interested in. My belief is in those days a lot of them had to be worked by hand and not loads full of speculation claims these days.

5 hours ago, jasong said:

They need to look at Land Matters and design the interface similarly such that you can click on a claim and pull the report that you would otherwise have to access through the MLRS or LR2000 database, otherwise it's just a toy IMO.

I'm pretty sure that was their intent. The MLRS map originally worked that way, sort of, for a little while on the first day it was live. The same information window you see now would pop up but there were links for each claim's serial register page in the map information window. That only lasted about 2-3 hours before the system locked up. When they brought the mapping back several hours later the links were gone and haven't come back since. Hopefully they will eventually bring back a working system. It's not much of an improvement to have a map if you have to switch over to search the database on a different webpage.

• Like 1

I totally agree with you Clay. The blm lady, though she is very helpful and willing to share her knowledge on this stuff made it sound like a milestone in userablility. It's not. I get better visual identification from land matters than this. Our claim is the first claim that got input into this new system for Montana at end of January or first part of February. I want to be able to see what claims are around our claim.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By GotAU?
      I’ve been curious about using the Bureau of Land Management’s MLRS site   https://mlrs.blm.gov/s/   to figure out where to go detect on open lands in heavily claimed areas, and I’ve noticed that it does show some “active claims” on the maps highlighted with red crosshatching, but it doesn’t show “active claims” in other areas at all. It’s strange because the map key includes a code for active load and active placer claims, in addition to closed ones. I’ve heard that it’s because BLM hasn’t caught up on the records yet, but does anyone know why otherwise? I hope it becomes available because that would be a wonderful feature instead of having to get records from their offices. 
    • By Tiftaaft
      Just wondering what metal detecting destination might be on everyone's wish list (Either where you have always wanted to go, or where you would love to go again... or maybe both).  
      For coins and relics, my bucket list destination would be England.. exact location to be determined by more research.  I would love to return to Alaska... only this time armed with my detector... I was on business last time and didn't have the opportunity to detect.  
      How about yours?
      ~Tim
    • By Joe D.
      Hello all,
         I recently saw someone state that they didn't fully understand why they sometimes get the urge to buy a certain detector! And for one reason or another, fail to pull the trigger, or asking the question of why not!
         I, like many here, have questioned why i would want to purchase; and have purchased, what would "technically" be an "inferior" detector! If there is such a thing; they all find stuff!!
         I think the reason's are as numerous as one can imagine! So i won't bore everyone with what i think their reasons are! I can only speak for myself!
         Probably my number one driving factor are places like this forum, and other sources for research! Once you really start to get the "bug" for detecting, you begin to understand that it can go beyond just finding treasures! In fact, my reading, and quest for information, far exceeds my actual detecting hours! Of course, there are also "real life" reasons that prevent me from getting out there as often as i would like! But instead of that being a negative; and me being bitter about it! I funnel that energy into trying to soak up more knowledge to make my actual detecting hours more productive! Many here will understand this!
         So, for those thay are unclear what that has to do with buying older, or less advanced detectors, i will explain!
         Like many, i detected a few years when i was young! Stopped for a career, and family; among other reasons! And got back to it, a few years before my retirement five years ago! Not being involved for all those years, i went with a new detector; among others i researched at the time!
         Now fast forward to today! I'm much more knowledgeable than seven years ago; detecting and theory wise, but have barely scratched the surface! I own several detectors for various functions! Some overlapping each other a bit in operation! A few others are just for fun, or for something i feel i missed, in my absent years! Other's were too good a deal to pass up! And I could get a good return for, if i chose to!
         So, to summarize! In my opinion, the longer your in it, the wider range of technology, legends, varations, etc... you are likely to buy, and try, for no very practical reason! Cost not withstanding; as you advance in this hobby! Or as some jokingly refer to it as a "sickness ", or "obsession "! 🤩 👍👍
    • By chuckwalla
      I've been considering the idea of buying a patented claim, but I'm curious what property rights you have with such a claim: is is essentially indistinguishable from private property at that point? Am I allowed to put a fence around the claim and post 'no trespassing' signs? What about obtaining permits to build structures - is it done through the city/county just like with normal property?
    • By mn90403
      https://ucla.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEqduyupj0vGd3S0_52FsbHTbPjYr0sZQUj

Meeting Registration
       Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn  Microsoft (Outlook)   Topic UCLA Meteorite Gallery Lecture Series Description Title: Clocks in Rocks: How to date a solar system

Lecturer: Dr. Sara Russell; Natural History Museum, London

Our solar system was born over four and a half billion years ago, from a cloud of dust and gas called the protoplanetary disk. Examples of the first solids to be formed - calcium-aluminium-rich inclusions (CAIs) and chondrules -have survived in some meteorite samples to learn about these ancient times. In particular, we can determine how old these components are using lead isotopes, which places constraints on the formation time of our Sun and planets. Finer details can be provided by the isotope 26Al, which is a natural clock because it is radioactive and its abundance declines by half every 3/4 of a million years. By looking at how much of this isotope was present in each object when it formed we can therefore tell how old it is. However, this chronometer depends on knowing how much 26Al originally existed in the disk and how it was distributed. If we can work these details out, then we can use these data to determine the length of time it took to make CAIs and chondrules, and from this we can work out how long the dusty disk took to start to form planets. Time Jan 17, 2021 02:30 PM
      Feb 21, 2021 02:30 PM
      Mar 21, 2021 02:30 PM
      Apr 18, 2021 02:30 PM
      May 16, 2021 02:30 PM
      Jun 20, 2021 02:30 PM Time shows in Pacific Time (US and Canada)      
    • By Dances With Doves
      I know they exist because i I found a 1.3 grain piece south of buffalo panning. I heard of a 1.6 gram piece found with  dredge in the Finger lakes region.I talked to a  geologist in  Buffalo who was sifting glacier material in a certain  spot and found a nugget big enough to have in his wallet.He  did not have it with him  at the  time because he was just walking his dog.I did find a .5 grain piece with my AT gold checking all the material that was  around  my pan from all the cracks we had cleaned.I would have not got it if i did not have my machine since  there was to much sand blocking it from view.I guess  that could be counted a tailing pilings piece since I was competing with a buddy in all those cracks.