How To Navigate The New Mlrs

Does anyone on here know how to navigate the new BLM MLRS claims database, and how to navigate and utilize the features on the map program? It is supposed to be alot easier than LR2000 which is gone now. Perhaps a video on here would be good for everyone. It is still confusing.

It's pretty basic, mostly enable or disable whatever layers or imagery you want, zoom to an area of interest, click on the information icon, and then click on the map and it will pull up a case window showing all the closed and open claims plus other info. There is also an LR2000 type database search page (it's hard to find) which searches the MLRS database.

You can enable or disable different layers such as active, closed mining claims, PLSS, SMA, etc. The problem is that even when you disable a layer, it still brings up every single layer in the Case window so you have to scroll through endless junk to find the claim of interest.

Also, once you get to a claim of interest, you can't click on it and get more data such as filings, names, etc. You still have to search the MLRS database by hand to get the full report, which makes it no better than LR2000 if that's the case.

They need to look at Land Matters and design the interface similarly such that you can click on a claim and pull the report that you would otherwise have to access through the MLRS or LR2000 database, otherwise it's just a toy IMO.

• Like 4

The blm made it sound like it was a big improvement over lr2000. So far I am not impressed. It really lacks features that could be beneficial for sure.

• Like 1

I'm fairly impressed overall with the mapping interface, it just needs improvement. It's running much smoother now than it was when they first started talking about it. It's quicker than Geocommunicator was. It's also a standard GIS server frontend so it seems like they can easily improve, change, and add features, whereas Geocommunicator was pretty rigid.

If they solve the two issues I mentioned, then the mapping interface will be worth using. Right now I just skip it and use the MLRS database instead. I used to have some people's emails in the BLM who worked on such things but it's been so long that I doubt they are there anymore, otherwise I'd give them a bit of improvement advice. :smile:

Also, I don't know if anyone noticed, but you can now file a claim instantly and entirely online. Subject to a human approval process later, but it still goes through right when you file it online near as I can tell. That's a huge improvement in my book though I haven't gone through the whole process yet.

If you are looking for a spot to do and the GIS data bank has records of mine/claim before 1950 load it in by it self in the area that you are interested in. My belief is in those days a lot of them had to be worked by hand and not loads full of speculation claims these days.

5 hours ago, jasong said:

They need to look at Land Matters and design the interface similarly such that you can click on a claim and pull the report that you would otherwise have to access through the MLRS or LR2000 database, otherwise it's just a toy IMO.

I'm pretty sure that was their intent. The MLRS map originally worked that way, sort of, for a little while on the first day it was live. The same information window you see now would pop up but there were links for each claim's serial register page in the map information window. That only lasted about 2-3 hours before the system locked up. When they brought the mapping back several hours later the links were gone and haven't come back since. Hopefully they will eventually bring back a working system. It's not much of an improvement to have a map if you have to switch over to search the database on a different webpage.

• Like 3

I totally agree with you Clay. The blm lady, though she is very helpful and willing to share her knowledge on this stuff made it sound like a milestone in userablility. It's not. I get better visual identification from land matters than this. Our claim is the first claim that got input into this new system for Montana at end of January or first part of February. I want to be able to see what claims are around our claim.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am not impressed with the BLM MLRS at all. The maps don't work properly. Also, I sent in a Quitclaim Deed for a transfer of interest in ownership on a claim on Feb.3, 2021. The new owner's name was added to the claim, but the sellers name is still there. I can't use the MLRS to correct this and the BLM says be patient, we will fix it. They haven't yet.

• Oh my! 1

I feel your pain.  I sent in my small miners waiver and annual assessment last August, and still waiting for the update.   At least they did note on one line that monies were received.  Hopefully as long as your county filing is recorded, whats showing on  BLM's screen doesnt really matter.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just played around with MLRS again. The search box now basically takes the place of those insanely complex, clunky, and slow LR2000 search forms. Like, just type a name or claim number straight in and it pulls it up right away. You can search by T/R/S too but the section part is buggy still. Problem is that it only indexes filings new enough to be on the MLRS and not older LR2000 data.

Anyways, still sooo much quicker, and going to be useful in the future as more gets filed on MLRS.

• Like 1