Does anyone on here know how to navigate the new BLM MLRS claims database, and how to navigate and utilize the features on the map program? It is supposed to be alot easier than LR2000 which is gone now. Perhaps a video on here would be good for everyone. It is still confusing.

It's pretty basic, mostly enable or disable whatever layers or imagery you want, zoom to an area of interest, click on the information icon, and then click on the map and it will pull up a case window showing all the closed and open claims plus other info. There is also an LR2000 type database search page (it's hard to find) which searches the MLRS database.

You can enable or disable different layers such as active, closed mining claims, PLSS, SMA, etc. The problem is that even when you disable a layer, it still brings up every single layer in the Case window so you have to scroll through endless junk to find the claim of interest.

Also, once you get to a claim of interest, you can't click on it and get more data such as filings, names, etc. You still have to search the MLRS database by hand to get the full report, which makes it no better than LR2000 if that's the case.

They need to look at Land Matters and design the interface similarly such that you can click on a claim and pull the report that you would otherwise have to access through the MLRS or LR2000 database, otherwise it's just a toy IMO.

• Like 4

The blm made it sound like it was a big improvement over lr2000. So far I am not impressed. It really lacks features that could be beneficial for sure.

• Like 1

I'm fairly impressed overall with the mapping interface, it just needs improvement. It's running much smoother now than it was when they first started talking about it. It's quicker than Geocommunicator was. It's also a standard GIS server frontend so it seems like they can easily improve, change, and add features, whereas Geocommunicator was pretty rigid.

If they solve the two issues I mentioned, then the mapping interface will be worth using. Right now I just skip it and use the MLRS database instead. I used to have some people's emails in the BLM who worked on such things but it's been so long that I doubt they are there anymore, otherwise I'd give them a bit of improvement advice. :smile:

Also, I don't know if anyone noticed, but you can now file a claim instantly and entirely online. Subject to a human approval process later, but it still goes through right when you file it online near as I can tell. That's a huge improvement in my book though I haven't gone through the whole process yet.

If you are looking for a spot to do and the GIS data bank has records of mine/claim before 1950 load it in by it self in the area that you are interested in. My belief is in those days a lot of them had to be worked by hand and not loads full of speculation claims these days.

5 hours ago, jasong said:

They need to look at Land Matters and design the interface similarly such that you can click on a claim and pull the report that you would otherwise have to access through the MLRS or LR2000 database, otherwise it's just a toy IMO.

I'm pretty sure that was their intent. The MLRS map originally worked that way, sort of, for a little while on the first day it was live. The same information window you see now would pop up but there were links for each claim's serial register page in the map information window. That only lasted about 2-3 hours before the system locked up. When they brought the mapping back several hours later the links were gone and haven't come back since. Hopefully they will eventually bring back a working system. It's not much of an improvement to have a map if you have to switch over to search the database on a different webpage.

• Like 3

I totally agree with you Clay. The blm lady, though she is very helpful and willing to share her knowledge on this stuff made it sound like a milestone in userablility. It's not. I get better visual identification from land matters than this. Our claim is the first claim that got input into this new system for Montana at end of January or first part of February. I want to be able to see what claims are around our claim.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I am not impressed with the BLM MLRS at all. The maps don't work properly. Also, I sent in a Quitclaim Deed for a transfer of interest in ownership on a claim on Feb.3, 2021. The new owner's name was added to the claim, but the sellers name is still there. I can't use the MLRS to correct this and the BLM says be patient, we will fix it. They haven't yet.

• Oh my! 1

I feel your pain.  I sent in my small miners waiver and annual assessment last August, and still waiting for the update.   At least they did note on one line that monies were received.  Hopefully as long as your county filing is recorded, whats showing on  BLM's screen doesnt really matter.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just played around with MLRS again. The search box now basically takes the place of those insanely complex, clunky, and slow LR2000 search forms. Like, just type a name or claim number straight in and it pulls it up right away. You can search by T/R/S too but the section part is buggy still. Problem is that it only indexes filings new enough to be on the MLRS and not older LR2000 data.

Anyways, still sooo much quicker, and going to be useful in the future as more gets filed on MLRS.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By mn90403
      While looking at this online book I saw a sketch of the San Bernardino meteorite.  The report was published in 1883!

• By Jzconcepts
      Hello, my father lives in SW Utah and I would love to take him nugget shooting somewhere. He is 100% disabled from Vietnam and he can use the shovel as a cane for a while and I am usually his “digger” and pinpointer guy 🙂
      So I was hoping for some info on where I he and I could go nugget hunting, with my Orx in either Az or southern Utah, Nv.
      So we can plan a trip together (researching and reading will give him something to do) 🙂
      He doesn’t have many years left where he can even get around on his own, so any input would be great, thanks in advance
    • By KellycoDetectors
      When metal detecting, whether you are gold prospecting, relic hunting, or water hunting; it is easy to get discouraged. However, it’s important to know that you can better your results in metal detecting if you explore some of these best practices. I prefer to call it Smart Hunting!
      Find a Metal Detecting Location with Google Earth
      Use Google Earth to search your local area for new potential spots. Start off by branching out from where you live. Sometimes there are fields hidden in woods that you can’t see from a major street or road. Keep your eye out for clear stretches of land. You should be able to see the difference between a forest and a field.
      Organize Your Metal Detecting Leads
      If you see something that piques your interest, drop a pin. You can also make separate folders to organize your leads. Just make sure your privacy settings are enabled! You do not want to share your new potential locations right away!
      You can grab the Latitude and Longitude aka coordinates, from Google Maps. Make sure you have this information copied or saved in a separate area, as you will need it.
      Use Historical Aerials
      You may now use Historical Aerials to “peel back time” for your respective area. This website gives you access to many historical aerial photos that may help you refine the area you want to detect in.
      This is great if you are looking for things like old trails and swimming holes.
      If you are looking for old relics and coins then it may be best to look at an atlas for that area. For example, in NJ you can find free Atlases online that date back to the 1800s. All you have to do is search on google. Depending on the atlas you look at it may even show you old homesites, which is a fantastic clue.
      An example of a really great website for atlases is Historic Map Works.
      Research the Property Owner and Ask For Permission
      Once you have found your “prime” location, the next action is to obtain the permission of that area. It is important to always have the permission of the area in which you are detecting and most importantly, never to trespass.
      But, how does one find out who owns that property? Well, there are many ways to obtain information. For now, we will focus on the Smart Hunting aspect.
      There are tools online for each state in the US that allow you to pull up public tax assessment information. Remember when we said save your coordinates? Use the information discovered to build your strategy as you will be given contact information to aid you in your journey to permission.
      If the location in which you are Smart Hunting turns out to be a business, find the website to the company. Try to locate a “contact us” page to strengthen your efforts in getting the permission you are seeking. You may also attempt to create a “Waiver of Liability,” as businesses want to ensure you are not an insurance risk. Do not get discouraged if you get a no. I always try to play the “No” game. And that is how many “No’s” can you get before you get a yes. You will be surprised with your outcome!
      Sometimes if the property is owned by a private resident it will show their contact information. Again, I want to clarify that this is public information. You may choose to find them on social media or send them a well thought out handwritten letter. Why? Because people need to write more handwritten letters. You also have the option to show up at their home. If it is a farm, sometimes this works out as they often have farm stands. Go grab some juicy vegetables and talk yourself into some permission. Need some exercise? Maybe lend a helping hand on the farm! You never know of the doors that will open through the power of positivity.
      If you manage to gain permission, you now have your opportunity to put the Smart Hunting you did to work.
      You have now become a Detective Detectorist!
      Smart Hunting: Metal Detecting With Technology originally appeared on kellyco.com
    • By Northeast
      A few months ago I suggested I was keen to get a copy of Reese's 'Nugget Shooter's Field Guide' but the shipping to Australia was a killer. 
      Fellow forum member Chuck (aka Ridge Runner) took it upon himself to purchase a copy, reached out for my address and posted it to me.  
      What followed was a comical travel itinerary of Chicago to Japan to Chicago to Sydney (actually in Australia!! 🤣) to Chicago to San Antonio to Chicago to Japan...and then for about the last 3 weeks...nothing  😳  I was starting to think that maybe it had travelled one leg too far and it had really lost its way. 
      Until today, when it just turned up in the letterbox without any tracking notifications from within Australia.  Who cares, it's here!!  🥳  🎉
      So, thank you Chuck.  Your kind gesture is truly appreciated.  And thank you for providing your return address.  I know you have asked nothing in return but my friend, when the right thing comes along that is commensurate to my appreciation it will most certainly be making its way to you.  And thank you for the hand written note  😊

This is the second time in the past few months that several forum members (Chuck and a few from the Prospecting Australia site) have been very kind and giving.  Information, helping and kindness are the great components of these forums and is something we can all aim for.  
      Thanks again Chuck   🙏
      Now, I've got some reading to do!!  

• By Cascade Steven
      As I continue my research into bucket dredge tailings areas I am trying to find maps showing at least the general locations of these tailings as they occur in various states.  After many hours of internet research I have found environmental reports, state park reports, and scientific studies on individual sites.  I have also found an old report for the state of Oregon with a page size map.  However I have not yet found a comprehensive map of at least the general location of all dredge tailings for any of the individual western states (other than Oregon).  Nor have I found a comprehensive map of all of the dredge tailings in the western U.S.  Do such maps (or books for that matter) exist for either the states or the western U.S.?  Just curious if I had missed something (maybe even the obvious) or if I was blessed with the opportunity to create such a document from scratch?  Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
    • By oldmancoyote1
      A very useful recent post and comments on mining claims left me with the impression that the public can be excluded from mining claims by the holder. It's quite possible that I misunderstood what was written. Perhaps others were left with some doubt as well.
      The BLM pamphlet "Mining Claims and Sites on Federal and State Lands" reads:
      The Public has the conditional right to cross mining claims or sites for recreational or other purposes and to access federal lands beyond the claim boundaries.
      Technically, my post belongs in the previous mentioned post, but it would be buried and missed by many.  I hope Steve will permit it to exist as an independent post because of its importance to us all.