Andy Sabisch Coin Settings?

EWCoinhunter

Hello,

Anyone try Andy Sabisch coin setting on the Nox? What I would like to understand is I see there is offerings for the 800, but will they also work on the 600? Obviously I swing the 600, and coming from the Etrac using his settings, just wanted to make sure. I know the factory ones are good, but everything needs tweaked at one time or another.

Thanks for any and all feedback. BTW, I am not new to MD, just to the Nox 600.

Andy is a great resource for learning the world of metal detecting for sure.  But what I learned over the years is Pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. It’s up to you to pick the best seat.

Any array of settings is highly dependent on the environment in which you're hunting.  Soil composition, level of moisture, mineralization, target composition and attitude in the soil, presence of EMI and so on.  Andy's settings are a great place to start but you should adjust those settings to meet your environment if you want to unleash your detectors full capability....in other words, it's up to you to pick the "best seat" after Andy gets you in the ball park.  😉

Just the view from my foxhole...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, EWCoinhunter said:

What I would like to understand is I see there is offerings for the 800, but will they also work on the 600?

ColonelDan gave you great advice.  To answer this specific question, the Minelab Equinox 800 and 600 perform identically with the exception of the following:

1) 800 has Gold Mode (also sometimes called 'Prospecting Mode') which is basically a minimally filtered Voltage Controlled Oscillator output (VCO -- both the audio frequency = pitch and also the volume vary with signal strength, target location, etc.).  Besides a simultaneous MultiFrequency option in Gold Mode, single frequencies of 20 kHz and 40 kHz are available.

2) Some settings which are adjustable on both models (Recovery Speed and Iron Bias) have fewer selection options on the 600, and annoyingly are number differently on the two models.  To go from 600 values to 800 values, multipy by 2.)

3) There are some audio adjustment options on the 800 model that aren't available on the 600.  Of particular usefulness to some coin hunters, the tone breaks when in 5-tone can be adjusted on the 800 but not on the 600.

4) 40 kHz single frequency selection is available in most (all?) modes on the 800 but not in any mode on the 600.

5) Not performance differences, but the 800 model also comes with wireless Bluetooth Low Latency ML80 headphones and a proprietary wireless WM08 receiver, contrasted with the 600's included wired headphones.

All of the above info can be found in their excellent User Manual/Guide, which is common to both models and has all the differences between the models clearly indicated.

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback guys. As I mentioned not new and I understand the tones and how I accept tones, etc. in my head. We are all different to say the least. It will take me a bit but I will get her under control in the next months. 

BTW, I went ahead and did purchase the wireless headphones for the 60 as well.

Hope to share my finds once this white stuff outside has melted away, and ground thaws a bit.

Swing low and slow....

I too just purchased the 600 (going on 2 months now), and I have programmed Steve Sabisch's coin hunters program onto it. It works pretty well, but it won't completely get rid of junk. Those pesky rusted bottle caps and pull tabs still sneak up and bite me. Overall though, I like the program. I used to own an E-trac and for some reason, I had better success with pre-programmed coin hunter programs on that MD than with the Nox...just my two cents...

• Like 1

I've been using an Equinox 600 almost daily for three months now. I hunt in a farm, so I've been using mostly default Field 2 (relic settings) from one of Andy's contributors. The only thing I have changed lately is lowering recovery speed from 3 to 2, and changing FE/0 to F2/2. I generally run it kinda hot at 21 sensitivity and keep it in all metal all the time. I can tell when it's too hot because ground contours will cause low tone falsing.

Due to the  immensely variable targets I have in this field I cannot discriminate, so my head has to do all the work. At first I "dug it all", but now have got to the point that I know what is there for the most part.

I can tell a nail or spike from a good target and aluminum is rarely a problem unless it gives me a solid signal. The only thing I always dig is buckshot and tacks because they have the same IDs as many of the buttons I find. Switching to FE/2 cut my iron trash in half as it seems to force iron lower. Of course YMMV, I do not have to ground balance here (or even noise cancel) unless it is right after it rains. Guess I'm lucky!

As mentioned previously, someone else's settings are a building block, but experiences/fiddling still seem to be the best teacher.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CalReg said:

It works pretty well, but it won't completely get rid of junk.

Since I have been using my grandfathers 800, and reading the posts here I have learned from experience that one must dig items that one might think is junk to find the good stuff.

Some of the items that I have dug should have been pull tabs or can slaw, and turned out to be 3cent pieces that are very small.

I have also found some nice jewelry from those ID's that should have been junk also.

I use the factory settings and am a newbie with less than 75 hours on the Nox, but from what I am learning I feel like I am making my way to learning the unit.

This summer I will start playing with the settings, but for now I dig everything with a solid tone above 1.

Good luck and happy hunting.

• Like 3