GPZ 7000: Threshold Vs Sensitivity Vs Volume Vs Volume Limit (with Discussion On Audio Smoothing, Coil Control, Range Of Motion And Manual Ground Balance)

Only question I have left is are we going to have to just talk about the weather once the 6000 makes settings discussions redundant? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, jasong said:

Only question I have left is are we going to have to just talk about the weather once the 6000 makes settings discussions redundant? 

I guess not if you have a 7000. Hope things are going good for you Jason.

1 hour ago, jasong said:

There’s enough user controls on the 6000 to keep us all busy, finding out whats going on under the hood and then using that to good effect is half the fun.

• Like 5

And then of course the speculation about the "8000" will also start soon. We will keep ourselves busy I have no doubt.

I also use range of motion to filter out ground signals, by slowing or speeding my range of motion over suspicous targets I can test the target to see if its worth digging. Which saves me quite a lot of waisted time in digging false targets and allows me to run normal in some pretty trying ground.

• Like 2

Wowsers nice chunk!! Knowing the country you work that piece could go anywhere from 8 to 16 ounces? 

9 hours ago, Gold Hound said:

Do you use Manual Ground Balance much Jp?

I use Manual a lot if the conditions allow or call for it. Outright depth is always achieved by using a fixed or manual ground balance, in the case of the GPZ and its stupidly linked Quick-Trak to the ferrite calibration this means going in and out of Manual and Semi-Auto modes via the menu. If your lucky enough to work in an area where X signal is not an issue then obviously you could use the QT button and speed things up. 

So yes in homogeneous ground where the GB is not altering much over a larger footprint I will definitely operate in Manual GB mode especially when using the larger coils. A prime example is the gully washes up in FNQ and the Kimberlies in WA and also some areas over in the Pilbara in WA.

JP 

• Like 6

• The title was changed to GPZ 7000: Threshold Vs Sensitivity Vs Volume Vs Volume Limit (with Discussion On Audio Smoothing, Coil Control, Range Of Motion And Manual Ground Balance)
1 hour ago, Jonathan Porter said:

A prime example is the gully washes up in FNQ and the Kimberlies in WA and also some areas over in the Pilbara in WA.

I wish to correct your statement here a wee bit JP, a prime example is some gully washes in FNQ, certainly not all, perhaps that was just a typo on your part. I find with patience, persistence and when I`m in the mood manual GB is the way at times, auto or semi auto at other times but manual GB almost all the times in those quiet gullies for max depth no doubt. Actually I have never found areas in any of the OZ states I worked where manual GB can not be used to find gold, maybe this is because I started detecting long before auto GB capable detectors come on the scene but I doubt it. Manual GB to me is simply a setting on the Z that allows it to be more productive at times, tis a most powerful gold detector. PIs I almost always operated in Manual GB, the Z not always as its auto GB settings to me are so much more productive then the PIs that allow the selection of auto or manual GB.

If we disagree here then I am happy to agree to disagree but if you are up this way and you have written property owner permission to detect in my "backyard" I can take you to many such noisy FNQ gullies as I am sure other long term FNQ operators can.

• Like 1