GPZ 7000: Threshold Vs Sensitivity Vs Volume Vs Volume Limit (with Discussion On Audio Smoothing, Coil Control, Range Of Motion And Manual Ground Balance)

11 minutes ago, Gold Hound said:

My philosopy is that since I own a ferrari Im going to drive a ferrari... and drive it HARD and push it to its limits and test mine

Love it, that Ferrari analogy is the go.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gold Hound said:

My philosopy is that since I own a ferrari Im going to drive a ferrari.

I like Ferrari-gold. There might be different ways to get there however...;)

4 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

I plan on posting this "revised" manual in the future for everyone to have.

Just check with Steve H and JP first.  I was going to do the same thing and in the end we decided it was not the best thing to do - copyright issues, etc.  Steve's site, JPs words, my manual - it just seemed messy  👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jasong said:

JP has posted many times that Difficult is inherently high gain built into the timing. So results may be different there.

1 hour ago, afreakofnature said:

Noise Canceled.  Gold Mode: High Yield.  Ground Type: Normal.  Ground Balanced with Semi Auto.  No filters - Audio nor Ground Smoothing.

Yes, that might change things a bit.  95% of my detecting with the Z is in Difficult.  Varies between High Yield and General (more General).  Semi auto GB and no filters.   

But do plan on trying Normal more and bringing in the use of the audio filters as jasong has suggested.   

2 hours ago, Northeast said:

Yes, that might change things a bit.  95% of my detecting with the Z is in Difficult.  Varies between High Yield and General (more General).  Semi auto GB and no filters.   

But do plan on trying Normal more and bringing in the use of the audio filters as jasong has suggested.   

Let discuss those options in a different thread.  Just so we can stay on topic with these controls.  Otherwise we will go in a completely different direction.  Actually alot of that has been discussed before but never the focus on these 4 specific controls.  Thanks Northeast!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northeast said:

Just check with Steve H and JP first.  I was going to do the same thing and in the end we decided it was not the best thing to do - copyright issues, etc.  Steve's site, JPs words, my manual - it just seemed messy  👍

I'll put that in another thread later.  But I am not worried about it.  I am not charging any money for my research 😉.  Or for that matter charging any money for the manual.  I will just be giving away my research for free that anyone else can download  or copy for free on the internet.  My name is not even going to be on it.  Plus everyone is referenced after their post with their DP name.  Think of it as a compilation.  Definitely not a publication.

• Like 1

Do I get a credit for proof reading?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Gold Hound said:

but you can limit the loudness peak of a large/loud response so that you do not blow your ears off every time you detect a 10oz sunbaker😃

unfortunately, I have never had that problem…
(good posts)

I just went and checked where I had my Sensitivity.
It was 18. 

I cover a few different combos of Audio Smoothing and Threshold in this video. 

Volume Limit I pretty much leave on 8 and never touch it. If I'm in a thick trash area and getting consistent loud blasts, I turn my enhancer down a touch and drop the Volume Limit to 7. 

If Minelab ever did another software update to the GPZ, then my No. 1 wish would be to just bring back the Stabilizer 1-20, and add threshold 26.5, but then I'm just one of those guys who loves analogue pots. The immediacy and fine tuning ability of them. 

• Like 3

And here's a few quick tips I wrote back in May 2015. After many more years swinging the GPZ, I still stand by each one.

1. Use a very slow sweep speed - but you don't have to overlap as much as when using a mono

2. Keep the coil just off the ground, light occasional skimming is fine

3. Sensitivity is critical, but often less is more

4. Go easy on your target Volume. 10 is plenty if using headphones.

5. Spend the time to set the optimum Tone to suit your hearing

6. Mellow, repeatable broad signals are usually NOT ground noise

7. Learn to trust the Tracking, it'll save you digging lots of ground noises

Full thread is here, with lots of excellent info and discussion:  https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11703

• Like 4

• The title was changed to GPZ 7000: Threshold Vs Sensitivity Vs Volume Vs Volume Limit (with Discussion On Audio Smoothing, Coil Control, Range Of Motion And Manual Ground Balance)